ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

council

Benchwarmer
Gold Member
Mar 18, 2003
Beckman gets Illini bowl eligible. Jerry Kill gets it done at Minny with two and three star recruits, Nebraska and possibly Michigan looking for new coaches. At least our coach won't be leaving for a new job. Very disappointed this season as we should have been bowl eligible. Sudfeld back and a bunch of veterans with a somewhat improved defense should have us bowl eligible in year 5 of Wilson. Glass and the admin should emphasize the importance of a bowl bid in 2015 and if not his tenure at IU should end.

Have to agree

I like Wilson, but barring catastrophic injury to key players another season with no bowl should be it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Pfffftttt . . .

drawing lines in the sand, hunh . . . well, on what basis do you think you're entitled to demand that . . . perhaps you can explain your financial support of the athletic department's budget>

Otherwise, I politely suggest that you go pound sand, quietly . . . .

Re: Pfffftttt . . .

I second that. You left out the part about, "take a hike". This causes me to recall Winston Churchill's advice, " never argue with a fool. He will talk you down to his level and beat you with experience".

Things happen; Depth Cures.

What makes OSU very good again this year is depth; what has hurt PSU is the lack of depth. Schools like Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, etc. have not had the luxury of depth. Coach Wilson has been building. The defense against PU had Fant, Scales, Allen, Gooch, Latham, Dutra . . . . the stars are young. The depth is building.

Other than additional practice time

I don't get all of the hype of going to a meaningless
bowl game. A bowl game did help Lynch much and
a not so meaningless Rose Bowl trip did not help
Illinois's Zooker much. If a coach continues to lose
after a bowl appearance he will still be fired.

Re: Other than additional practice time

Well s bowl will help keep the varsity club members sending in their contributions.

It is also a very nice recruiting tool as well but the main benefit to a team as young as ours is the extra practice.
It is about the same as having another spring practice session.

I seem to remember in the past that they allowed non bowl teams to continue practicing through the end of the year.
Anyone else remember that?

Do you seriously think Wilson needs the importance of winning...

explained to him? I mean, actually winning games is a little more complex than that.

VC members will continue to contribute if for no other reason
than to get the good seats for basketball.

There is no evidence that a minor bowl has ever
improved recruiting, especially for the team
that loses the bowl game. KY had two consecutive
bowl appearances with no impact on recruiting,
cupboard was left empty for the replacement coach
after their coach retired.

Most teams according the NCAA actually lose
money going to the minor bowls. Aside from the
extra practice time the bowl thing makes no sense.

No doubt minor bowls are not money makers.
Os there any evidence that a minor bowl hurts your recruiting?

I see it as a baby step for the team, coaches and fans.

Gotta start someplace and I doubt our next bowl will be the Rose Bowl.

BTW the insight bowl was most likely considered a "minor bowl" but I really enjoyed going to it.

Wilson knows that already

ALL head coaches know their future is based on bowl games, W-L record, and other requirements of a head coach ... such as getting along with your enemies.

He and Glass talk on a weekly basis from what Fred says ... I'm sure "your point" has been covered.....lol

Re: I'm curious

I am curious who your top 5 coaches would be for the IU job? Who do you feel could do something very few have done at IU in a 100 years do ... win consistently?

I admit CW has made more than enough bonehead in game decisions.

Who would have you liked to been coaching IU? I still believe Lynch would NOT have done any better than what we have seen the past 4 years.

Re: Bowl Money

My memory may be bad but isn't all the Big10 bowl money shared equally by all Big10 teams whether they play in a bowl or not?

Can someone with a better memory than mine, answer this?

Re: I'm curious

Well, if Lynch would have had the same backing/facilities, we would be ahead of where we are now.........just like Wilson, you need time to build a program.

I never really thought about who I would want coaching...........I thought Wilson was a good hire until he came in and proved he was a arrogant dumbass to the people of Bloomington.....but I gave him time....then some of his bonehead plays and timeouts really had me thinking.....and all the coaches leaving a "great " opportunity.......

So, I really don't think it was so much the coaches as the support and facilities.

Bet Wilson wishes he'd had more Lynch WR recruits this year.....

I love all the talk about 'patience' when Lynch was fired after 1 year interim coach and 3 years HC. How could he even recruit with Hep dying and an interim tag next to his name?

Yet in year 3 as HC, he is 5-6, beat PU @ PU, and was a dropped Demarlo pass vs Iowa away from another bowl year.

This constant trashing of Lynch is laughable, when compared to Wilson's record.

Re: Bet Wilson wishes he'd had more Lynch WR recruits this year.....

Lynch typically had a much, much easier schedule. The 5-7 team in 2010 beat Towson, Akron, and WKU that had a combined record of 4-31. They also barely beat a pair of 4-8 teams in Ark St and Purdue. That 2010 team was probably 2 plays away from 3-9.

From 2008-2010, Lynch beat 1 team with a winning record (and that win required 5 turnovers by NW) and sometimes struggled to beat some bad MAC/non-power conference teams. The one time Lynch played a good MAC team, IU got destroyed. While Wilson has lost several winnable games, they have been close games against decent teams that Lynch would have lost to as well, and possibly been blown out by.

WKU? Easy? They beat BGSU this year. We lost to BGSU this year.

See how stupid that is?

How well do YOU think our WRs performed this year?

You don't have to be very objective to realize not much has changed in 4 years, except for an overall improvement in Defense. Lynch should have/may have shaken up his staff, but he didn't get 4 years.

Re: WKU? Easy? They beat BGSU this year. We lost to BGSU this year.

The 2010 and 2014 WKU teams are vastly different teams and in no way comparable. In 2010, they went 2-10 and were in their 2nd season as an FBS school - that year they were probably on the level of Indiana St.

Re: WKU? Easy? They beat BGSU this year. We lost to BGSU this year.

Lynch's OOC opponent win average = 3.5

Wilson's OOC opponent win average = 7

Re: You're the one using WKU as an example of an easy schedule.

And I qualified that example with the fact that WKU was a terrible team in 2010 when Lynch beat them.

Re: So is the B1G schedule harder or easier this year vs 2010?

I was just pointing out the OOC schedule because that's the place that on paper gives Lynch some better records.

However, the conference schedule also in Wilson's favor.

Lynch went 1-7 in the conference for 3 years.

Wilson won 2 and 3 conference games the previous 2 years. Just 1 win this year, but probably would have been at least 3 with Sudfeld.

If you include Missouri, Wilson has 6 wins against power conference teams and Lynch had 3.

This post was edited on 12/1 12:19 PM by turney333

Re: You didn't answer the question. That's OK = we know why.

2010 Conference schedule

OSU 12-1
Wisc - 11-2
Iowa - 8-5
NW - 7-6
PSU - 7-6
Ill - 7-6
Mich - 7-6
Pur - 4-8

OSU 11-1
MSU - 10-2
Mary - 7-5
Rut - 7-5
Iowa - 7-5
PSU - 6-6
Mich - 5-7
Pur - 3-9

Those look pretty similar, though perhaps 2010 was SLIGHTLY tougher, but no where no near the disparity in the OOC schedule where Lynch accumulated his wins.

This post was edited on 12/1 12:48 PM by turney333

Comparing WKU and BGSU to past years????

A stupid comparison. Look at the schedule strength of each year but no way can you compare two teams from this year to Lynch's year.

That's what i'm trying to tell your buddy - that you can't compare one year

To the next just based on won-loss records.

But he's a slow learner.

Re: buddies?

I don't have buddies. Besides, YOU were the won that started the WKU and BGSU comparisons.

This post was edited on 12/1 1:06 PM by iubhounds

Sure final record might not always be the best indicator to compare year to year results, but that also applies to iu. We can have worse record but still be a significantly better team than 2010. Thanks for punching holes in your own argument.

Turney and IUBhounds, I suggest you both read Dick K's

post above about Churchill, and apply it accordingly to Wissler.

Re: Not me. He was the one who cited WKU first.

I cited that a 2-10 WKU team was an easy win in 2010.

Re: Turney and IUBhounds, I suggest you both read Dick K's

Thanks, very good advice, I kept telling myself one more comment and that would be it, but I just couldn't stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT