ADVERTISEMENT

Some discussion about the Defense

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Here's a few discussion topics about the defense I'd like to throw out there:

1. Are Mullen and/or Jamar Johnson AAs?

I admit I haven't studied all the other BT teams closely, but Mullin & Johnson, or vice-versa, appear to me to be the 2 best BT DBs this year. I did see Wade from OSU make an amazing int against MSU, and I know he's got the hype, but Fryfogle really torched him when we played.

So my first question is, are Mullen & Jamar Johnson playing at an AA level, in your opinion? Now, by AA, I am saying 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. My belief is that they are, from the looks test. To me, they are doing amazing things as run stoppers & blitzers, as well as having great cover skills. Stats wise, Mullen has 36 tackles, 4.5 TFL (including 3.5 sacks), 3 ints, 4 pass BUs, 1 FF & 1 QB hurry, in 7 games. Johnson has 34 tackles, 3.5 TFL (1 sack), 4 ints, 3 pass BUs & 1 FF. These guys are being asked to do a lot, including covering the back end while the LBs blitz,

Now.....IF both are playing at an AA level, it seems likely to me that Mullen might finish higher in such matters because he was better known coming into the year.

2. Will IU have 4 1st team ABT defensive players?

To me, Mullen, Jamar Johnson, and McFadden should be locks. The 4th I'd nominate is Jerome Johnson. I also think he is deserving. But...in a year in which NW, Iowa, Wisconsin & OSU all have stout defenses, it probably won't happen. If any of the other 3 are left off, we got screwed, imo.

3. What defensive players do you notice 'coming on'?

Earlier in the year, I thought Devon Matthews was a real coverage liability. The last 2-3 games, it seems like he's always around the ball, and he's made some big sticks.

The other guys I've noticed really making more plays lately include DK Bonhomme, Aaron Casey & Jonathan King. Obviously guys like Cam Jones, Reece, and J. Williams are still making plays......these 3 guys are 3 that are noticeably improved lately, imo.

What a privilege it is to watch this defense.....over the years, we've had some very good offensive players & offensive units....but this appears to me to be the best defensive unit since 1967.

Thoughts?

Here's a few discussion topics about the defense I'd like to throw out there:

1. Are Mullen and/or Jamar Johnson AAs?

I admit I haven't studied all the other BT teams closely, but Mullin & Johnson, or vice-versa, appear to me to be the 2 best BT DBs this year. I did see Wade from OSU make an amazing int against MSU, and I know he's got the hype, but Fryfogle really torched him when we played.

So my first question is, are Mullen & Jamar Johnson playing at an AA level, in your opinion? Now, by AA, I am saying 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. My belief is that they are, from the looks test. To me, they are doing amazing things as run stoppers & blitzers, as well as having great cover skills. Stats wise, Mullen has 36 tackles, 4.5 TFL (including 3.5 sacks), 3 ints, 4 pass BUs, 1 FF & 1 QB hurry, in 7 games. Johnson has 34 tackles, 3.5 TFL (1 sack), 4 ints, 3 pass BUs & 1 FF. These guys are being asked to do a lot, including covering the back end while the LBs blitz,

Now.....IF both are playing at an AA level, it seems likely to me that Mullen might finish higher in such matters because he was better known coming into the year.

2. Will IU have 4 1st team ABT defensive players?

To me, Mullen, Jamar Johnson, and McFadden should be locks. The 4th I'd nominate is Jerome Johnson. I also think he is deserving. But...in a year in which NW, Iowa, Wisconsin & OSU all have stout defenses, it probably won't happen. If any of the other 3 are left off, we got screwed, imo.

3. What defensive players do you notice 'coming on'?

Earlier in the year, I thought Devon Matthews was a real coverage liability. The last 2-3 games, it seems like he's always around the ball, and he's made some big sticks.

The other guys I've noticed really making more plays lately include DK Bonhomme, Aaron Casey & Jonathan King. Obviously guys like Cam Jones, Reece, and J. Williams are still making plays......these 3 guys are 3 that are noticeably improved lately, imo.

What a privilege it is to watch this defense.....over the years, we've had some very good offensive players & offensive units....but this appears to me to be the best defensive unit since 1967.

Thoughts?
You make good points and IU has players deserving of AA awards. I don't know if IU has enough cred to get players on the list but they should. B1G Awards should have a number of Hoosiers on it.

ADVERTISEMENT