ADVERTISEMENT

So what's cooking tonight?

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
I"m going to do billionaire's bacon/pig candy again tonight. Last week I screwed up . . . misread the recipe to include 1/4 cup of cayenne pepper instead of 1/4 tsp. It was hot . . . but when placed between 2 slices of dense sourdough bread, lettuce and tomato with some mayo it tasted fine.

This time I'm going to use the 1/4 tea spoon instead of the 1/4 cup. Might add some clove powder just to change the flavor a bit.

For the rest of the ingredients, use 1 lb of thick cut peppered bacon, 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup of maple syrup. Cook the bacon on a wire rack (with a pan underneath - but put aluminum foil over the pan to keep the drippings from making a mess) over a 350 degree fire for 15 minutes, then coat the bacon with the brown sugar/cayenne pepper/clove (optional) mix. Then cook for 15 more minutes over the 350 degree fire. Coat with maple syrup at the end of the cook.

Let cool for a bit after taking it off the fire.

Oh man . . . .

I"m going to do billionaire's bacon/pig candy again tonight. Last week I screwed up . . . misread the recipe to include 1/4 cup of cayenne pepper instead of 1/4 tsp. It was hot . . . but when placed between 2 slices of dense sourdough bread, lettuce and tomato with some mayo it tasted fine.

This time I'm going to use the 1/4 tea spoon instead of the 1/4 cup. Might add some clove powder just to change the flavor a bit.

For the rest of the ingredients, use 1 lb of thick cut peppered bacon, 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup of maple syrup. Cook the bacon on a wire rack (with a pan underneath - but put aluminum foil over the pan to keep the drippings from making a mess) over a 350 degree fire for 15 minutes, then coat the bacon with the brown sugar/cayenne pepper/clove (optional) mix. Then cook for 15 more minutes over the 350 degree fire. Coat with maple syrup at the end of the cook.

Oh man . . . .
That sounds awesome

Reactions: mk23 and Sope Creek
I asked what's cooking, not what you're smoking . . .

. . . but to each his own. Enjoy!

BTW, what kind of tea?
It’s got to be decaf. The days of being able to suck down coffee, chain smoking until one or two in the morning are long gone. So usually something herbal this late with my pipe, or maybe a cup of Red Rose.

P.S. I will be cooking up a couple of hot dogs in the microwave shortly, so there’s the cuisine.

It’s got to be decaf. The days of being able to suck down coffee, chain smoking until one or two in the morning are long gone. So usually something herbal this late with my pipe, or maybe a cup of Red Rose.
Turmeric and ginger in the mornings here . . . it helps with the sore joints from aging . . . .

Reactions: Radio Zero

Oh man . . . .

Don't know what's cooking tonight, yet. Probably a local Chinese restaurant will decide.

Anyway, gotta love the rowdy crowd at the Ryder Cup. Best show on TV.

Reactions: largemouth
Don't know what's cooking tonight, yet. Probably a local Chinese restaurant will decide.

Anyway, gotta love the rowdy crowd at the Ryder Cup. Best show on TV.
GrannySope is screaming at the TV . . . on her 97th birthday.

MrsSope is watching it while I prep the fire and bacon . . . I'm catching what I can of it.

P.S. I will be cooking up a couple of hot dogs in the microwave shortly, so there’s the cuisine.
We did dogs for the Iowa game. Chopped onions and sweet pickle relish on mine . . . somehow I got indigestion that night . . . could've been the cerveza.

Reactions: daddyhoosier
Turmeric and ginger in the mornings here . . . it helps with the sore joints from aging . . . .
I’m glad that you are actually helped by it. My wife recommended chamomile as a possible help with my longstanding initial insomnia, but I think my body has become so accustomed to what I term Western chemical medicine that a bunch of crushed flowers doesn’t make it.

A proper hot dog is ketchup, mustard, finely diced white onion, dill relish and celery salt. That sounds good lol I should have gone with that instead of Subway.

• Wow
Reactions: Sope Creek
In about 15 min. I'm going to pick up a large pepperoni pizza with onion and tomatoes from Stone Head Pizza Co. Immediately upon my return, I will get into my PJ's in preparation for a long night in front of the TV. My wife and I should be finishing the thin crusted pie about 15 min. before kickoff. Then I settle in to watch my Hoosiers. I love the adrenaline rushes throughout the game. I love pepperoni pizza.

I made tacos. Shaved steak, salt, taco seasoning, and poblano peppers with salsa, pickled jalapenos, and garlic sour cream with salt and pepper.

And lime soda stream. That reminds me I need to order gas.

I’m glad that you are actually helped by it. My wife recommended chamomile as a possible help with my longstanding initial insomnia, but I think my body has become so accustomed to what I term Western chemical medicine that a bunch of crushed flowers doesn’t make it.
I take a 1500 mg capsule every morning too. It helps. A lot.

Took a couple of weeks to get the effect, but once it took, it's allowed me to hike every day . . . .

I"m generally caffeine free these days, if that's what you're referring to. I have more vaccine shots in me than caffeine.

Oh man . . . .
That sounds really good. My wife does cocktail weenies for Super Bowl where she wraps them in bacon and then sprinkles it with brown sugar. They are enjoyable.

Oh man . . . .
One of the joys of learning to make maple syrup was having enough of it around to cook with. I’ve made maple glazed bacon a couple of times, nothing better. Dip the bacon in syrup and bake in oven, as you did. Wife can’t do spice so I’ve never ever tried it with cayenne but that sounds good.

ADVERTISEMENT