ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts about the D for next year..........

iuin1994

Sophomore
Feb 27, 2006
Looking at the front 7, something I wouldn't mind seeing/hope to see happen. If Mangieri could add 10-15 pounds by next season, I would like to see him moved to DE. Not that he wasn't good at OLB this year, but two things:

1. IU needs more pass rush/penetration from the DL. Mangieri is one of their top rushers. This would give a complement to Latham on the other side. I hate when IU only brings 3 rushers, but at least then 2 of IUs top rushers would both be on the line.

2. I think its obvious that IUs best and deepest position on D is at LB. Scales and Simmons look set for ILB, with Newton or Willis at the wide-side OLB. I think IU needs to get Gooch on the field. By the end of the year, he was beginning to make plays. By next year, he should be 250+ and would seem like a nice fit for the OLB spot Mangieri had. He would be close to the same size and a little more athletic/a little better in space.

If you name the top 7 DL and LBs for IU, Gooch and Mangieri are probably both on that list and this would get them both on the field.

I wouldn't mind him in the DL rotation either....

If he gets bigger, if not, he could rotate at OLB also. He was pretty solid this year, but I would have Mangieri and Gooch ahead of him.

I expect Oliver and Sykes to back up the ILB spots....

It's that depth at LB that makes me think moving Mangieri makes sense.

It sounded like he almost played this year....

So it would make sense for him to be in the 2-deep. Same with McCray at OLB.....backing up Gooch potentially.

I was just thinking about Mangieri/Gooch in particular, but....

Hoff and Green should be good at NT. Hoff surprised me this year, I really expected Green to start. I would say Green didn't quite progress as much as I thought he might, but Hoff played well. He seems to fit the system really well. That's a good combo at NT......almost 650 lbs at NT there.

Re: It sounded like he almost played this year....

From what I have pieced together, my understanding is that Sykes is the best athlete among LBs on the team, but coming in late, he was just a little behind in developing chemistry with the coaches and players and understanding team concepts compared to the other freshmen. Probably caught up during the season and could have played, but with how deep we are at LB, there was no point in burning his RS.

wouldn't be surprised

If we lose a couple of LB'ers to transfer over the next season or so. So many quality bodies and only so many spots.
Wish a couple of them were corners.

GO HOOSIERS
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Nobody's mentioned Clyde Newton

He's made some plays as well the last couple years!

This is my reasoning for Mangieri moving to DL......

and to a lesser degree Shaw. Mangieri in particular should be able to get up to 270+ and that would be big enough for DE. That's more snaps for the other guys at LB.

Re: It sounded like he almost played this year....

Tegray Scales is probably the most athletic LB on the team. Not saying Sykes isn't up there, but Scales is very athletic. The LB spot should be very solid for the foreseeable future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT