ADVERTISEMENT

Sobering article from Pete Thamel re: Miller's status in Bloomington

zibby43

Redshirt
Jan 2, 2017
A few excerpts from Thamel, who has a track record of having good sources at the collegiate level:

• "The feeling around Indiana is that things are shaky, but there’s yet to be any tangible momentum by the school to fire Archie Miller for his third non-NCAA tournament season in four years. (Indiana appeared on the cusp of reaching the NCAAs last year, projected as a No. 10 seed.)"
  • "Can Indiana’s athletic department can pull off paying out that money and rallying the cash for a $30 million contract – and potentially another huge buyout — to lure someone like Chris Beard, Scott Drew, John Beilein, Bobby Hurley or Mick Cronin? Probably not, as that would take sophistication, savvy and some groundwork that no one has seen any signs from in Bloomington. The backchannels are quiet, so far."
  • There’s also not a no-brainer replacement, as hiring the caliber of coach Indiana would want is a high-wire act they don’t appear prepared to navigate.

Ugh.

Full article: https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carousel-sean-miller-arizona-patrick-ewing-191946911.html

A few excerpts from Thamel, who has a track record of having good sources at the collegiate level:

• "The feeling around Indiana is that things are shaky, but there’s yet to be any tangible momentum by the school to fire Archie Miller for his third non-NCAA tournament season in four years. (Indiana appeared on the cusp of reaching the NCAAs last year, projected as a No. 10 seed.)"
  • "Can Indiana’s athletic department can pull off paying out that money and rallying the cash for a $30 million contract – and potentially another huge buyout — to lure someone like Chris Beard, Scott Drew, John Beilein, Bobby Hurley or Mick Cronin? Probably not, as that would take sophistication, savvy and some groundwork that no one has seen any signs from in Bloomington. The backchannels are quiet, so far."
  • There’s also not a no-brainer replacement, as hiring the caliber of coach Indiana would want is a high-wire act they don’t appear prepared to navigate.

Ugh.

Full article: https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carousel-sean-miller-arizona-patrick-ewing-191946911.html

Thanks a LOT. I am even more depressed than before!
I know, don't shoot the messenger! :)

Thanks a LOT. I am even more depressed than before!
I know, don't shoot the messenger! :)

I took zero joy in sharing that lol. Thamel is someone I'll be paying attention to with respect to back channel chatter. He nailed a bunch of college football hirings/firings/transfers this past season, alone.

The only optimistic bit was no chatter, "for now."

Reactions: kkott
Pretty realistic outlook. Firing Archie this year more than likely nets you a lateral hire and at best a breath of fresh air.

• Haha
Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Might take a little sophistication and savvy, eh?

764ef0d95fa227923dbdb4c5325ac33e_w200.gif

You can hire as many different coaches as you want, but if the administration is incompetent and/or not on board with supporting a national contender basketball program, then it doesn't matter.

And if the administration is incompetent and/or not on board with supporting a national contender basketball program, then what big name coach would even consider coming to Bloomington?

I think the IU administration was spoiled by riding the coattails of Coach Knight, never themselves having to support the program with any sophistication or savvy.

IU can do whatever it wants. If they decide to keep Archie they’ve basically punted on next season. I am sure many fans will react accordingly.
I absolutely don't believe that..
Could it suck...Yes.
But no one knows what this team will look like.
Two good transfers..IU is more than solid..
Michigan this year is no where as good without transfers..

Ugh.

idiots abound.

success doesn't travel all that well for college bball coaches, and the very very few it has for generally never hang around for long, so looking for a high priced guy that will tie IU up for another 5 yrs even if a flop, is wrong headed thinking.

lots of guys can coach, and who that has had great success in the B10 and lasted long, came in as a big name?

what IU needs is someone who can sell IU to players and their families, and wants to be here for reasons other than maxing out their earning power.

over thinking it has been a disaster, and will continue to be.

whomever has been being the decider in this since Davis left, we definitely need someone else making the decision.

for the non kids here, no idea how Wittman doesn't top the list.

Could it suck...Yes.
more than solid? how solid? off the bubble solid? better than 10th place solid? that's not good enough for me. i want a big ten champ and a national title contender.

idiots abound.

success doesn't travel all that well for college bball coaches, and the very very few it has for generally never hang around for long, so looking for a high priced guy that will tie IU up for another 5 yrs even if a flop, is wrong headed thinking.

lots of guys can coach, and who that has had great success in the B10 and lasted long, came in as a big name?

what IU needs is someone who can sell IU to players and their families, and wants to be here for reasons other than maxing out their earning power.

whomever has been being the decider in this since Davis left, we definitely need someone else making the decision.

lol

Could it suck...Yes.
You just don't give it up do you? Face it, this team just doesn't have it.

The players don't have it and neither does the coach. The program needs new blood, another Evan Fitzner or two isn't going to change that.

You just don't give it up do you? Face it, this team just doesn't have it.

The players don't have it and neither does the coach. The program needs new blood, another Evan Fitzner or two isn't going to change that.

I don’t see how a couple of transfers is going to change anything. Supposedly we were going to be better when Johnson left, Smith, Green, Romeo, etc.

Heck we could lose everyone to transfer but we still have the one constant that has been here every year.

I’m not completely shocked by this...unfortunately
For those that have watched IU play BB the last 3 and almost 4 seasons--the worst !! Watched them since 1950--never saw them go down the drain for that long a period before--and, based upon the incoming players for 2021 2022--recruiting is the worst--Painter/Purdue now own Indiana--IU just about out of it--CAM can't compete--feel sorry for him--but sorrier for all of us--he should go--the day after the season ends--no longer !!

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
idiots abound.

You were going strong until the last paragraph. Goodness, RW is 61, won 41% of the games he coached in the NBA, and never coached in college.

Last edited:

Ugh.

Not surprised, sounds accurate--& certainly is regarding the Athletic Department's ineptitude. Possibly even indifference, tbh. Unfortunately. this program is at about the lowest point I can recall aside from the '08 offseason. If CAM returns, which it seems highly likely that he will, there is zero reason for optimism next season. & I mean ZERO. That could be the worst team since CTC's 1st couple of seasons. This program is headed nowhere at the moment. Surely CAM isn't setting the world afire, but recruiting, or lack thereof is a glaring probem, imo. We simpy do not have the talent/players to compete in the B1G.

Last edited:
You can hire as many different coaches as you want, but if the administration is incompetent and/or not on board with supporting a national contender basketball program, then it doesn't matter.

And if the administration is incompetent and/or not on board with supporting a national contender basketball program, then what big name coach would even consider coming to Bloomington?

I think the IU administration was spoiled by riding the coattails of Coach Knight, never themselves having to support the program with any sophistication or savvy.
The question is do they really want to win and win big!!! Or do they just want to be another college sports school that is no different?

Fine. We will be right back here in this same situation next year if the administration pu$$ies out. Maybe another losing season will wake them up.

I don't know where IU goes with this at this point, but I do know one thing. If you fire a Coach,you damned well better know who you intend to hire and hire quickly. This can't be we hire a Search Committee and an outide consultant, as well as a Committee to oversee the Search Committee, and we will hire a Coach in 45 days. This has to be the AD and a couple of confidants know exactly where this is going and will be done in a week.

given the way this year has gone for all teams with COVID Quarantine, Canceled and Rescheduled Games, and inconsistent practice time, a number of Coaches with Mediocre results will probably be given the benefit of the doubt and receive another year with a clean slate before they are dismissed. Not that you would necessarily hire one of those Coaches, but if you are looking to hire a new Coach now, your pool of potential candidates won't be as deep as it may be a year from now.

Not much new in those notes.

Dead Coach walking until next season unfortunately.

The question is do they really want to win and win big!!! Or do they just want to be another college sports school that is no different?
there in lies the rub. you're either in it to win it or you're not. if you're not i suggest we ditch the big ten and join the naia. we might actually be competitive there.

Ugh.

Not sure if there’d be much momentum before the season ends, especially on an early contract firing. Another factor might be that IU is hiring a new President very soon, so not sure how that’s going to play out. Do you have wait until the new President is in place, which means after next season?

Could it suck...Yes.
It goes beyond that IMO. This program is disconnected and has looked that way for several years. Plus, this style of play is brutal to watch. Can you imagine kids who have options to go many places would want to play in it??

so? perhaps we can make a better hire. you don't know till you try.

Huh? That’s the reality of the situation given the current financial climate. You can try and hire a Brad Stevens or a Scott Drew all you want, odds are it’s not happening. Firing Archie Miller given the current financial struggles is likely going to net only a lateral hire. Archie clearly isn’t the answer going forward, but is Fife, Alford, etc?

The actual Miller hiring aside, what has the administration done that they shouldn't have or not done that they should have in support of the basketball program?

Huh? That’s the reality of the situation given the current financial climate. You can try and hire a Brad Stevens or a Scott Drew all you want, odds are it’s not happening. Firing Archie Miller given the current financial struggles is likely going to net only a lateral hire. Archie clearly isn’t the answer going forward, but is Fife, Alford, etc?
not likely at all.

ADVERTISEMENT