ADVERTISEMENT

Something that irks me.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
I went to the IU/ARK game last Saturday. And I decided to walk around the stadium. And man, our football facilities are, how should I put it? Lacking. Our practice field looks rough. The banners around the field are faded pretty bad. Its extremely tacky. Mellencamp is extremely old and outdated. And Memorial Stadium is dirty and has paint chipping everywhere. IU is nickel and diming this stuff.

I went to the IU/ARK game last Saturday. And I decided to walk around the stadium. And man, our football facilities are, how should I put it? Lacking. Our practice field looks rough. The banners around the field are faded pretty bad. Its extremely tacky. Mellencamp is extremely old and outdated. And Memorial Stadium is dirty and has paint chipping everywhere. IU is nickel and diming this stuff.
Not unusual for things to look drab and dreary this time of year. They usually get it spruced up once the weather breaks.

Not unusual for things to look drab and dreary this time of year. They usually get it spruced up once the weather breaks.
I agree...Dayum nothing looks nice this time of year. Hell the landscaping crews aren't out yet, trash, leaves and debris are blown into corners. You can't powerwash and paint in this weather and believe me I know. You drive to work and there is sh!t all over the sides of the road and potholes everywhere.

fk give it a rest. Get back on the board in 2 months and if it still looks bad post pics.

Ummm...really? Its March. They always spruce stuff up as weather changes/closer to the season. They powerwash/repaint the stadium every summer. Mellencamp is fine. It could use some new turf, but I'm not really sure what people want. There's this myth that you cant kick in there, which is false, because there are videos of punting drills in there.

The football practice field looks rough because we just came out of winter. If you follow IUSportsTurf on twitter, you can follow how they get it back in shape. That's why we have three turf fields.

As an aside, I went to Bama’s stadium a couple of years ago in the offseason, and it looked terrible. Concrete was filthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
In the spring of 1984 John Mellencamp had a packed house at the football stadium. Does IU still do events like that?

In the spring of 1984 John Mellencamp had a packed house at the football stadium. Does IU still do events like that?

He had another packed house at the football stadium in the early-to-mid 90s as well. I'm a "cutter" and I can't think of a concert their since...(not to say definitively that they haven't.)

I’m for putting a gigantic statue at both entrances of Mellencamp. Need to put a cigarette dangling from his mouth. That’s an easy addition that becomes a talking point. At the entrance.

lennon+statue+in+the+studio.jpg

Underneath, some inspiring words to the team:
“Some people, say IU football ain’t no damn good! You can’t trust ‘em, you can’t love ‘em. No good deed goes unpunished. But we don’t mind bein’ their whipping boy. We’ve had that pleasure for years and years.”

Reactions: ESalum86
I’m for putting a gigantic statue at both entrances of Mellencamp. Need to put a cigarette dangling from his mouth. That’s an easy addition that becomes a talking point. At the entrance.

lennon+statue+in+the+studio.jpg

Underneath, some inspiring words to the team:
“Some people, say IU football ain’t no damn good! You can’t trust ‘em, you can’t love ‘em. No good deed goes unpunished. But we don’t mind bein’ their whipping boy. We’ve had that pleasure for years and years.”

My recollection is that Mellencamp didn’t want his name on the building. He’s a “quiet support” kinda guy.

My recollection is that Mellencamp didn’t want his name on the building. He’s a “quiet support” kinda guy.
He might have said that, but if he was serious, he would have given the money anonymously.

Mellencamp is in the name, after all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT