ADVERTISEMENT

So who's ready or likely to be come next Season?

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
After watching a lot of video on last year's incoming IU class, had the impression that Justin Smith was the only recruit potentially ready for D1. That Durham was also able to contribute was a definite plus but wondering what impressions are regarding next year's confirmed signees, Forrester, Phinisee, Anderson & Hunter. Highlight reels are admittedly limited tools, but some here have actually watched the two IN guys play (maybe for years) and perhaps the others as well.

So what might be expected? Have this notion that Justin might be useful/exciting as a backcourt supplement given the current lack of depth, particularly if there's some/enough replacement help inside from the new group along with Moore and Thompson. Don't know if JS has the handles for it but sure do like the idea of an explosive 6'6" guard. Allow that this is pure speculation - mostly interested in whether the new group will afford much in the way of immediate impact and who is likely to need time to get up to speed.

I think Hunter can have a Smith-like impact. Not a starter and a little inconsistent, but has some really good games and shows potential.

I think Race can provide 10-15 minutes of depth in the post. Similar to what McSwain gave us this year. He’s a wildcard for me.

I don’t think Phinisee, Anderson, or Forrester will play much. Hopefully they get some minutes and show potential. But I don’t think any of them are ready for the 7 deep. This group is going to take some time imo. Obviously the big unknown here is Romeo.

I think Hunter can have a Smith-like impact. Not a starter and a little inconsistent, but has some really good games and shows potential.

I think Race can provide 10-15 minutes of depth in the post. Similar to what McSwain gave us this year. He’s a wildcard for me.

I don’t think Phinisee, Anderson, or Forrester will play much. Hopefully they get some minutes and show potential. But I don’t think any of them are ready for the 7 deep. This group is going to take some time imo. Obviously the big unknown here is Romeo.
Uh Phinnisee will have to play if we don't get Romeo. We only have Durham and Green as guards.

Hunter is underrated and I think he will be in the starting lineup at some point next season. Anderson might get some playing time, depending on whether we sign Romeo and/or Taylor - I worry about his defense, but we could could have really used his jump shot last season. Phinissee will get some time, but he won't be running the team like Yogi was as a freshman. Race and Forrester wil compete for minutes, with Race having the advantage of already knowing the system.

If Phinissee is not better than Durham then we have wasted a sholly. Hate to knock Durham but he only played because our back court was both lacking in depth and talent this past year.

Reactions: RickyRoe
After watching a lot of video on last year's incoming IU class, had the impression that Justin Smith was the only recruit potentially ready for D1. That Durham was also able to contribute was a definite plus but wondering what impressions are regarding next year's confirmed signees, Forrester, Phinisee, Anderson & Hunter. Highlight reels are admittedly limited tools, but some here have actually watched the two IN guys play (maybe for years) and perhaps the others as well.

So what might be expected? Have this notion that Justin might be useful/exciting as a backcourt supplement given the current lack of depth, particularly if there's some/enough replacement help inside from the new group along with Moore and Thompson. Don't know if JS has the handles for it but sure do like the idea of an explosive 6'6" guard. Allow that this is pure speculation - mostly interested in whether the new group will afford much in the way of immediate impact and who is likely to need time to get up to speed.
Romeo will start. Phinisee and Hunter will get minutes and a chance to start.

Reactions: mike41703

Phinisee will play, and play alot.

I think Phinisee and Hunter will have a similar type of season as Smith and one of the other 3 freshmen will emerge as a solid contributor off the bench.

Race will give Morgan a blow at the four, and play alongside him if he can guard the five and protect the rim. This gives Morgan more minutes at the four on defense. Minutes will depend on Davis’s return from injury.

Langford will start.

Hunter will get his chance, and his ability or inability to score it efficiently and create assists will win or lose him minutes.

Anderson won’t be a focal point this year, but he can steal some minutes from McBob if he hits jumpers at a high percentage.

I see Phinisee getting minutes in every game, but will be used sparingly to protect his future. He has a lot of upside for installing Archie’s offense at IU, and he’s not going to push him out there to create bad habits or get injured. Maybe he will earn 20 minutes a game by the end of the season if he’s a quick learner.

Forrester won’t see the floor much, but he could move in front of Clifton Moore on the depth chart. I think he’s going to be a good four year player for IU. Minutes will also depend on Davis’s return.

Reactions: IULouie and fpeaugh
DG gets every chance to start and play big minutes at point, but he really needs to improve ball handling and decision making. RP will get minutes simply because he is a natural point with a handle and passing skills. If Durham bulks up, he becomes a lock down guard with size and that gets him on the court. Langford plays if he comes because at this point he would be the best shooter on the team. So minutes will come down to who defends. The other possibility is Hunter playing SG as much as he plays SF, especially if Langford goes anywhere else. DA can help by scoring the ball, but I'm not sure where he fits in best. Is it as a spot up shooter? Maybe. Still think they need to add a grad transfer with a handle and/or shooting ability.

I'm all in on Race Thompson. He's worked his butt off to be in great shape and he had skills already. He's not a project and had an entire season to learn the system and get ready. He will be on the court a lot and I continue to say Morgan, Smith and Thompson can be the best forward group in the B1G. That's not counting Hunter who really makes this a strong group albeit young and McRobert, who could be a defensive stopper. If he can add a jumper he becomes dangerous and teams will have to guard him. Sky is the limit for this group.

Davis, Forrester, and Moore - will either of them be ready to defend or rebound against other quality bigs? If the answer is yes, IU can match up with anyone and they become a special team next season. If not, they are still in better position than last season but will struggle against size. Show me a picture of Clifton Moore developing his body the way Race Thompson did and it really gets exciting.

Forrester is raw skills wise. Anderson needs severe conditioning.
Yes but that had nothing to do with guard play. Anderson is more of a 3 and Forrester is a 5. Phinnissee will have to play major minutes next year.

Reactions: T.M.P.
If Phinisee doesn't start, we are in trouble.
Depends on how much Durham and Green improve and/or who we sign this spring.

We have one open spot after we sign Langford, and still don't know if there will be transfers.

I’d imagine both will be ahead of Phinisee in the rotation. Especially Green.

I'd be shocked. Green hardly played in some of our games this season and our only other option was Newkirk who was abysmal.

Race will give Morgan a blow at the four, and play alongside him if he can guard the five and protect the rim. This gives Morgan more minutes at the four on defense. Minutes will depend on Davis’s return from injury.

Langford will start.

Hunter will get his chance, and his ability or inability to score it efficiently and create assists will win or lose him minutes.

Anderson won’t be a focal point this year, but he can steal some minutes from McBob if he hits jumpers at a high percentage.

I see Phinisee getting minutes in every game, but will be used sparingly to protect his future. He has a lot of upside for installing Archie’s offense at IU, and he’s not going to push him out there to create bad habits or get injured. Maybe he will earn 20 minutes a game by the end of the season if he’s a quick learner.

Forrester won’t see the floor much, but he could move in front of Clifton Moore on the depth chart. I think he’s going to be a good four year player for IU. Minutes will also depend on Davis’s return.
How did Moore get on NBA watch lists? It's a head scratcher for me because when you saw him on the court you knew he wasn't ready to compete in college. So how could he be on such a list for the NBA?

He sat because of turnovers. I actually like CAM for this policy. You mess up several times and you sit.

Exactly. Green has Tom Crean recruit written all over him. Phinesee is calm, cool and collected and is exactly the type of player Archie wants running the offense.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Ive been on here a long time and about the only thing I’ve learned is the incoming recruiting class is overhyped by fans every single year. It never fails. Which makes sense. Humans are emotional beings.

Last year was Moore...he was going to be a big contributor by Big Ten season, possibly even starting.

The year before was Davis.

Anyone remember “The Movement”?

The reality is very rarely do recruits ranked outside the top 30-40 make much of an impact their freshman year. Next year we have one top 100 recruit currently.

The success or failure of next year’s team will likely come from returning players. And Romeo! :)

Ive been on here a long time and about the only thing I’ve learned is the incoming recruiting class is overhyped by fans every single year. It never fails. Which makes sense. Humans are emotional beings.

Last year was Moore...he was going to be a big contributor by Big Ten season, possibly even starting.

The year before was Davis.

Anyone remember “The Movement”?

The reality is very rarely do recruits ranked outside the top 30-40 make much of an impact their freshman year. Next year we have one top 100 recruit currently.

The success or failure of next year’s team will likely come from returning players. And Romeo! :)

I agree 100%. A low 'high' ranked recruit has a shot at coming in and being productive but its truly rare. Those are the guys that typically come around their sophomore and or junior seasons. It's possible but very unlikely. So I see some limited minutes going to the freshman not named Romeo. Race is a wildcard because he is kind of a sophomore for all intents and purposes. I think primarily what we have coming back is likely to be the bread and butter. I think with Morgan and company returning that we will be a little better but Romeo will be the determining factor of whether or not we kick it up to contender level next year.

With that said, I do love this class. Archie is building the foundation the right way. No short cuts that will hinder the programs growth. If those young guys sit and or gosh forbid some RS, than so be it. They'll be contributors in time.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I'm banking on CAM having a more disciplined system that allows Freshmen to contribute like they do in other programs. Instead of the Crean-system of talent over technique (with a glaring lack of talent more often than not), CAM starts with a defensive philosophy and everything builds off of it. He will put the Freshmen in position to excel with specific roles and he has enough pieces this season to send guys to the bench if they are not doing their job. That's my hope anyway.

This is going to be fascinating to watch. Romeo aside, I think the development of DG over the summer and fall is the cornerstone of the ultimate lineup.

If he takes the coaching seriously and matches improved decision making and shooting technique with his already established gifts of solid footwork and lightning quick hands; he gives RP and AD more time to grow into their roles. Recall that JS didn't play jack until he was ready and he improved mpnicely.

If DG comes back the same guy it will thrust RP into the role and that in and of itself will be interesting.

Can't wait...

Reactions: ROBBOB
This is going to be fascinating to watch...

Recall that JS didn't play jack until he was ready and he improved nicely.

This is going to be fascinating to watch.

Commendable perspective. The part of your comment (above) on JS is sort of what I had in mine when I made the post, i.e., Justin seemed the only class member that had the physical talent/athleticism to earn minutes near-term. Having not watched the new guys, real question is/was who if anyone among them already has the physical talent to compete first year in the B10/14?

There will be a lot of competition on the front line. I would not be surprised if someone redshirts from this group.

Our guards will determine our season. Phinisee could be a 4 year PG. Green may start the year as the PG, but Phinisee could be counted on more as the season progresses. Shooting has to improve and I expect it will.

I think we will have a great year with or without RL. Romeo Langford will just be icing on the cake.
I hope you’re right. I think we’ll be worse than this year without Romeo. We lose quite a bit and aren’t adding much that helps day 1. It could get ugly next year without Romeo.

I hope you’re right. I think we’ll be worse than this year without Romeo. We lose quite a bit and aren’t adding much that helps day 1. It could get ugly next year without Romeo.
if morgan comes back, we ain't losing much.

if morgan comes back, we ain't losing much.
This board also said we wouldn’t lose much when Yogi left because we had a “pass first” PG coming in who would be better for our team. “Yogi shoots too much! We need someone who runs the offense looking to pass, not shoot!”

Yogi was the problem, not Crean. Or Vonleh was the bad apple.

That new “pass first” PG was Newkirk.

And Yogi is the ALL TIME assists leader in the history of IU basketball. More than any other player in 100 years of basketball.

The lesson: this board is crazy. We overvalue the new shiny recruit and undervalue what we have. People will see how much we miss Rob next year if we don’t get Romeo.

Phinesse will likely start at PG. Romeo will immediately be the team's leading scorer if he commits to IU. Immediate backcourt improvement. Forrester will be a long shot blocker and rebounder. Hunter bring's scoring, Anderson brings Swiss army knife all around ability and at strong 6'7" with handles he can be difficult to control as a point forward. Race will be similar to Anderson only with a more reliable perimeter shot. Anderson is a good defensive player and shot blocker. I think Archie's first recruiting class will play a lot and gain more minutes as the season progresses. DeRon's physical health is also a key as he returns. The incoming Freshmen have more long term potential than the upperclassmen. Romeo would provide the missing scoring link for an IU roster ready to take a big leap forward, and his Hoosier legend will continue to grow if he stays in state and remains a Hoosier.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT