ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer

in honor of today's liverpool vs. ac milan game. 2005 the greatest champion's league final ever. one of the greatest games ever. ac milan's lineup was unreal

@larsIU @JamieDimonsBalls @sglowrider

Kaka was overrated

Reactions: mcmurtry66
@mcmurtry66

59cf224d9454e8c52210ec9739a722ef3df7bc24_2_281x500.jpeg

He'll never last. Too many miles on those legs.

Nah. Playing in the farmer's league will lengthen his career by a couple of years. Anyway, he's only 34. If Ronaldo can play in the hardest league in the world at 36; Messi's spindly little legs can survive and play till he is 38 at that little league level. Use them for the 12 matches a season that counts.

If anything, he will be more likely to suffer injury from carpal tunnel by counting his cash, daily since he seems more concerned about that part of his French 'project.' Can never get enough especially when he is only worth $400m.

Last edited:
Nah. Playing in the farmer's league will lengthen his career by a couple of years. Anyway, he's only 34. If Ronaldo can play in the hardest league in the world at 36; Messi's spindly little legs can survive and play till he is 38 at that little league level. Use them for the 12 matches a season that counts.

If anything, he will be more likely to suffer injury from carpal tunnel by counting his cash, daily since he seems more concerned about that part of his French 'project.' Can never get enough especially when he is only worth $400m.
Um, you must have been crouching when you read my post

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Back to the lighthearted world of international soccer and World Cup Qualifying. Things we learned or confirmed with last night's USMNT game:

1. CONCACAF is now the worst federation in the sport and it's not close.
2. Pepi - but can he score against real competition
3. If I had to get into a fight on the field I'd take either Tyler Adams or Weston McKennie in my corner please
4. Achilles heal will be the CB position. Real football countries have class CB's. We don't.
5. Our "golden generation" may have some legs to it with players like Yunus Musah, Aaronson, Pepi, Weah and even Miles Robinson (possibly) and Antonee Robinson.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Back to the lighthearted world of international soccer and World Cup Qualifying. Things we learned or confirmed with last night's USMNT game:

3. If I had to get into a fight on the field I'd take either Tyler Adams or Weston McKennie in my corner please
4. Achilles heal will be the CB position. Real football countries have class CB's. We don't.
5. Our "golden generation" may have some legs to it with players like Yunus Musah, Aaronson, Pepi, Weah and even Miles Robinson (possibly) and Antonee Robinson.
ha. crazy it doesn't have var. these guys are young and still trying to find some chemistry but we've never had this kind of talent before. and this was without pulisic and reyna. weah - his dad was simply incredible. a beast. we still need a better coach

What happened w/CONCACAF?

All of those guys in #5 played great last night. But it is just one game.

Lars is mad bc it doesn't have VAR and uses high school refs. I'm not sure some of the countries have Internet much less VAR
Jesus we should have just offered to pay for it

Like everything else.

ps. everybody got BIG mad when Kasey Keller called the non Canada, USA, Mexico locales "lesser countries". Well, can't even afford 500k for VAR?

Jesus we should have just offered to pay for it

Like everything else.

ps. everybody got BIG mad when Kasey Keller called the non Canada, USA, Mexico locales "lesser countries". Well, can't even afford 500k for VAR?
i thought the first was a red but i think the guy on the second tackle got ball first

US - Mexico in a few weeks here in Cincinnati. Tickets are ridiculously expensive. Tickets in The Bailey (standing only, behind the goal) are $400+. The very seats I sat in last Saturday with my son for an FC Cincinnati game are like $650.

But, TQL Stadium is an incredible venue and will be rocking that night.

US - Mexico in a few weeks here in Cincinnati. Tickets are ridiculously expensive. Tickets in The Bailey (standing only, behind the goal) are $400+. The very seats I sat in last Saturday with my son for an FC Cincinnati game are like $650.

what's capacity?

strike that - 26,000
ive seen pics. it looks beautiful! at least in cincy it should feel like a home game. playing mexico in calif and tx is stupid. i went to us vs mex in around 2000 in the winter in columbus. that was pretty smart scheduling on our part.

ive seen pics. it looks beautiful! at least in cincy it should feel like a home game. playing mexico in calif and tx is stupid. i went to us vs mex in around 2000 in the winter in columbus. that was pretty smart scheduling on our part.
True. Although there are a lot of Mexicans living in the Cincinnati area, it's still nothing like California or Texas.

Last Saturday was Noche Latina at the FCC v. Red Bulls game. All of the announcements were bilingual, with Spanish first. I'm sure some around here will bitch about that, but I thought it was really cool. Saw quite a few Hispanic families and groups. My son and I had great seats (4th row, even with top of penalty area).

The whole area around the stadium is amazing. Lots of bars and restaurants, the spectacular Music Hall*, and Washington Park. There are numerous fan clubs, with each gathering at a different bar on game day. They then march to the stadium en masse with drums, flags, smoke, etc.

*Cincinnati Music Hall was built in 1878 and is the home of the symphony, pops, ballet, and opera. The architecture is very cool, and it has hosted many historic events. It's supposedly haunted as well.

1920px-Renovated_Cincinnati_Music_Hall_2.jpg

Reactions: larsIU

well, are you gonna pony up?

just charge it off as BD

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle

Wait . . . you say #4 and then include Miles Robinson (possibly) in your "golden generation" listing? What's up with that?

True. Although there are a lot of Mexicans living in the Cincinnati area, it's still nothing like California or Texas.

Last Saturday was Noche Latina at the FCC v. Red Bulls game. All of the announcements were bilingual, with Spanish first. I'm sure some around here will bitch about that, but I thought it was really cool. Saw quite a few Hispanic families and groups. My son and I had great seats (4th row, even with top of penalty area).

The whole area around the stadium is amazing. Lots of bars and restaurants, the spectacular Music Hall*, and Washington Park. There are numerous fan clubs, with each gathering at a different bar on game day. They then march to the stadium en masse with drums, flags, smoke, etc.

*Cincinnati Music Hall was built in 1878 and is the home of the symphony, pops, ballet, and opera. The architecture is very cool, and it has hosted many historic events. It's supposedly haunted as well.

1920px-Renovated_Cincinnati_Music_Hall_2.jpg
That is awesome on all fronts!!! I'll have to check it out one of these days.

Last edited:
Wait . . . you say #4 and then include Miles Robinson (possibly) in your "golden generation" listing? What's up with that?
Hence the "possibly"

He's got potential physically and as a scoring threat on set pieces. Jury's out on his ability to read the game but he's young(ish). We need to get more defenders overseas.

Reactions: Sope Creek
I was at that match as well. it was Feb 2001 as part of 2002 World Cup qualifying. And it was a bitter cold night in Ohio. 2-0 victory for US if I remember correctly.

Hence the "possibly"

He's got potential physically and as a scoring threat on set pieces. Jury's out on his ability to read the game but he's young(ish). We need to get more defenders overseas.
We kinda like him here in the ATL . . . .

Reactions: larsIU
@mcmurtry66 FYI. Bunch of old El Clasico matches on the ESPN app ahead of this weekend. And on ESPNU or whatever it is.
2009 at Real. I’d completely forgotten a few things.

1. Xavi-Iniesta-Messi in midfield is unfair.
2. Thierry Henry haha. Totally forgot his spell with Barca
3. Yaya Toure at CDM. That team was unfair.

@mcmurtry66 FYI. Bunch of old El Clasico matches on the ESPN app ahead of this weekend. And on ESPNU or whatever it is.
2009 at Real. I’d completely forgotten a few things.

1. Xavi-Iniesta-Messi in midfield is unfair.
2. Thierry Henry haha. Totally forgot his spell with Barca
3. Yaya Toure at CDM. That team was unfair.
Ha yeah crazy to think about henry and toure. xavi, iniesta, and messi during that time period were perfection. they mastered the sport. and for xavi and iniesta it carried over to the national team. the passes and possession stats in the euro and world cup that spain won were ridiculous. there were times where messi/xavi/iniesta would stand ten feet apart from each other and just keep passing it back and forth and no one would even attempt to apply pressure. it was futile. they knew they couldn't get it away from those guys. they'd just effortlessly turn the other direction. their first touch, ability to turn, shield, awareness, vision, was like nothing i've seen before or since. that spell of time was the greatest exhibition i've ever seen in sport. i miss it. i literally never missed a single barcelona/spain game from 2009-2015. Not one.

and if you have kids and want to show them how to play those tapes are invaluable. head always up. always on a swivel. before the ball comes. first touch always in the direction they want to go. truly perfection.

This is really, really, cool. You can see some of the pitches online and their locations. Really unique stuff. Soccer has always been a suburban sport in the States, only made worse by the Pay-to-Play model. MLS is making a concerted outreach effort to urban areas like nothing we've ever seen before.

Very cool. That was one of the things I remember about places in Europe. Seemed like every basketball court had futsal lines and every green space had goals.

It's why we rule at basketball (when we want to). Pick up games create players at a young age. The favelas in Brazil produce the greatest players in the world b/c they have access even in those poor areas to play the sport.

So, you're saying there's a chance for the US in 2034?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT