ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts going into the season...

Good stuff.

When I asked on your initial posting about how do you define the point guard position, it relates to what I believe is the focus they should have – making their team better. What should their focus be?

Stats tell you a lot. To me, it’s not just stats that shine in the newspaper stories, but those that are an indicator – and validator – of how you play.

Of course, shooting is a strength Yogi has over Dunn. The last two years Ferrell has shot the 3-pt shot at about 41% (170-417), as opposed to Dunn’s 34% (31-91 over 2 yrs; RS one season). But should Yogi shoot as many 3pt’s as he does? Look at these stats:

2012-13: 23-76 3prts; 147 asst; 75 TO’s

2013-14: 88-220 3prts; 125 asst; 84 TO’s

2014-15: 82-197 3prts; 166 asst; 65 TO’s

I know we graduated a number of scorers in 2013. But the next year you had Vonleh down low, and by all accounts he was never utilized the way he should have been. It goes back to Yogi trying to do too much.

One of the big complaints on Yogi (and compliments on Dunn) is defense. With his 6-4 frame and wide wingspan, Dunn is built to be a better defender. But just how much better?

Stats again tell the story:

Dunn

Fr – 29 Steals; 77 fouls (3 DQ’s)

So – 90 Steals; 101 fouls (1 DQ’s)

Yogi

Fr – 28 Steals; 60 fouls (0 DQ’s)

So – 24 Steals; 54 fouls (0 DQ’s)

Jr – 24 Steals; 59 fouls (0 DQ’s)

I know Yogi is smaller in stature than Dunn. But it’s pretty clear from looking at this the issue with Ferrell’s defense. See the correlation between # of fouls and # of steals? Numbers don’t lie. And Dunn did it with only fouling out 4 times.

And for those who want to make excuses for Yogi, here are the numbers for Aaron Craft’s Jr/Sr seasons at Ohio St.

Jr – 77 Steals; 69 fouls (1 DQ’s)

Sr – 89 Steals; 85 fouls (1 DQ’s)

Craft might have been two inches taller than Yogi, but Yogi is a TON quicker than Craft ever thought about being. But who got more out of their skills? And, again, Craft DQ'd only two times.

It is TOTALLY inexcusable for a player with the athletic ability of Ferrell to have these numbers. And it is totally understandable why Indiana’s defense has been poor the past two seasons. Yogi, as the PG and not only the leader of the team but the first line of defense up top, has done an extremely poor job of utilizing the talents he has.
That one stat doesn't tell the whole story about Yogi.

And our defense was poor LAST season. The year before with Vonleh we were top 50ish. If you're talking about this year, well, the season hasn't started but it looks better than last year already. So.

That one stat doesn't tell the whole story about Yogi.

And our defense was poor LAST season. The year before with Vonleh we were top 50ish. If you're talking about this year, well, the season hasn't started but it looks better than last year already. So.
That one stat tells everything about Yogi.

How can Craft have as much steals in 1 year as Yogi has had in HIS WHOLE IU CAREER? It's called determination, playing hard and leadership.

Again, Yogi is too good of an athlete to have the numbers that he does. They are a direct reflection of his efforts to date.

That one stat tells everything about Yogi.

How can Craft have as much steals in 1 year as Yogi has had in HIS WHOLE IU CAREER? It's called determination, playing hard and leadership.

Again, Yogi is too good of an athlete to have the numbers that he does. They are a direct reflection of his efforts to date.
Haha. Ok man. I don't think you're close to being right but nobody is gonna change your mind so it's not worth it.

Haha. Ok man. I don't think you're close to being right but nobody is gonna change your mind so it's not worth it.

Not "haha"

What is a damn bit funny about your PG - who is a great athlete - having less steals for his entire career than another PG - who is not nearly as athletic - has in a SINGLE season?

Don't think I'm close to being right? Tell me, you see Yogi playing out in passing lanes? Hawking the ball? Or - God Forbid - get on someone to play D?

Those are the things Aaron Craft did. It's those intangibles that a great PG brings to the table. And those things missing from Yogi's game have a lot to do with IU struggling the last two years.

Not "haha"

What is a damn bit funny about your PG - who is a great athlete - having less steals for his entire career than another PG - who is not nearly as athletic - has in a SINGLE season?

Don't think I'm close to being right? Tell me, you see Yogi playing out in passing lanes? Hawking the ball? Or - God Forbid - get on someone to play D?

Those are the things Aaron Craft did. It's those intangibles that a great PG brings to the table. And those things missing from Yogi's game have a lot to do with IU struggling the last two years.
This is not on yogi..its the difference in programs emphasis.

Reactions: T.M.P.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT