ADVERTISEMENT

Sobering?

No, I’m not talking about the homesteading thing specifically, but rather people getting tired of the God-awful congestion created by the masses. Some people have the balls to say, “Enough!” and move away from the “safety in numbers” evolutionary concept found throughout nature. I predict more people will become willing to put up with the inconvenience of having to drive farther to obtain the basic necessities of life. These new super virus attacks are just one more reason to justify the move. Viruses like to find people so the can borrow their internal cell machinery to replicate themselves into the future. Viruses have no cells but life forms do. Communal living of people in cities is the path of least resistance they seek because it expends less energy in doing so, rather than finding people scattered about in less density of country living. Welcome to the awe of “The Wonder of it All!”

It's confusing to try and understand exactly what you're saying. You are equating "country living" with suburbia, and you think the solution to congestion created by the masses is moving to the 'burbs? OK. Are you a City Planner for Atlanta by chance?

It's confusing to try and understand exactly what you're saying. You are equating "country living" with suburbia, and you think the solution to congestion created by the masses is moving to the 'burbs? OK. Are you a City Planner for Atlanta by chance?
I don't think he's actually been to the suburbs of Chicago, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Houston, Atlanta, or any other major metropolitan area.

Reactions: Birnk403 and kkott
People play golf to immerse themselves in the beauty and serenity of the surrounding landscape. They do it for the challenge of performing a task well, while in communion with their buddies. They do it for the physical exercise. They do it as an avenue for establishing business relationships. They do it just for the fun of it. If drink and/or bud facilitates that fun, the merrier they will be until hearing the dreaded cry of sudden interruption, “FORE!” I have no more.
A sign at the local golf links:
Do not wash balls in the sinks!
Well believe it or not
you could get yourself caught.
Serious damage might happen, methinks.

You're reading way too much into it with the over analyzing. Let's just all agree I don't know WTF I'm talking about and move on with our day. I good with it! The last thing I need to deal with in isolation is a can of worms with no fishing pole.

You're reading way too much into it with the over analyzing. Let's just all agree I don't know WTF I'm talking about and move on with our day. I good with it! The last thing I need to deal with in isolation is a can of worms with no fishing pole.

so, basically you want to rant about stuff, and not be challenged if it doesn't really make sense? I thought that was what the water cooler was for?

so, basically you want to rant about stuff, and not be challenged if it doesn't really make sense? I thought that was what the water cooler was for?
Okay, I’ll take the “kkott challenge” since you seem to relish public shaming. You said I equate country living with suburbia. What I meant was, starting in about the mid 1950’s, a lot of folks decided they had had enough of congested living so they started moving into what had been up until that point, farm land, i.e. country. This living style wasn’t as convenient for the everyday necessities of life, but it sure made for healthier living with lots of fresh country air. After awhile, so many people agreed and it became something that it wasn’t originally, hence the name suburbia with it’s ticky-tacky subdivisions where the houses are packed in tight while looking all the same. Google “Little Boxes by Malvina Reynolds YouTube” for an idea of what I’m talking about. I picture you enjoying your martini’s dry, with perhaps just a whisper of vermouth. That done, now what I suggested may happen in the future due to the new breed of viruses that will periodically be shutting us down, is that former city people gone subdivision/once country dwellers may find the inconvenience of more rural living something they’re more willing to put up with, not only because it’s safer than city area living with it’s lower incidences of social diseases, and again for that fresher country air thing. That said, I live in a relatively remote area of southern Brown Co where my closest neighbor is a quarter mile thru the woods. My wife and I, both choosing retirement from the occupational demands that making money commands, are used to not seeing many people. We laugh at all this fuss because life for us isn’t really that much different other than having two refrigerators with freezers now stuffed to the gills. We’re not afraid the virus will find us here and other people may now be motivated to think that same way. Now, if you’ll please excuse me, the woods are looking awfully pretty this time of year and I have a mushroom hunt to attend to during this “Spring Quarantine Thing”.

Okay, I’ll take the “kkott challenge” since you seem to relish public shaming. You said I equate country living with suburbia. What I meant was, starting in about the mid 1950’s, a lot of folks decided they had had enough of congested living so they started moving into what had been up until that point, farm land, i.e. country. This living style wasn’t as convenient for the everyday necessities of life, but it sure made for healthier living with lots of fresh country air. After awhile, so many people agreed and it became something that it wasn’t originally, hence the name suburbia with it’s ticky-tacky subdivisions where the houses are packed in tight while looking all the same. Google “Little Boxes by Malvina Reynolds YouTube” for an idea of what I’m talking about. I picture you enjoying your martini’s dry, with perhaps just a whisper of vermouth. That done, now what I suggested may happen in the future due to the new breed of viruses that will periodically be shutting us down, is that former city people gone subdivision/once country dwellers may find the inconvenience of more rural living something they’re more willing to put up with, not only because it’s safer than city area living with it’s lower incidences of social diseases, and again for that fresher country air thing. That said, I live in a relatively remote area of southern Brown Co where my closest neighbor is a quarter mile thru the woods. My wife and I, both choosing retirement from the occupational demands that making money commands, are used to not seeing many people. We laugh at all this fuss because life for us isn’t really that much different other than having two refrigerators with freezers now stuffed to the gills. We’re not afraid the virus will find us here and other people may now be motivated to think that same way. Now, if you’ll please excuse me, the woods are looking awfully pretty this time of year and I have a mushroom hunt to attend to during this “Spring Quarantine Thing”.

Hunting mushrooms is the most sensible thing you've said here. We supposedly have morels down here in NC, but I've yet to see one. Miss 'em.

Hunting mushrooms is the most sensible thing you've said here. We supposedly have morels down here in NC, but I've yet to see one. Miss 'em.
I haven’t found my first one this season, yet, but I can smell ‘em when the wind is blowing right.

I haven’t found my first one this season, yet, but I can smell ‘em when the wind is blowing right.

My buddy down South around Tell City (he actually used to live in BC and graduated from there) was gonna go out today too. I have no idea where to find them here and question how well they grow in this clay soil, but they do find them. I always keep an eye out when I'm in or around the woods this time of year but no luck.

My buddy down South around Tell City (he actually used to live in BC and graduated from there) was gonna go out today too. I have no idea where to find them here and question how well they grow in this clay soil, but they do find them. I always keep an eye out when I'm in or around the woods this time of year but no luck.

From the internet...you can thank me later.

North Carolina Morels
One of the favorite mushrooms that hunters try to unearth, the North Carolina Morels are fairly large in size but can be elusive. Yet when you do stumble across a patch of morels, you will be usually be rewarded by a medium to large yield. One way to increase your chances of finding the morel is by knowing which trees they are more likely to grow by, for example, Eastern White Pine and Eastern Cottonwood.

Here in Indiana it's white ash (mostly diseased now), tulip poplar, dead elm (of course!) and sycamore trees. My son-in-law swears by cedar trees. The bottom line is, you find them where you find them. If you think finding morels is difficult, try finding arrowheads sometime. I found one last Sunday in BC's Yellowwood State Forest. It was my third one discovered since finding my first on Jan 1, 2005. They were found in three separate BC creeks.

Reactions: kkott
From the internet...you can thank me later.

North Carolina Morels
One of the favorite mushrooms that hunters try to unearth, the North Carolina Morels are fairly large in size but can be elusive. Yet when you do stumble across a patch of morels, you will be usually be rewarded by a medium to large yield. One way to increase your chances of finding the morel is by knowing which trees they are more likely to grow by, for example, Eastern White Pine and Eastern Cottonwood.

Here in Indiana it's white ash (mostly diseased now), tulip poplar, dead elm (of course!) and sycamore trees. My son-in-law swears by cedar trees. The bottom line is, you find them where you find them. If you think finding morels is difficult, try finding arrowheads sometime. I found one last Sunday in BC's Yellowwood State Forest. It was my third one discovered since finding my first on Jan 1, 2005. They were found in three separate BC creeks.

Oh, I know they claim they are here, I've just yet to find them. Another thought I've had besides the soil, is that it's been drier here in the spring it seems the last several years. Congrats on the arrowhead, never caught that bug.

Wilderness might have not been the best term to use but if I was a betting man, I would bet that Wuhan is not a modern metropolis.

Off the top of my head, I can not think of a virus in modern times that has originated from a more developed region such as Europe.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Wuhan is a modern city of over 11 million people, built, like most Chinese cities, with the interest money our government sent them in payment for the treasury bonds they hold.

When I lived in Illinois we noticed that there were burbs for the burbs. Chicago spread out to the burbs, and then the burbs spread out. I told my wife as we were going by a farm, "There will be a McDonalds right there someday".

You have no idea what you're talking about. Wuhan is a modern city of over 11 million people, built, like most Chinese cities, with the interest money our government sent them in payment for the treasury bonds they hold.

Ok. I already like a post that said it was a modern city but it obviously has some of the old traditions still going. I might be wrong again but I doubt you find a live game animal market in most cities in this country. They are saying that is where the CoVid 19 came from.

Wilderness might have not been the best term to use but if I was a betting man, I would bet that Wuhan is not a modern metropolis.

Off the top of my head, I can not think of a virus in modern times that has originated from a more developed region such as Europe.

You don’t want to make that bet. It’s an economic and cultural center there with 11 million people. But that doesn’t mean they don’t eat bats.

You don’t want to make that bet. It’s an economic and cultural center there with 11 million people. But that doesn’t mean they don’t eat bats.

Did you not read the rest of the thread?

It has twice been pointed out that I was incorrect about Wuhan.

But your last sentence is the real point and I too made it in my last post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT