ADVERTISEMENT

So what would you do with the money?

You been to Estes Park? Taking my family next summer on a tour de Colorado, and i want to stay around RMNP for a few days. Can you recommend cool things that are not tourist traps...i.e cable car ride, horse back riding?

We have gone to Estes many times, we love it. I am not a good one on activities though, we hang out in RMNP. One thing I really like is in the summer the park will do a stargazing night. Up in the thin atmosphere, away from lights, it is beautiful.

In town there is often good food and a ton of touristy shopping. We usually devote an afternoon, particularly in bad weather, to that. But otherwise we are on our own in the park or doing a ranger led event. Driving Trail Ridge Road is a must. The family motto is "just look at the yellow line". Rangers say they frequently have to take over driving for people who get terrified.

Our last trip out we toured the state. Garden of the Gods was great, a very high recommendation. Telluride was a disappointment but it was in the 2 weeks between winter ending and summer beginning. It was empty. It looks in the summer there would be a ton of things to do we just were at the wrong time.

It was very windy when we went to Pike's Peak, we could only go 75% of the way up. It is beautiful up there.

My favorite activity you would be too late for. At Continental Pass we went dog sledding. A wonderful experience. But they close down about April 1.

And I love Denver. I have a hard time choosing between Denver and San Diego for favorite city.

My oldest went to college in Greely (do not go there) and went to Estes often. I will ask her if there are fun things aside from hanging out in RMNP.

We have gone to Estes many times, we love it. I am not a good one on activities though, we hang out in RMNP. One thing I really like is in the summer the park will do a stargazing night. Up in the thin atmosphere, away from lights, it is beautiful.

In town there is often good food and a ton of touristy shopping. We usually devote an afternoon, particularly in bad weather, to that. But otherwise we are on our own in the park or doing a ranger led event. Driving Trail Ridge Road is a must. The family motto is "just look at the yellow line". Rangers say they frequently have to take over driving for people who get terrified.

Our last trip out we toured the state. Garden of the Gods was great, a very high recommendation. Telluride was a disappointment but it was in the 2 weeks between winter ending and summer beginning. It was empty. It looks in the summer there would be a ton of things to do we just were at the wrong time.

It was very windy when we went to Pike's Peak, we could only go 75% of the way up. It is beautiful up there.

My favorite activity you would be too late for. At Continental Pass we went dog sledding. A wonderful experience. But they close down about April 1.

And I love Denver. I have a hard time choosing between Denver and San Diego for favorite city.

My oldest went to college in Greely (do not go there) and went to Estes often. I will ask her if there are fun things aside from hanging out in RMNP.
Thanks. We have some young ones, so I need to mix that in. We will go to Garden of the Gods but go to the Cheyenne Zoo too...There are things like hot springs/train rides we will get to...looking forward to it

So I'm reading that there's a big lottery coming up, one that would pay $900M lump sum, around $500M after taxes.

Has anyone given any serious thought to what they would do if they woke up one morning with $500M? What would you do with it? Seriously?

Me, of course I would spend/squander a bunch (splurge on a double-wide, buy an airplane and get my private pilot's license, etc.), then set up my family (brothers, nieces/nephews, step-kids and step-grandkids) with enough for their educations and a nice chunk to do with what they will, and then... I dunno.

What I think I'd like to do is do something along the lines of what Bill and Gayle Cook did, investing in such a manner as to revitalize a town or region (i.e. Bloomington downtown, French Lick/West Baden) and in the process put a lot of people to work and into business themselves. Done right, while the ROI might not be there, the ventures themselves are self sustaining, and the wealth still remains in the equity investment

Gif0_two_chicks.gif

We've always taken out-of-town guests to the Lazy B for the show and dinner. It's very entertaining and has been in business for decades.

These days Estes is very crowded. RMNP is worth it though--especially if you can hike into the back country. I don't know what your schedule is, but if you want to see gorgeous scenery without the crowds, try Telluride and Ouray.
Thanks, i might have to go to the LazyB.....hope they don't mind city folk drinking all their beer and taking all their women

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT