Something that is amazing.

Discussion in 'IU Football Board' started by fkfootball, Feb 11, 2019.

1. fkfootball

fkfootball Junior
    Expand Collapse

We can't ever seem to get rid of the guys we need to get rid of.

But they fire RMK over nothing.
    Hep gets brain cancer and dies.(Yes, I know his life is the main thing, but it's a point.)
    Sampson starts dominating and gets fired for something currently legal.
    Wilson finally gets it going and gets fired for being an ***hole.

IU is either cursed or just unlucky.

vesuvius13 likes this.
  2. Univee2

Univee2 Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Please don't put Sampson in that group. He broke the rules at Oklahoma. IU hired him, knowing that. He said he wouldn't do it again. He lied. He brought in trash. Be thankful he's gone. He, more than any other actor in this tragedy, put IU where they are now. Others played a role. He had/has the top billing. We should all fart in his general direction.

3. fkfootball

fkfootball Junior
    Expand Collapse

That's my point. We hire this great coach and he screws up again.

vesuvius13 likes this.
  4. Chriselli

Chriselli Senior
    Expand Collapse

My buddy was just saying that what a great coach Sampson was and for fun those teams were to watch. To each his own I suppose.

5. Courtsensetwo

Courtsensetwo Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

And Wilson wasn't getting it going. He failed miserably in roster management particularly at the WB and OL positions. And he is an abusive ahole. Ohios problem now.

6. ElMeson

ElMeson Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

Obviously their problem. Produced a Hiesman finalist and the B1G first, 1st rd draft pick at QB since 1994. A co-OC who’s led a program to back to back conference titles going 12-2 and 13-1. Those poor bastards.

7. Courtsensetwo

Expand Collapse

He did all that? Amazing that he didn't do better at IU. You sure post a lot about Ohio.

vesuvius13 likes this.
  8. Palmbeachhoosier

Expand Collapse

I would disagree that Wilson was not getting it done. He lead the team to back to back bowl games. He hired an offensive coordinator that is now a head coach a defensive coordinator who replaced him.
    Increased talent level on both sides of the ball. He had three solid quarterbacks at one time 2 decided they did not want to compete so they left. The third is in the NFL. As far as o line he had two first team All Americans not many have done that. He had back to back freshman All-American on the o line in Brandon Knight and Coy Cronk. Unfortunately Knight has been hampered by injuries. He has also had a couple of other linemen get NFL look.
    He definitely left the program better than he inherited. Hopefully Tom Allen can take it to the next level.

9. rcaulfie

rcaulfie Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Wilson was here, what, 6 years? And it took him 4 years to get back to back seasons of 6-7, correct? I would say that is not getting it done. And now Tom Allen has started out with back to back 5-7 seasons, and one of the best recruiting classes in recent history. While the 5-7 seasons are disappointing because we didn't get that 6th we needed for a bowl game, I have no doubt we are much better off without the Ahole Wilson.

10. Bowlmania

Bowlmania Junior
    Expand Collapse

No offense, but this is possibly the dumbest post I have ever seen here.

muubell and RBB89 like this.
  11. Palmbeachhoosier

Expand Collapse

I do like having CTA in charge is a great thing. I believe he can do good things for IU. He loves the school. He loves the state. He loves football. He is starting to bring in even better talent and when that talent gains maturity let’s see what happens.
    My argument is with those who say CKW did nothing to elevate the program.

12. ElMeson

ElMeson Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

I’ve never been on board with his firing. Until proven otherwise, I’ll continue to think we have taken a step back. Trust me, I want to eat my words. I live in the Columbus area, kind of like others on this board who live in Louisville that post and point out things about them.

Courtsensetwo likes this.
  13. Hoosiers Rising

Expand Collapse

I never have been good with the why or the how on Wilson's firing, however all you have to do is look at his last two classes to see things were headed towards the crapper. We are still dealing with that now.

14. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Moderator
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't "be good" with the why or the how. Wilson was given clear instructions by his boss which he disregarded. How many of the rest of us would get to keep our jobs doing that? Glass investigated, documented, and gave Wilson more than one chance. He crossed all T's and dotted all I's. When Wilson continued behavior he was told not to continue, he was asked to resign. He wasn't fired. The fact that he agreed to resign instead of forcing Glass to fire him tells the story. A firing would have brought out all the dirty laundry that Wilson decided he didn't want to be aired.
    Wilson cost himself his job. Just because it's sports doesn't mean normal rules don't apply.

15. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Moderator
    Expand Collapse

You're right. Why can't we figure out a way to get rid of Chuck Crabb?

RBB89 likes this.
  16. Hoosiers Rising

Expand Collapse

That was never said however. I'm not saying that it wasnt the case but that is why you have people that still think that he got a raw deal. That is what I have a problem with. Evidently it saved the University money to take the black eye for him, meanwhile Samson got his money and ran.

17. jddpt06

Expand Collapse

While there are a lot of things to like, IMO the jury is still out on Allen. This year's recruiting class (#37) looks good on paper. Too many seem to have forgotten that Wilson brought in back-to-back classes ranked #38. Rankings are fun for fans, but once on campus, those recruits have to develop. Looking back at Wilson's highest rated classes, the majority of the more highly rated players didn't end up producing proportionally to their rating.

And, yes, Wilson certainly elevated the program. We've been to 3 bowls in 25 years. 2 were with Wilson at the helm, and we've stay home since he left.

Indianaftw and Flooded Timber like this.
  18. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Moderator
    Expand Collapse

There's nothing I know about this that isn't in the public domain. Some people just don't want to piece it together and/or think "sports" suspends all the rules of decent human behavior. If Wilson thought he was getting a raw deal, he had every right and opportunity to do something other than resign with a non-disclosure agreement.
    Sampson actually took roughly the same deal that Wilson did- about $750K and a resignation. The wake of destruction left by Sampson vs. Wilson, however, is quite different.

vesuvius13, Courtsensetwo and 76-1 like this.
  19. Courtsensetwo

Expand Collapse

Textbook performance management.

20. Courtsensetwo

Expand Collapse

Chuck is a good guy, he sure carries a lot of keys...

"6' 7 and a Soph-a-more from..."

RBB89 likes this.
  21. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Chuck was a good guy who should have retired a long time ago. I don't care as much that he's boring as I do that he makes about a hundred mistakes a game and can't pronounce any but the simplest names correctly.

22. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Which is why there's no wake of destruction. I don't agree with everything Glass does, but this one he did perfectly.

UncleMark and Courtsensetwo like this.
  23. Courtsensetwo

Expand Collapse

I assume he will retire soon. I just hope they don't replace him with one of those screeching howler monkeys that we hear these days. Just obnoxious and so unnecessary.

hoosier roadtrips likes this.
  24. Courtsensetwo

Expand Collapse

Need to stop this conversation before your buddy show up.

25. Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Big Red Crimson Buffalo Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Hell....you and I could do that with their stocked roster and we aren’t coaches. It’s not as big an achievement as you think.

26. ElMeson

ElMeson Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

We probably could but it wasn’t my point. It was CKW doesn’t seem to be a issue there. Think about the talent at LSU, Michigan or USC. They have equal to or almost as much as them and their offense’s are all average. As I stated earlier, I was a fan of CKW. I’m not a Allen hater, I love the players he is/has brought in but some of our loses the past 2 seasons are head scratchers with the talent we have.

Chriselli likes this.
  27. hoosier roadtrips

Expand Collapse

That reminds me of a situation years ago when I attended a basketball game at Evansville University. The PA announcer was extremely loud whenever the Aces hit a three pointer, so much so that I dreaded whenever the next one occurred. Several years later a student intern from Evansville worked during the summer where I was employed, and I started talking to her and mentioned the PA announcer at the game was really something. She said that was her father and "he was the man." I was just relieved I didn't mention how obnoxious that guy was during the game!

4IUSox2 likes this.
  28. Pigalow

Pigalow All-American
    Expand Collapse

Yes, & all of that not to mention his worst attribute(arguably)as a head coach: he was a truly terrible in game coach.

vesuvius13 likes this.
  29. Pigalow

Pigalow All-American
    Expand Collapse

Sampson dominated? I must've missed a period of time. He ran a Pitino/Tarkanianesque, Vegas Bachelor party program while he was here, minus the on court success.

30. UncleMark

UncleMark All-American
    Expand Collapse

No, he wasn't. That was just the cover story.

LeConte likes this.
  31. HermanB

HermanB Senior
    Expand Collapse

Did you pay any attention when he was at Oklahoma? Never wanted to play them. I, for one, liked the hire.

32. Pigalow

Pigalow All-American
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but did you pay attention when he was at Indiana? The hire looked great at the time, unfortunately it turned out he was thug life, not the great X's & O's high IQ coach he appeared to be. Another in the seemingly endless list of things that shoulda' coulda' woulda' worked out for IU in the big sports(men's B-ball & football), but for a myriad of reasons they just never. F#%!&ng. Do.

33. Courtsensetwo

Expand Collapse

Didn't like the hire when it happened and it went down hill from there.

34. Pigalow

Pigalow All-American
    Expand Collapse

He was excellent at Oklahoma & Washington State. He wasn't here. Aside from the fact that he was running a college basketball team as if it were a trip to a strip club, he didn't coach well! His best team, the '08 squad, held what has become traditional IU form by peaking early & playing BY FAR it's worst ball at the most important time of the season.

35. Euro

Euro Senior
    Expand Collapse

And if not for garbage Purdue teams he never bowls

36. HermanB

HermanB Senior
    Expand Collapse

He won 74% of his games at IU. I think he should get some credit for that. He’s won everywhere he’s been. I get that he brought some baggage with him, and some questionable characters too. Hopefully Archie gets things turned around.

37. coachv jr

coachv jr Junior
    Expand Collapse

perhaps you can taunt him a second time

38. Mas-sa-suta

Mas-sa-suta All-American
    Expand Collapse

As I recall,
    his team was 19-2 and ranked when the IU AD 'self-reported' violations of a rule which was dumped shortly after.
    Yes, his players had issues...but the reckoning could have been performed AFTER the season..

There is no shortage of people who are engaged in damaging IU Athletics at every opportunity.
    It was no different then.
    Kelvin could coach, recruit, and build a staff.
    He would have had great success at IU.

coachv jr and HermanB like this.
  39. reabhnt

reabhnt Benchwarmer
    Expand Collapse

40. reabhnt

reabhnt Benchwarmer
    Expand Collapse

And the athletic department could have taken a % of some players side business.

coachv jr likes this.