ADVERTISEMENT

Something Is Better Than Nothing.

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
like it or not, admit it or not, we now live in a world of 2 or 3 different universes.

those young enough to be relatively safe from covid, say mid/late 30s and younger.

those who are definitely at risk. say over 50.

those in the middle who are at risk enough to need to be careful, but still not near as at risk as olders.

IU could accommodate the different universes.

IU football could pack the east stands with youngers and students who are safe as all general admission seats, and sell up to 1/20th of the west stand's capacity as general admission to the non safe age groups, and let everyone there distance themselves according to their own comfort level.

at only 1/20th of capacity sold, those wanting plenty of distancing on the west side should find ample refuge in the higher rows and corners.

north and south stands remain closed and roped off as a buffer.

no kids sitting with parents on west side.

no youngers at all allowed anywhere near the west stands, and divide up parking accordingly so youngers and olders don't cross on the way to their seats. (no youngers allowed north of 17th st or south of the 45/46 bypass, and west of Woodlawn, at all).

parking for 1/20th of west stand's capacity should easily fit in west and northwest lots.

make all parking free to avoid an additional contact point, and west side entry distanced no contact with just holding up ticket to be viewed from a distance while entering, and all fence gates wide open no turnstiles. (IU will survive if an older sneaks in).

no security checkpoints.

free parking on the east side will remove the temptation of students living in the apts west of the stadium wanting to walk to the east side to save parking money. (don't allow any foot traffic at all to cross Dunn north of 17th).

no west side walkup sales, only presold tickets.

no west side walkup sales at east side windows either.

west tickets can be red and east tickets white, so no one is temped to try and buy a walkup tic on the east side and go sit on the west side.

no concessions open on west side, but allow carry ins on west side only that can fit into a plastic grocery bag size bag or sack..

zero tailgating west of Fess south of 17th, or west of Woodlawn north of 17th.

point being, acknowledging and accommodating the different universes can be done when and if the motivation is there.

This is just ludicrous. 1/20 is way smaller than it would take to physical distance. If you allow families to sit together maybe 1/4 would be plenty. It is outdoors too. And why no kids on the west side? Families can bring children as long as they follow whatever rules are put in place. Maybe require face masks or whatever the wisdom is at the time.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
like it or not, admit it or not, we now live in a world of 2 or 3 different universes.

those young enough to be relatively safe from covid, say mid/late 30s and younger.

those in the middle who are at risk enough to need to be careful, but still not near as at risk as olders.

IU football could pack the east stands with youngers and students who are safe as all general admission seats, and sell up to 1/20th of the west stand's capacity as general admission to the non safe age groups, and let everyone there distance themselves according to their own comfort level.

at only 1/20th of capacity sold, those wanting plenty of distancing on the west side should find ample refuge in the higher rows and corners.

no youngers at all allowed anywhere near the west stands, and divide up parking accordingly so youngers and olders don't cross on the way to their seats. (no youngers allowed north of 17th st or south of the 45/46 bypass, and west of Woodlawn, at all).

parking for 1/20th of west stand's capacity should easily fit in west and northwest lots.

make all parking free to avoid an additional contact point, and west side entry distanced no contact with just holding up ticket to be viewed from a distance while entering, and all fence gates wide open no turnstiles. (IU will survive if an older sneaks in).

no security checkpoints.

free parking on the east side will remove the temptation of students living in the apts west of the stadium wanting to walk to the east side to save parking money. (don't allow any foot traffic at all to cross Dunn north of 17th).

west tickets can be red and east tickets white, so no one is temped to try and buy a walkup tic on the east side and go sit on the west side.

no concessions open on west side, but allow carry ins on west side only that can fit into a plastic grocery bag size bag or sack..

point being, acknowledging and accommodating the different universes can be done when and if the motivation is there.
I actually think you are barking up the right tree here.

Reactions: vesuvius13

no security checkpoints.

We always lived in that world. Those over 50 are always at greater risk of disease, especially those with underlying health conditions. The only difference is people are now more aware of this fact, but even when there's a vaccine for COVID 19, we will still live in that world where those you mention are more immune, and those you mention are still at risk. Nothing will ever change that, no matter what plans or schemes anyone comes up with to make you feel "safe". Sure we can distance, we can clean, we can practice hygiene, but there will always be viruses, diseases, things that can make us sick, things that can kill us. While IU must do what is best for IU, at some point, people will have to make their own decisions on whether to "risk it" or simply stay home or wear protective gear. The days of attending mass events are probably over because even without COVID 19, there's no sure fire 100% guarantee that you can meet with people and not get sick or catch something that could kill you or your loved ones. There's hundreds of viruses spreading throughout the general public on a yearly basis that can do those very things.

Now that we are educated on that, I think you will see IU do a 25% capacity rule to start the season. Not all schools will do this. The first game, will only have players and essential game operators and cameras. The commentators will broadcast from studio. They estimate that will be around 225 people in the stadium. The county that Camp Randall sits in, has a max outdoor capacity limit of 250 or the event will not occur. How the walk up and exiting will be laid out will be interesting to see, because fire and life safety codes still exist and must be followed too. You can't just make in exit in and one exit out if you have over 50 people in any building. At IU, I know that is all being worked out now and planned for. Will be interesting to see what the final layout/plan looks like.

I think you'll see some schools do what Wisconsin will do, and I think you'll see most stay in the 20 to 33% capacity range. I'm sure there will be some that go up to 50% or higher in the South, but the vast majority will not. The key thing is making sure the players are being protected as much as possible to allow the activity to continue.

Reactions: 76-1
Last I heard the NFL was throwing around was.60,000 seat stadium's ..Get a little over 20,000..
That puts Lucas Oil in that range..

We always lived in that world. Those over 50 are always at greater risk of disease, especially those with underlying health conditions. The only difference is people are now more aware of this fact, but even when there's a vaccine for COVID 19, we will still live in that world where those you mention are more immune, and those you mention are still at risk. Nothing will ever change that, no matter what plans or schemes anyone comes up with to make you feel "safe". Sure we can distance, we can clean, we can practice hygiene, but there will always be viruses, diseases, things that can make us sick, things that can kill us. While IU must do what is best for IU, at some point, people will have to make their own decisions on whether to "risk it" or simply stay home or wear protective gear. The days of attending mass events are probably over because even without COVID 19, there's no sure fire 100% guarantee that you can meet with people and not get sick or catch something that could kill you or your loved ones. There's hundreds of viruses spreading throughout the general public on a yearly basis that can do those very things.

Now that we are educated on that, I think you will see IU do a 25% capacity rule to start the season. Not all schools will do this. The first game, will only have players and essential game operators and cameras. The commentators will broadcast from studio. They estimate that will be around 225 people in the stadium. The county that Camp Randall sits in, has a max outdoor capacity limit of 250 or the event will not occur. How the walk up and exiting will be laid out will be interesting to see, because fire and life safety codes still exist and must be followed too. You can't just make in exit in and one exit out if you have over 50 people in any building. At IU, I know that is all being worked out now and planned for. Will be interesting to see what the final layout/plan looks like.

I think you'll see some schools do what Wisconsin will do, and I think you'll see most stay in the 20 to 33% capacity range. I'm sure there will be some that go up to 50% or higher in the South, but the vast majority will not. The key thing is making sure the players are being protected as much as possible to allow the activity to continue.
Not sure about your theory that people over 50 are at a greater risk of getting the disease. Maybe dying from it would be a better statement. If I’m not mistaken Florida just came out with their latest report that states it’s now the younger bunch ones in the 20-30 age bracket ( give or take a few years) that are the ones that make up the majority of new cases. I would much rather sit on the side of the older group because of the awareness of them.

Not sure about your theory that people over 50 are at a greater risk of getting the disease. Maybe dying from it would be a better statement. If I’m not mistaken Florida just came out with their latest report that states it’s now the younger bunch ones in the 20-30 age bracket ( give or take a few years) that are the ones that make up the majority of new cases. I would much rather sit on the side of the older group because of the awareness of them.

no where did i say or imply that olders are more at risk of getting it than youngers.

they are less at risk, because youngers are far more social and interact with far more people on average each day.

the young are going to acquire it at much greater level than the old, due to the differences in social behavior of the different groups.

olders are way more "at risk" of serious complications or death.

those under 35 are relatively immune from serious effects, know it, and their behavior is going to reflect that reality whether olders or society is good with that or not.

so incorporate that reality into any plan one comes up with, rather than denying it and thinking we can stop the young from resuming normal life, with or without the blessing of the olders.

due to these realities, olders and youngers need to keep separated from each other.

that will be inconvenient for both youngers and olders.

regardless, must be done.

covid makes the rules, not us.

on a side note, society needs to have a serious discussion on whether youngers getting it is inherently a bad thing, rather than arguably a good thing.

youngers are the one group that can relatively safely develop a herd immunity population, and arguably the younger they get it for the first time the better.

hoping for a miracle vaccine or treatment is all well and good, but not having a plan B, one based on the reality of the differences in how different age groups are very differently affected, is not in anyone's best interests.

I agree there has always been two or more worlds we live in as most people just haven't been aware of this. We see in many things whether in race relations, political outlooks, religion, or any number of other issues. Today the virus and fear from it have created the knowledge of two different worlds but people with health problems have always had to decide about social isolation. Not everyone can just go to events without consideration of what impact it will have on their health.

Reactions: crossfire74
I meant diseases in general...not just COVID 19.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT