ADVERTISEMENT

Someone earlier threw out a name I hadn't even thought of ...

go_iu

All-Big Ten
Feb 22, 2004
Scott Skiles. I think he'd be great here, especially in recruiting and he was a decent NBA coach. I don't know what he's up to, but I bet he'd take this job

Scott Skiles. I think he'd be great here, especially in recruiting and he was a decent NBA coach. I don't know what he's up to, but I bet he'd take this job
He is definitely intense. If not for his off court issues could have been a really good player for IU . I don't think his name would carry much for recruiting . I doubt he is interested in coaching anywhere as he hasn't been heard of in a long time. His performance in the 83 tournament especially the finals is one of the all time greats. Plymouth wasn't Milan, but it wasn't real far off. I was in HS at the time same conference a couple yrs younger and I remember when Plymouth came to our gym and he was hated. He was a real prick in HS but a great player that didn't have a lot of physical talent.

He is definitely intense. If not for his off court issues could have been a really good player for IU . I don't think his name would carry much for recruiting . I doubt he is interested in coaching anywhere as he hasn't been heard of in a long time. His performance in the 83 tournament especially the finals is one of the all time greats. Plymouth wasn't Milan, but it wasn't real far off. I was in HS at the time same conference a couple yrs younger and I remember when Plymouth came to our gym and he was hated. He was a real prick in HS but a great player that didn't have a lot of physical talent.

I do not recall that Skiles was nearly an IU player...(I remember a few of the off court issues) could you recap for me?

btw...I remember a picture I think it was in the HT of Skiles on the bench at AH in uniform with a towel around his shoulders (could have been a warm up) with Heathcote and they both were gesturing toward the court and they both looked like they were coaching. It was a good shot.

I do not recall that Skiles was nearly an IU player...(I remember a few of the off court issues) could you recap for me?

btw...I remember a picture I think it was in the HT of Skiles on the bench at AH in uniform with a towel around his shoulders (could have been a warm up) with Heathcote and they both were gesturing toward the court and they both looked like they were coaching. It was a good shot.

He was a mess in college, DUI, cocaine possession (charges dropped as he pled guilty to lesser crime of marijuana possession). He spent like 15 days in jail I believe. By most accounts he cleaned himself up and has been a decent NBA coach.

I wonder if he is "too intense" for the modern college bb player though.

He was a mess in college, DUI, cocaine possession (charges dropped as he pled guilty to lesser crime of marijuana possession). He spent like 15 days in jail I believe. By most accounts he cleaned himself up and has been a decent NBA coach.

I wonder if he is "too intense" for the modern college bb player though.

That's the stuff that I remember...the poster may have "typo'd" IU when he meant to type MSU...I interpreted his post to indicate that Skiles nearly attended IU. He was always the kind of player that I thought, personal issues aside, would thrive at IU under RMK.

Skiles was an ‘82 grad from Plymouth. I was in the same class, but from nearby South Bend. The downside of him coaching here would be if he did really well he’d be MSU’s next coach to replace Izzo.

That's the stuff that I remember...the poster may have "typo'd" IU when he meant to type MSU...I interpreted his post to indicate that Skiles nearly attended IU. He was always the kind of player that I thought, personal issues aside, would thrive at IU under RMK.

What I was saying if he didn't have the off court issues RMK likely would have recruited him and would have been a good fit on the court

What I was saying if he didn't have the off court issues RMK likely would have recruited him and would have been a good fit on the court
He was committed to Purdue at one point and backed out. Do have that correct? I was at the first game he played in west Lafayette and I had never seen anything like it. Skiles would touch the ball and the entire arena would show him how much they disliked him. Not once, every single time he touched the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT