ADVERTISEMENT

So, Yesterday’s Media Screeches Were Not Accurate

i remember when news was reliable.

What will they guess at today? Football again? War? Business? Health? Government?

How many guess til they get that scoop?

I miss the United States
It was a hell of a country.

Oh I have a good feeling the media was provided information regarding the informal vote. It was leaked that Iowa and Nebraska voted to play. Today Coach Frost is saying Nebraska will play elsewhere if the B10 opts out.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The news is pretty reliable. Sounds like the presidents were going to cancel the season and it was reported as such. But most of the coaches and players do not agree with that, and there was a pretty large uproar so they decided to shelve it for now.

But I agree with your last statement, WAS a hell of a country.

The news is pretty reliable. Sounds like the presidents were going to cancel the season and it was reported as such. But most of the coaches and players do not agree with that, and there was a pretty large uproar so they decided to shelve it for now.

I'd still argue the USA is, on the whole, a pretty good place to be.

And I know we've been conditioned to hate the media for political reasons. But if people made a list of every news report that was called "fake news" over the last 3 1/2 years, and then followed up on whether it ended up being accurate, I think most people would be surprised. Actually, check that, I think most people should be surprised, but many wouldn't care because their cognitive dissonance would kick in.

What will they guess at today? Football again? War? Business? Health? Government?

I miss the United States
I think it was accurate--yesterday--but because it was reported there was a near riotous reaction, so they have shelved the idea for the moment. It will be back though.

I miss the United States
Tuesday is not over yet. An official announcement was supposed to be today.

It's by far from a100% lock.They'll be football..
Especially for the duration of the fall..
They'll be problems.Possibly big ones..Id say the NFL will have them too...It's how they keep pushn'.
Or cave in...

Oh I have a good feeling the media was provided information regarding the informal vote. It was leaked that Iowa and Nebraska voted to play. Today Coach Frost is saying Nebraska will play elsewhere if the B10 opts out.

Which our brilliant media thinkers are today interpreting as dropping out of the league.

Lazy and inaccurate.

"Pretty reliable"

"Almost correct"

"Sometimes right."

Sigh.

Which our brilliant media thinkers are today interpreting as dropping out of the league.

Lazy and inaccurate.
No doubt the media is lazy and inaccurate.

But there are conferences for a reason. If they don't want to act in concert with the conference, they shouldn't be a part of it.

Notre Dame does their own thing - if Nebraska doesn't want to observe Big Ten rules, it's natural to think they may want to go their own way.

I'll help them pack.

I would prefer Nebraska to play all the football games somewhere else. I'd be fine with them taking Rutgers and Maryland along with them.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
LOL! Where is Nebraska gonna play, Iceland? If the B1G opts out, then the PAC12 will and eventually the SEC and B12. It's a domino effect, just like we saw in the spring during the basketball conference tourney.

No doubt the media is lazy and inaccurate.

But there are conferences for a reason. If they don't want to act in concert with the conference, they shouldn't be a part of it.

Notre Dame does their own thing - if Nebraska doesn't want to observe Big Ten rules, it's natural to think they may want to go their own way.

I'll help them pack.

Yes, but ... isn't that the point? What if, according to the conference, there is nothing to act in concert WITH?

First the conference said "we'll play only conference games" and teams lost the OOC

Then the conference said "we're changing your dates and home/away and opponents"

If the conference now says "no conference schedule either" - why the heck shouldn't (for example) IU play Ball State in a game not sanctioned by the league and not involving league liability, but attended by NFL scouts? Maybe even attended by whatever number of fans want to believe in masks and handwashing? And if BTN or the conference "own" whatever TV rights get invoked, so be it. But the way I "heard" Nebraska, they were saying "we're gonna play some games even if we have to play Tulsa, a D-III school that needs some money and Oklahoma." I did not read it as a declaration of withdrawal - just a "2020 sucks and we'll do something different until normal returns."

Yes, but ... isn't that the point? What if, according to the conference, there is nothing to act in concert WITH?

First the conference said "we'll play only conference games" and teams lost the OOC

Then the conference said "we're changing your dates and home/away and opponents"

If the conference now says "no conference schedule either" - why the heck shouldn't (for example) IU play Ball State in a game not sanctioned by the league and not involving league liability, but attended by NFL scouts? Maybe even attended by whatever number of fans want to believe in masks and handwashing? And if BTN or the conference "own" whatever TV rights get invoked, so be it. But the way I "heard" Nebraska, they were saying "we're gonna play some games even if we have to play Tulsa, a D-III school that needs some money and Oklahoma." I did not read it as a declaration of withdrawal - just a "2020 sucks and we'll do something different until normal returns."
I don't disagree with any of that. I think there should be football, based on what we know today, and I think the SEC will play. As I said in another thread, UNC just scheduled UNC Charlotte. So, the ACC and SEC are 2 leagues who still plan on playing and the smaller southern conferences still appear to be playing.

So, I'm sure Nebraska and Iowa can find teams to play. But the question is, are league teams allowed to schedule outside the league when the league has voted to cancel the season.

I could argue either side. I just think Nebraska may look at this and see a good excuse to leave the league, because I know a lot of their fans don't like being stuck as an also-ran in the Big Ten. Football is all they have going for them on a national level (maybe wrestling and women's volleyball). They like to be the big dogs when it comes to football and it's eating them alive they're not relevant.

If they have success playing an out-of-conference schedule, they may decide to cut their own TV deal, a la Notre Dame, and use that model.

I do admire them for doing their own thing and trying to get on with normal life. They may find the grass is, indeed, greener on the other side.

I guess I’m still not seeing how yesterday’s reporting was inaccurate. Further, I’m definitely not seeing it as some indictment of the “media”.

There was NO VOTE to end the season.
Even the Big Ten came out and SAID "we did not vote to end the season."

So FREEP was wrong, oversold the facts, and everybody ran with their story that was not accurate.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
There was NO VOTE to end the season.
Even the Big Ten came out and SAID "we did not vote to end the season."

So FREEP was wrong, oversold the facts, and everybody ran with their story that was not accurate.

It’s likely semantics. Seems like B10 is saying no “official” vote. Which is likely true. That doesn’t mean an informal show of hands didn’t happen.

My biggest problem with the media is not necessarily facts vs. loose information. My gripe is that what used to be straight reporting (“Just The Facts, Ma’am) has now turned into an opinion piece. There is an opinion section in the newspaper and that is what it’s for. Now, more than ever, reporters are interjecting their own slants on every mainstream story. So much so, that the whole picture is not laid out for the reader or viewer. They edit, delete or modify it to give what should just be straight reporting a piece that fits their view of the world.

It's over. Just announced, season delayed "until spring" is the word, but that's a pipe dream. Our next game will be in 13 months. Hopefully.

I'd still argue the USA is, on the whole, a pretty good place to be.

And I know we've been conditioned to hate the media for political reasons. But if people made a list of every news report that was called "fake news" over the last 3 1/2 years, and then followed up on whether it ended up being accurate, I think most people would be surprised. Actually, check that, I think most people should be surprised, but many wouldn't care because their cognitive dissonance would kick in.
so what is the list?

I got lucky, I've been stuck in Vietnam thru the pandemic. This country aced the pandemic. If you think about it tho, the US has always been a cluster****

Reactions: brebelle3
so what is the list?
Give me some leeway on time, but I'll put one together.

But one kind of true "fake news" that always registers with me is every time there's a rumored firing coming at the White House or stories of general discontent about specific Sr. Staff it's called "fake news." And then within a month or so they're out the door (e.g., Tillerson or Mattis or Kelly all come to mind).

I appreciate the challenge. The Poli Sci nerd in me is going to enjoy looking this up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT