ADVERTISEMENT

Sobering?

Organized sports competition seems one of the least of our concerns right now regarding possible fallout on society, now that social precedent is established. There was talk last night of only certain “hotspots” in the country needing to be shutdown in the future with social distancing, quarantines, travel restrictions and such, rather than in a national basis. How would college sports handle that one?

My thought is that country living will become more popular, with people willing to put up with less convenience than that found in the burgeoning city growth we’ve been experiencing. Less fear of viral interruption in one’s life than that found in more communal living would be the reward. People may stop moving to “ports of entry” to live and work in such confined spaces. People may shun large crowd events even after the stay-at-home mandate is lifted. This is a new paradigm that is filled with uncertainty. Newly borns today won’t be so awe stricken as most others are today. It is the only reality they will know.

Viruses are here to stay and with increasing population and it’s mobility, their means of replication can only lead to a feeding frenzy. It is nature’s way to adapt. Man is nature, a much smaller part of nature than what his ego leads him to believe. A virus may develop itself such that it is much more potent, more virulent than even this one. Suppose a super virus was released inside the halls of Congress, and 80% died within weeks, as did in the Seattle nursing home? Securing our country’s borders doesn’t seem like such a selfish thing to do now, does it? In a known battle where only the fittest survive, staying inside with your doors shut, your borders restricted and certain travel bans, suddenly doesn’t seem like an appropriate time to denigrate your fellow countryman as being a racist. Life is “funny”sometimes with it’s many twists and turns along the pathway into the future. The future must have time and time just keeps on ticking. The alarm has gone off. Will Man awaken to rally for a new day? Who’s to say?

Reactions: destewart
Organized sports competition seems one of the least of our concerns right now regarding possible fallout on society, now that social precedent is established. There was talk last night of only certain “hotspots” in the country needing to be shutdown in the future with social distancing, quarantines, travel restrictions and such, rather than in a national basis. How would college sports handle that one?

My thought is that country living will become more popular, with people willing to put up with less convenience than that found in the burgeoning city growth we’ve been experiencing. Less fear of viral interruption in one’s life than that found in more communal living would be the reward. People may stop moving to “ports of entry” to live and work in such confined spaces. People may shun large crowd events even after the stay-at-home mandate is lifted. This is a new paradigm that is filled with uncertainty. Newly borns today won’t be so awe stricken as most others are today. It is the only reality they will know.

Viruses are here to stay and with increasing population and it’s mobility, their means of replication can only lead to a feeding frenzy. It is nature’s way to adapt. Man is nature, a much smaller part of nature than what his ego leads him to believe. A virus may develop itself such that it is much more potent, more virulent than even this one. Suppose a super virus was released inside the halls of Congress, and 80% died within weeks, as did in the Seattle nursing home? Securing our country’s borders doesn’t seem like such a selfish thing to do now, does it? In a known battle where only the fittest survive, staying inside with your doors shut, your borders restricted and certain travel bans, suddenly doesn’t seem like an appropriate time to denigrate your fellow countryman as being a racist. Life is “funny”sometimes with it’s many twists and turns along the pathway into the future. The future must have time and time just keeps on ticking. The alarm has gone off. Will Man awaken to rally for a new day? Who’s to say?

Excellent perspective. Sports (recreation) will remain relevant by providing us with vicarious relief from the stress and pressure of modern day life.

Reactions: abraxis
Excellent perspective. Sports (recreation) will remain relevant by providing us with vicarious relief from the stress and pressure of modern day life.
For the athletes, competition hones the skills necessary to survive. For the fans, it puts this basic need on display and stresses it's importance because competition is to be found outside the confines of the sports arena. All people have a basic need to survive. Those with drive work at it harder than others and increase their chances.

Several years ago there was a epidemiologist on TV and he was asked if there would ever be a virus that wiped out all humans. He paused for a moment and then said "No, not wipe out but severely deplete our numbers, yes." Quite sobering. Ebola could have been that virus but it kills too quickly and burns itself out. Thank God.

But as long as we continue to encroach on wilderness ares, new viruses will continue to be felt.

Several years ago there was a epidemiologist on TV and he was asked if there would ever be a virus that wiped out all humans. He paused for a moment and then said "No, not wipe out but severely deplete our numbers, yes." Quite sobering. Ebola could have been that virus but it kills too quickly and burns itself out. Thank God.

But as long as we continue to encroach on wilderness ares, new viruses will continue to be felt.
Imagine a novel virus so virulent that it is capable of infecting our internet system. Wait, it’s already happened! It sounds like something out of science fiction.

What wilderness did this virus come out of? The bat market in Wuhan?

Wilderness might have not been the best term to use but if I was a betting man, I would bet that Wuhan is not a modern metropolis.

Off the top of my head, I can not think of a virus in modern times that has originated from a more developed region such as Europe.

I think that's a gross overreaction. Some folks may well choose to move, but from what this layman sees, this virus isn't really much worse than a bad flu for the vast majority of folks. It does seem far more contagious right now, but I think that's because no one has any immunity or resistance to it since it's new. But, what's killing #s isn't our inability to fight the effects, it's resources; it's overwhelming the healthcare resources and then folks die from lack of care and ventilators. It's not that easy for most people to just pick up and move and for most folks who've grown up it a City or community, a rural lifestyle is not appealing. I think long term, possibly this thing sticks around and in the future, instead of being worried about the cold and flu season, we'll hear about the cold, flu and covid season.

Last edited:
Kenesaw Mountain Landis (baseball commissioner in 1942) wrote a letter to President Roosevelt asking if the 1942 season should be cancelled. Roosevelt responded with a no. His feeling was that it would provide a morale boost for the country.
The difference with now, of course, is that no player or fans were at risk of illness in 1942.
So how do we obtain the benefit of the morale boost without placing players at risk?

Kenesaw Mountain Landis (baseball commissioner in 1942) wrote a letter to President Roosevelt asking if the 1942 season should be cancelled. Roosevelt responded with a no. His feeling was that it would provide a morale boost for the country.
The difference with now, of course, is that no player or fans were at risk of illness in 1942.
So how do we obtain the benefit of the morale boost without placing players at risk?

One thing I've been surprised at, is that golf hasn't jumped on this opportunity. They could easily do a Skins game, head to head challenge, or even some modified team events, and maintain social distancing standards. Check all players are healthy beforehand. I guess the problem is in the travel required and support personnel to broadcast it, but of any sport, that to me seems like the one that could provide some competition to watch and have a wide open audience. Probably worried about the backlash of holding any type of event right now, and the PGA or government might not want it done.

One thing I've been surprised at, is that golf hasn't jumped on this opportunity. They could easily do a Skins game, head to head challenge, or even some modified team events, and maintain social distancing standards. Check all players are healthy beforehand. I guess the problem is in the travel required and support personnel to broadcast it, but of any sport, that to me seems like the one that could provide some competition to watch and have a wide open audience. Probably worried about the backlash of holding any type of event right now, and the PGA or government might not want it done.
Boosting morale is important in these times. But, turning to sports for that may not be feasible unless under severely controlled conditions. Such as your example of a skins game, it could happen. However, it is not what is deemed "essential".

So to deal with that: 1. It cannot be held and broadcast from an area that is under severe stay at home restrictions; 2. All participants and support personnel must be tested and somehow certified to be free of Covid-19; it should have some positive social messaging not just advertising products and politics.

A more realistic morale booster might be along the lines of: 1. volunteering; 2. self-improvement routine; 3. exercising; 4. a new hobby; 5. video sharing of meals and/or board games; 6. turn off the TV and quit reading the news except for every once in a while; 7. do not panic but be prepared and have a plan for a long period of isolation.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
The behind the scenes work necessary to put together a televised golf event would be very difficult with safe social distancing requirements.

Reactions: kkott
Boosting morale is important in these times. But, turning to sports for that may not be feasible unless under severely controlled conditions. Such as your example of a skins game, it could happen. However, it is not what is deemed "essential".

So to deal with that: 1. It cannot be held and broadcast from an area that is under severe stay at home restrictions; 2. All participants and support personnel must be tested and somehow certified to be free of Covid-19; it should have some positive social messaging not just advertising products and politics.

A more realistic morale booster might be along the lines of: 1. volunteering; 2. self-improvement routine; 3. exercising; 4. a new hobby; 5. video sharing of meals and/or board games; 6. turn off the TV and quit reading the news except for every once in a while; 7. do not panic but be prepared and have a plan for a long period of isolation.

I'm not looking for a morale boost for me. I've been trying to work out, taking walks and bike rides and got out in my kayak a couple times. If we get a break in rain for a few days, I'm hoping to break out the fishing rod. I'm just saying golf is the one sport that I could actually see being able to play the game and maintain social distancing. I'm guessing it's like Frik described, that the production personnel needed to do a broadcast might prevent them, and that they are worried about the backlash they might get for holding such an event at this time. Of course they could always make it for charity...

I think we will see a global food standard put in place. A great number of these come from wet markets in Asia. Mainly, China.

I compare it to war crimes. This is the biggest thing since Nam, comparing it to a major war is about the closest thing I can come up with.

Reactions: stollcpa
If they could do it, people that are not golfers would watch. Great way for them to increase the number of fans
People aren't that desperate to watch sports, and I'm one who enjoys watching golf...every now and then. Bowling could do the same thing by keeping lanes separated but I don't think a bunch of new people would start watching bowling tournaments just because it's the only sports one TV. Likewise, I don't see it as an opportunity for the Professional Bowlers Association to increase number of fans.

People aren't that desperate to watch sports, and I'm one who enjoys watching golf...every now and then.

You and I have very different reactions to this. You've got people moving to the country in reaction and not caring about sports. I don't think any significant # of people will be moving to rural areas in response, and I'd love to have some golf to watch. If they had a skins game, scheduled, I'd definitely make it a point to record and watch. I think the ratings would be much higher than normal for a skins type event. I would guess it would approach or exceed ratings for a major event, but it would be interesting to see.

I'm not looking for a morale boost for me. I've been trying to work out, taking walks and bike rides and got out in my kayak a couple times. If we get a break in rain for a few days, I'm hoping to break out the fishing rod. I'm just saying golf is the one sport that I could actually see being able to play the game and maintain social distancing. I'm guessing it's like Frik described, that the production personnel needed to do a broadcast might prevent them, and that they are worried about the backlash they might get for holding such an event at this time. Of course they could always make it for charity...
Right. Playing golf, especially if the players walk, is do-able. Televising it in a way that is watchable, not so much.

I think that's a gross overreaction. Some folks may well choose to move, but from what this layman sees, this virus isn't really much worse than a bad flu for the vast majority of folks. It does seem far more contagious right now, but I think that's because no one has any immunity or resistance to it since it's new. But, what's killing #s isn't our inability to fight the effects, it's resources; it's overwhelming the healthcare resources and then folks die from lack of care and ventilators. It's not that easy for most people to just pick up and move and for most folks who've grown up it a City or community, a rural lifestyle is not appealing. I think long term, possibly this thing sticks around and in the future, instead of being worried about the cold and flu season, we'll hear about the cold, flu and covid season.
I agree, I was talking about the more extreme measures. If nothing else, this world/countrywide shutdown is a good "trial" run for when we do get hit with the really big whammy virus of the future. Another virus will come that makes this one look relatively tame, which I think it is now.

FWIW, in the first three months of 2017, ~233,828 Americans died (over 8,000/day). I used the exact figures for Jan and Feb but had to guess at 8,000 for Mar from a bar graph. The first three months of this year, 3,140 Americans have died "of coronavirus". Really, those figures they so quickly like to throw out should read "with corona virus". Many of these people died for other reasons, but in blood draws, were found to have the virus in their system. Many of these people did not die "of corona virus". I would be interested in knowing how many of the virus' target group, the elderly/immune compromised, die, on average, during the first three months of any typical year. This particular virus hasn't made a significant dent. I would also like to figures of how many died the first three months "of regular flu" (non COVID-19) which again would be more actually stated as "with regular flu detectable in their system".

I think in the future, only the elderly/immune compromised will be required to isolate, and government assistance will be given to this group during their quarantine. Life will go on pretty much as normal for the healthier population, other than the relatively minor inconveniences of face masks, latex gloves, etc. during the designated worst "flu months" of Jan-March. The COVID-19 virus is just another corona virus, but on steroids this time, more virulent than in the past. The USA won't get caught short of ventilators in the future. They'll be stockpiled in a warehouse somewhere outside of Timbuktu, along with facemarks and disinfectant wipes. Smart investors have already put their money into these companies making virus protection products. The future looks bright for their stockholders.

Reactions: Jssanto
You and I have very different reactions to this. You've got people moving to the country in reaction and not caring about sports. I don't think any significant # of people will be moving to rural areas in response, and I'd love to have some golf to watch. If they had a skins game, scheduled, I'd definitely make it a point to record and watch. I think the ratings would be much higher than normal for a skins type event. I would guess it would approach or exceed ratings for a major event, but it would be interesting to see.
My scenario was hypothetical only after major societal shutdowns became incorporated into the routine of city populations...not in our lifetimes, but maybe in the year 2525, if man is still alive.

The problem with televised golf today is that there doesn't seem to be any exciting players to identify with out there, that I am aware of. I used to love to watch Seve B, Tom Watson, Jack, Tiger...and a slew of others I can't think of right now. They were household names back then. Golf seems to have gone the same way, as tennis. The whole world practically, used to watch McEnroe, Borg, Conners, Agassi, etc. Today? Maybe it's over exposure, like what happened to the old Nascar series. For whatever reason, auto racing seems to be more like a dog and pony show, a parade of sponsors, with all cars made to look and act the same. Then they had to add gimmicks like the Shoot-out and other novelties to generate new "excitement".

I'm just telling you how it seems to me today, through the tired of an old geezer to some. I'm not saying you need to agree or even if I'm right.

My scenario was hypothetical only after major societal shutdowns became incorporated into the routine of city populations...not in our lifetimes, but maybe in the year 2525, if man is still alive.

The problem with televised golf today is that there doesn't seem to be any exciting players to identify with out there, that I am aware of. I used to love to watch Seve B, Tom Watson, Jack, Tiger...and a slew of others I can't think of right now. They were household names back then. Golf seems to have gone the same way, as tennis. The whole world practically, used to watch McEnroe, Borg, Conners, Agassi, etc. Today? Maybe it's over exposure, like what happened to the old Nascar series. For whatever reason, auto racing seems to be more like a dog and pony show, a parade of sponsors, with all cars made to look and act the same. Then they had to add gimmicks like the Shoot-out and other novelties to generate new "excitement".

I'm just telling you how it seems to me today, through the tired of an old geezer to some. I'm not saying you need to agree or even if I'm right.

Well, talking that far out in the future, is a very different thing, as I thought you meant people's reactions just to this. It's hard for me to imagine however that, assuming the world population continues to increase, that folks will spread out more. Overall, I think humans are just too lazy, and not a great # will want to go back to "growing their own".

As for golf, I think the pool of quality players is just much higher overall so the dominant players don't emerge and win as often as they used to, but it's still a high level of play. With nothing else to watch sporting wise, I'd definitely watch a skins game or some other made for TV event, if they could swing it.

Last edited:
Singles tennis is another popular sport that would be safe while maintaining social distancing standards. On the other hand, it would be rather funny to watch some sports if they came back with social distancing measures intact. I'd think boxing would be improved if they did a match where they had to stay six feet away from each other!

Nice music quote there... I appreciate it.

I honestly think that ..By college football season if there aren't any restrictions..
People will be so happy to move about again..
It'll be status quo..The germaphobe's may stay away from big crowd events..
But I'm not....And I'm pushing 6 decades on this planet..

Singles tennis is another popular sport that would be safe while maintaining social distancing standards. On the other hand, it would be rather funny to watch some sports if they came back with social distancing measures intact. I'd think boxing would be improved if they did a match where they had to stay six feet away from each other!

I thought about tennis, but I would guess, although rare, there probably are exchanges where both players are at the net and within 6'. Plus with it being a more physical sport, they are sweating and breathing hard, so I thought it was possible they could exchange germs that way. But with golf, I think you could play an entire round and never get within 6' of your opponent without too much trouble.

Reactions: speroni
Well, talking that far out in the future, is a very different thing, as I thought you meant people's reactions just to this. It's hard for me to imagine however that, assuming the world population continues to increase, that folks will spread out more. Overall, I think humans are just to lazy, and not a great # will want to go back to "growing their own".

As for golf, I think the pool of players is just much higher overall so the dominant players don't emerge and win as often as they used to, but it's still a high level of play. With nothing else to watch sporting wise, I'd definitely watch a skins game or some other made for TV event, if they could swing it.
Look at it this way, people have already made a mass exit to the country, so much so that they had to come up with a new name for it- suburbia. What was once pastoral farm ground is now called The City of Fishers.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Wilderness might have not been the best term to use but if I was a betting man, I would bet that Wuhan is not a modern metropolis.

Off the top of my head, I can not think of a virus in modern times that has originated from a more developed region such as Europe.

Well you would have bet way wrong. Wuhan is a major metropolis with a population larger than NYC.

wuhan-city-photo0.jpg

4569.jpg

If they could do it, people that are not golfers would watch. Great way for them to increase the number of fans

I'd rather look out the window than watch golf. It's interesting only to people who play it.

I'd rather look out the window than watch golf. It's interesting only to people who play it.
I have been impressed with the negativity towards golf on the forum. I do not play either but I do know some of the stars. I have seen it on tv in bars and restaurants (back before I have self quarantined. Have I mentioned how bored I am. My wife social distances, tho that is not new). Sports are sports.

Reactions: kkott and twenty02
Look at it this way, people have already made a mass exit to the country, so much so that they had to come up with a new name for it- suburbia. What was once pastoral farm ground is now called The City of Fishers.

But in suburbia, they are still consumers and rarely growing a significant portion of their own food. What you were describing to me was moving away from cities and becoming mostly self-sufficient, no?

Playing golf is just an excuse to get super high or drunk outside. If you can’t shoot 90 or better you aren’t a golfer, you just like getting ****ed up outside. Nothing wrong with being a part of that, but who the **** wants to watch it on tv.

Playing golf is just an excuse to get super high or drunk outside. If you can’t shoot 90 or better you aren’t a golfer, you just like getting ****ed up outside. Nothing wrong with being a part of that, but who the **** wants to watch it on tv.
You could just as easily argue that watching any sport is just an excuse to get drunk or high inside. I couldn't watch IU without drinking before this past season.

But in suburbia, they are still consumers and rarely growing a significant portion of their own food. What you were describing to me was moving away from cities and becoming mostly self-sufficient, no?
No, I’m not talking about the homesteading thing specifically, but rather people getting tired of the God-awful congestion created by the masses. Some people have the balls to say, “Enough!” and move away from the “safety in numbers” evolutionary concept found throughout nature. I predict more people will become willing to put up with the inconvenience of having to drive farther to obtain the basic necessities of life. These new super virus attacks are just one more reason to justify the move. Viruses like to find people so the can borrow their internal cell machinery to replicate themselves into the future. Viruses have no cells but life forms do. Communal living of people in cities is the path of least resistance they seek because it expends less energy in doing so, rather than finding people scattered about in less density of country living. Welcome to the awe of “The Wonder of it All!”

You could just as easily argue that watching any sport is just an excuse to get drunk or high inside. I couldn't watch IU without drinking before this past season.
People play golf to immerse themselves in the beauty and serenity of the surrounding landscape. They do it for the challenge of performing a task well, while in communion with their buddies. They do it for the physical exercise. They do it as an avenue for establishing business relationships. They do it just for the fun of it. If drink and/or bud facilitates that fun, the merrier they will be until hearing the dreaded cry of sudden interruption, “FORE!” I have no more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT