ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts after Maryland

ESalum86

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
** It felt good to win!

** Bad roads slowed me down when I left home (Elkhart) at 7:00. Between oh for October and cold weather I didn't expect a big crowd. What I really didn't expect was ZERO traffic as I pulled off 37 at the College Ave exit at 11:15, pulled onto the bypass and then rolled right into lot 12 where I had a huge choice of parking spaces 10 minutes later.

** Loved my seats: section 30, row 12. Loved even more watching the game with some former IU Evans Scholar alums, including my old roomie.

** It felt really good to win!

** Wonder what it feels like to stop a team from scoring on their opening drive?

** Maryland has some big boys. Their backup QB has a rocket arm. Was watching him warm up throwing 5 yard FASTBALLS while their starting QB was on the turf. Again when he came out at halftime.

** I really don't know what play was sweeter: Ramsey's TD run or the 37 yard TD pass to Hale. Both were impressive!

** Damn, that win felt good!

** From my vantage point, it appeared as thought the east stand crowd stayed throughout the game. The west stand started shrinking noticeably in Q4. Is this accurate?

** The tone on this board seems a little better the past 48 hours.

** UM is gonna be looking toward Bucky. Punch 'em in the nose. When they stare at you wondering what happened, punch 'em in the nose again. When they grab their nose and yell "OW!", kick 'em square in the cajonies and then knee 'em in the nose when they bend over!

** Yep, life is better with a win!

Like you, made the long road trip (in my case from Mississippi). This is my third home game of the season. I buy season tickets, but--other than the "home opener" and the "Bucket game"--I usually try to select "50-50" or turning point games to attend, Maryland seeming to be one before the season started.

In regard to your post and related notes:

• Yes, this seems to be a pattern with an Allen defense over the three years of his tenure at IU; they give up points on the first drive and then stiffen.
  • Thank goodness the defense limited Maryland to field goals rather than touchdowns in the first quarter.
  • There were more fans than I expected (but my expectations were 15 to 20,000) with the stands continuing to fill in until the mid-way point of the first quarter.
  • It was warmer than expected as long as the sun was above the stands.
  • Those Ben Pretzels and honey mustard are outstanding down on the lower level. The pretzels sold in the traditional concession stands taste like cold cardboard.
  • The Ramsey touchdown run woke-up the team and the crowd. Huge early momentum shift.
  • To the best of my recollection, Indiana has won every game it led at halftime and lost every game it trailed at the mid-way point.
  • James Head (#6), freshman defense end, is a difference maker. Wish he could get some more playing time down the stretch.
  • Ty Fryfogle (#3) seems to catch everything thrown in his direction; he has really blossomed in his sophomore season.
  • Celebrating a Hoosier Big Ten victory with my son is always special.

Last edited:
** It felt good to win!

** Bad roads slowed me down when I left home (Elkhart) at 7:00. Between oh for October and cold weather I didn't expect a big crowd. What I really didn't expect was ZERO traffic as I pulled off 37 at the College Ave exit at 11:15, pulled onto the bypass and then rolled right into lot 12 where I had a huge choice of parking spaces 10 minutes later.

** Loved my seats: section 30, row 12. Loved even more watching the game with some former IU Evans Scholar alums, including my old roomie.

** It felt really good to win!

** Wonder what it feels like to stop a team from scoring on their opening drive?

** Maryland has some big boys. Their backup QB has a rocket arm. Was watching him warm up throwing 5 yard FASTBALLS while their starting QB was on the turf. Again when he came out at halftime.

** I really don't know what play was sweeter: Ramsey's TD run or the 37 yard TD pass to Hale. Both were impressive!

** Damn, that win felt good!

** From my vantage point, it appeared as thought the east stand crowd stayed throughout the game. The west stand started shrinking noticeably in Q4. Is this accurate?

** The tone on this board seems a little better the past 48 hours.

** UM is gonna be looking toward Bucky. Punch 'em in the nose. When they stare at you wondering what happened, punch 'em in the nose again. When they grab their nose and yell "OW!", kick 'em square in the cajonies and then knee 'em in the nose when they bend over!

** Yep, life is better with a win!

Like you, made the long road trip (in my case from Mississippi). This is my third home game of the season. I buy season tickets, but--other than the "home opener" and the "Bucket game"--I usually try to select "50-50" or turning point games to attend, Maryland seeming to be one before the season started.

In regard to your post and related notes:

• Yes, this seems to be a pattern with an Allen defense over the three years of his tenure at IU; they give up points on the first drive and then stiffen.
  • Thank goodness the defense limited Maryland to field goals rather than touchdowns in the first quarter.
  • There were more fans than I expected (but my expectations were 15 to 20,000) with the stands continuing to fill in until the mid-way point of the first quarter.
  • It was warmer than expected as long as the sun was above the stands.
  • Those Ben Pretzels and honey mustard are outstanding down on the lower level. The pretzels sold in the traditional concession stands taste like cold cardboard.
  • The Ramsey touchdown run woke-up the team and the crowd. Huge early momentum shift.
  • To the best of my recollection, Indiana has won every game it led at halftime and lost every game it trailed at the mid-way point.
  • James Head (#6), freshman defense end, is a difference maker. Wish he could get some more playing time down the stretch.
  • Ty Fryfogle (#3) seems to catch everything thrown in his direction; he has really blossomed in his sophomore season.
  • Celebrating a Hoosier Big Ten victory with my son is always special.
Thank you guys for being who you are...great fans. Would have loved to be there.

#1 agreement...damn it felt good to get a win. And yes that TD by Ramsey changed the entire tone of the game.

My wife thought I was having a stroke...I was fist pumping and shouting hot damn!

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT