ADVERTISEMENT

"Some of our friends on this forum are racists."

I don't know if folks on here are racist ... but the dance they preform is something else.It's a dance that should not happen. Anyone can see it but themselves.

Perform.
Not preform.

Anyone who actually lived through the Civil Rights Movement, and saw real racists and Klan at work, takes great offense at being called racist, or being the subject of accusatory questions designed to leave the impression that you are a racist. Young people today throw the term around like candy. They lack the history to understand why it is so offensive to make false claims of racism.

As I have said elsewhere, falsely calling someone a racist or a Klan or a Nazi is not the typical political insult. In no small part BECAUSE of the racism used to fight against MLK and the SCLC, and the actions of the real Nazis, etc., "the law" takes a different view about falsely claiming a person is one of them.

It is not OK.

My advice - call people an asshole, not a racist. It's both legally safer and probably more accurate.

Perform.
Not preform.

Anyone who actually lived through the Civil Rights Movement, and saw real racists and Klan at work, takes great offense at being called racist, or being the subject of accusatory questions designed to leave the impression that you are a racist. Young people today throw the term around like candy. They lack the history to understand why it is so offensive to make false claims of racism.

As I have said elsewhere, falsely calling someone a racist or a Klan or a Nazi is not the typical political insult. In no small part BECAUSE of the racism used to fight against MLK and the SCLC, and the actions of the real Nazis, etc., "the law" takes a different view about falsely claiming a person is one of them.

It is not OK.

My advice - call people an asshole, not a racist. It's both legally safer and probably more accurate.

There's a purpose in hurling the term at people. Asshole doesn't achieve that purpose.

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
There's a difference between racist as an adjective and racist as a noun.

I'll cop to acting/thinking/behaving in a racist fashion. Not often, unintentionally, and shameful in retrospect.

I don't think that makes me a racist.

Goat said that some are racists, and every one of the board's not-racists felt personally offended, even though they hadn't been called racists. "Hey, it looks like that shoe fits me," they angrily volunteered. "How dare you cast out a shoe that I'll wrench onto my foot then get bent about it!"

This is white racial resentment in action. They always think that any discussion of race includes them as racists, even though subjectively, few of them likely believe that minorities are inferior. Instead, modern not-racists feel that they are beleaguered. They're bitter and resentful that government is giving all the Glengarry leads to pampered minorities. Instead of lashing out at the wealthy who've hoovered up virtually all of our rising national income, they punch down at the undeserving minorities that they imagine are benefitting at their expense. They're sick and tired of being disrespected by their supposed betters, and they've acted out by electing Trump President. Anyone who criticizes him attacks and defames them, because their support for him is all about their own identity.

I remember when an "identity" was something that angry white men thought that only Others had. The American default setting was white and Christian and heterosexual and male. Anything that benefitted the default setting was regarded as a universal principle. But now that there's growing agreement that the benefits of our society should extend equally to everyone -- including the Others who comprise an increasingly large slice of America -- they've come to feel their white identity very intensely. Trump supporters think that our society now discriminates against white people. Against them in particular.

This is the coalition of butthurt white people, with their infantile grievances and their infantile resentments always worn on their sleeves. I find this a very unattractive group, even though few of them are likely to be old-timey racists. It's mostly just pathetic.

Perform.
Not preform.

It is not OK.

"I don't consider myself a racist, I don't hate other peoples, but I certainly want to preserve my own. And I think that's true of all people." David Duke, Podcast (25 August 2006)

It seems that some racists deny being racists.

It means I'm done with this discussion. You people are so intent on attacking me, you'll flat out lie about what is right in front of your faces.

/unfollow
I never lied in my comments sir. And although I am not a master of the written word the English was pretty clear. I am not attacking you goat. I ask for some clarification.

I am not getting involved with this debate, but since I have been here conservatives have complained about moderators far more often. This includes the Buzz and Doug regimes and both were, at their leadership times, Republican.

Complaints about Goat may/may not be valid, that is not my point. My point is of conservatives did not feel the need to always work the ref it would be easier to tell when their complaints are legit.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
I am not getting involved with this debate, but since I have been here conservatives have complained about moderators far more often. This includes the Buzz and Doug regimes and both were, at their leadership times, Republican.
Sure. They complain about news coverage (so they started their own network). Every other word out of Trumps mouth is "unfair". Being a conservative is an act of courage unlike any other. They are the oppressed.

Sure. They complain about news coverage (so they started their own network). Every other word out of Trumps mouth is "unfair". Being a conservative is an act of courage unlike any other. They are the oppressed.
They have treated President Trump unfairly, The press attack him like a pack of mad dogs.

The lefties on here don't get it nor their brothers and sisters in the country. Until they do they will keep losin, cuz you know we all a bunch of racists.

Actually, you are.

Look at everything the Right CRUCIFIED Obama for.

Trump is 100 times worse on ALL of them and we get nothing but excuses.

An why put it in race? Because you guy also think all Mexicans are criminals, all Muslims are terrorists and so on. Plus, all that Birther crap.

Actually, you are.

Look at everything the Right CRUCIFIED Obama for.

Trump is 100 times worse on ALL of them and we get nothing but excuses.

An why put it in race? Because you guy also think all Mexicans are criminals, all Muslims are terrorists and so on. Plus, all that Birther crap.

Obama was crucified for his doings and beliefs. Nothing to do with skin color. And your last statement regarding Mexicans and Muslims is an absolute fabricated lie.

Obama was crucified for his doings and beliefs. Nothing to do with skin color. And your last statement regarding Mexicans and Muslims is an absolute fabricated lie.

Birthirism had nothing to do with skin color? (rolleyes)

Obama was crucified for playing too much golf......Trump plays far more golf (after vowing he wouldn't play ANY golf) and the cult doesn't care.

Obama was crucified for using a teleprompter......Trump uses it far more and the cult doesn't care.

Obama was crucified for drawing a red line and then not backing it up.....Trump did the same thing and the cult is silent.

Obama was crucified for being arrogant......Trump is 100,000 times worse and the cult actually praises him for it.

The list is literally endless.

And it's not a lie at all. I bet every Muslim in the country has been told to "go back home" by some redneck. Heck, even Sikhs have been called "Muslim terrorists" and kicked off planes.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
"The left is making this about equivalency in order to deflect".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have to agree. being the lesser of the evils doesn't make something right.

that said, the political IQ of the left is below zero. (that's why they keep losing elections they shouldn't).

if you're opponent is making a total and complete public fool of themselves, just get out of the way and let them.

and that's just what the white supremacists were doing in Charlottsville, and the left not just letting them make public fools of themselves only made the story something other than just racist idiots making public fools of themselves and looking like Nazi hoodlums.

an image of the crowd just standing there laughing at them would have made a much more powerful image for the left.

If you read quotes and watch interviews of Trump voters, and a lot of hard core Rs in general, the IQ of democratic candidates isn't the problem.

If you read quotes and watch interviews of Trump voters, and a lot of hard core Rs in general, the IQ of democratic candidates isn't the problem.
Right. Its their policies, where they have any, that is disliked by voters along with constant attacking the other side without offering anything for themselves. They haven't lost 1007 major elected positions in 3 cycles because they put forth great ideas.

That's bullshit.

Even as of 2016, only 25% of Republicans agreed that Obama was born in the US.

Trump won by appealing to the plurality within the party that never even believed that Obama was a legitimate President. It's pretty clear from your long running commentary which bucket of the party you fit in with.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...partisan-divide-over-birther-question-n627446

I'd still like you to name one thing that Trump has actually done to benefit you or anyone else, other then stick it to the left and act like a buffoon.

I am curious what the alternatives are? I believe racism is alive and well in this country. Sure, down from Bull Connor's day, but still very much a problem. I know we fundamentally disagree on this point, but for a moment, accept my conclusion. If racism (sexism, homophobia) are real and active, what should we do? Is that identity politics?

I am curious what the alternatives are? I believe racism is alive and well in this country. Sure, down from Bull Connor's day, but still very much a problem. I know we fundamentally disagree on this point, but for a moment, accept my conclusion. If racism (sexism, homophobia) are real and active, what should we do? Is that identity politics?

We do not fundamentally disagree that racism still exists in this country. That is the reason for the freak out that some of us on the right have had on this board for the last week. We are being judged on our perceived race and political leanings and are then being placed in a box by some of you guys. It is hard to have any conversation because they invariably devolve to "you are a terrible person. See exchanges between crazed and Rock in the DACA thread. They are not even having the same conversation.

I think you combat racism the way it was dealt with when I was in grade school. We talked about the differences in cultures and we learned to respect them. But we also focused heavily on the "American" culture that binds us all together. As the extremely liberal Salon author mentioned, everything else becomes subordinate when we elevate race to the most important factor in every topic.

White Nationalism blows, you want to know why? Outside of the fact that judging anyone by a genetic characteristic is the most base form of thinking and completely devalues the idea of individuality, the color of skin does not monolithically determine our policy preferences. There are many minorities who do tend to think like I do on a wide range of topics. The thrust of politics is for your ideas to win. My ideals are not advanced when my political party starts off by alienating so many potential allies.

Identity politics breeds racial animosity. It becomes that which it proclaims to abhor. How do I help racial resentment and Racism? First, you isolate and ridicule racist thought when it hits the public arena. Yeah, they pop up from time to time but you let them look silly and then you point out how silly they are. Comedy is powerful. If you have seen Dave Chappelle's Clayton Bixby bit, that is what works. You know what the image of Charlottesville would have been if Antifa did not get involved? A bunch of misguided young white guys with bad haircuts walking around with Bed Bath and Beyond tiki torches. They are absurd, let them be absurd and they will never be anything more than fringe groups. I would also stop all the intersectionality arguments.

I disagree with the political direction that the article's author would like to go but I wholeheartedly welcome his prescription to change the debate. Economics impacts white, black, and brown alike. Focus on the economic argument and not on the racial component where it is not needed. Democrats lost the white working class vote to the alt right because they made those people the enemy. You know what would help the black and white working class? Well paying jobs. You know what Democrats are perceived to be worried about? How much better off those white working class people have it because of their white privilege. And black people are given the message that they will truly not have a chance unless they knock white folks down a peg. Meanwhile, the economic disparity that Democrats used to fight about continues on unabated.

You will never stamp out racism. Ever. I think it is a human condition. I think you can lessen its impact by reducing the focus on it though. Marshal people on ideas and not on demographics. Marginalize the bad actors through ridicule and the other tools of enforcing social norms.

You will never stamp out racism. Ever. I think it is a human condition. I think you can lessen its impact by reducing the focus on it though. Marshal people on ideas and not on demographics. Marginalize the bad actors through ridicule and the other tools of enforcing social norms.
In a separate thread I posted a link to an article about Kris Kobach. His entire shtick is demographics. The approach is to build a legal veneer around the basic idea of limiting the electorate to white people as the only way to guarantee a continuation of white anglo culture. This strikes me as a pretty pure example of racism at work. Far from marginalizing bad actors Trump is mainstreaming them.

ADVERTISEMENT