ADVERTISEMENT

So the House has impeached President tRump

If I was Mconnell I would just convene the Senate if she doesn't send it over and then dismiss it which they legally can do. Now that is strategy.
Pelosi should send the articles. How long can she hold onto them? The House did their job, and now it is the responsibility of the Senate. If she doesn't send them over then the Senate has the right to dismiss the whole thing.
Please, Van, give us all a lesson on Constitutional law and Senate rules and procedures. We are dying to hear your expert voice.

Please, Van, give us all a lesson on Constitutional law and Senate rules and procedures. We are dying to hear your expert voice.

The principle of finality is as important here as in all other kinds of governmental proceedings. The senate is well within its constitutional authority to establish a time within which the articles must be presented to the senate. If the time isn’t net, the articles are null and finished. Pelosi can’t hold this open indefinitely. The house would have to start over with a new cause for impeachment.

This is essentially what Van argues in a non-legal way.

And goat, you are in over your head yet again.

Pelosi should send the articles. How long can she hold onto them? The House did their job, and now it is the responsibility of the Senate. If she doesn't send them over then the Senate has the right to dismiss the whole thing.
From what I've read there is no timeline defined on when the articles have to be delivered. If that's true then the how long is "indefinitely". And if we think of "the articles of impeachment" as charges (which they are), you can't dismiss them until they've been filed.

Effectively she's holding Sword of Damocles over t-rump.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone in the know will correct me me

Pelosi should hold the articles for the same amount of time the Garland nomination was held.

From what I've read there is no timeline defined on when the articles have to be delivered. If that's true then the how long is "indefinitely". And if we think of "the articles of impeachment" as charges (which they are), you can't dismiss them until they've been filed.

Effectively she's holding Sword of Damocles over t-rump.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone in the know will correct me me
When it comes to impeachment, both the House and the Senate have sole, unreviewable authority to define their own rules. This means the House can hold on to the Articles and present them to the Senate whenever they damn well please.

Last edited:
When it comes to impeachment, both the House and the Senate have sole, unreviewable authority to define their own rules. This means the House can hold onto the Articles and present them to the Senate whenever they damn well please.
Thanks Goat.
I was saying what seemed to be logical married to the information I was able to dig up. And I responded a couple of times without saying "YOU DUMBASS!!!" once. That's a lot of personal growth on my end.

When it comes to impeachment, both the House and the Senate have sole, unreviewable authority to define their own rules. This means the House can hold onto the Articles and present them to the Senate whenever they damn well please.
I don't think there's really any advantage or grand strategy to Pelosi holding them up, but I appreciate her pwning McConnell and Trump by hinting about doing it.

Maybe she should hold on to them until the election, and if Trump is reelected she can send them over then. Not that it would make a practical difference, but it would probably be the most epic troll in history, evah.

I don't think there's really any advantage or grand strategy to Pelosi holding them up, but I appreciate her pwning McConnell and Trump by hinting about doing it.

Maybe she should hold on to them until the election, and if Trump is reelected she can send them over then. Not that it would make a practical difference, but it would probably be the most epic troll in history, evah.
I don't think she'll hold them very long. I think she's just scoring some points against Mitch in the public. She's probably well aware that public interest in impeachment is just now starting to expand beyond the nerds and partisans, and she wants to get the first punch in.

The deeper strategy by Pelosi is that the Dems are happy to have the whole thing stop now. It is clear the President isn't going to be removed and so the articles of impeachment stand only as a protest by the house...a kind of super censure that is modestly satisfying to their base. Pelosi has the advantage unless the GOP prefers to have a real trial.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack

That makes no sense. If you are correct then the Senate can decide to not hold the trial until after Trump’s second term or whenever it damn well pleases. I think you are being silly.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
That makes no sense. If you are correct then the Senate can decide to not hold the trial until after Trump’s second term or whenever it damn well pleases. I think you are being silly.
In theory, the Senate could do just that (they'd have to change their own standing rules, of course, and I really doubt Mitch could get 51 votes for such a change). Nixon v. U.S. was pretty clear that the courts have absolutely no role to play in interpreting what it means to "try" an impeachment.

It must be admitted, however, that White and Souter made some compelling arguments in their concurrences that the majority was wrong on this point (Souter famously suggested that if the Senate sought to convict or acquit on account of a coin toss, that might be so outside the bounds of the body's Constitutional duty as to allow judicial review), so I guess we won't know for sure unless and until they try.

Did anyone watch the "Titanic" without knowing the ending?

Mitch will call for a vote as soon as he can.
Article One....not guilty
Article Two....not guilty

Still could be worth watching though.
Yep just like when Clinton was impeached.... be found not guilty.

I'm not even sure what the purpose of this Yabbut is.
I'm not sure what the purpose of the post that I was replying to was except to suggest that it would be something unusual for him to be found not guilty which I pointed out isn't. We all know it's politics being played by both sides.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the post that I was replying to was except to suggest that it would be something unusual for him to be found not guilty which I pointed out isn't. We all know it's politics being played by both sides.
I think the post you were responding to was not suggesting that it would be something unusual for him to be found not guilty. Quite the opposite: tooold seemed to be pointing out that the result was inevitable.

I think the post you were responding to was not suggesting that it would be something unusual for him to be found not guilty. Quite the opposite: tooold seemed to be pointing out that the result was inevitable.
Yep and I was pointing out that it was inevitable when Clinton was impeached...... it's was all politics in Clinton's case (even it if was proven that he lied) and it's all politics now. What a waste of taxpayer's money when there are so many other places the money could be used and so many other problems to solve.

Yep and I was pointing out that it was inevitable when Clinton was impeached...... it's was all politics in Clinton's case (even it if was proven that he lied) and it's all politics now. What a waste of taxpayer's money when there are so many other places the money could be used and so many other problems to solve.
I see. So no matter what tooold actually meant, your response is still a Yabbut "Both Sides Play Politics," and for an added bonus, you threw in a "But also Clinton was actually guilty."

Cool story, bro.

Sounds to me like you're in over your head again.

In theory, the Senate could do just that (they'd have to change their own standing rules, of course, and I really doubt Mitch could get 51 votes for such a change). Nixon v. U.S. was pretty clear that the courts have absolutely no role to play in interpreting what it means to "try" an impeachment.

It must be admitted, however, that White and Souter made some compelling arguments in their concurrences that the majority was wrong on this point (Souter famously suggested that if the Senate sought to convict or acquit on account of a coin toss, that might be so outside the bounds of the body's Constitutional duty as to allow judicial review), so I guess we won't know for sure unless and until they try.

I think the authority to issue orders in the nature of mandamus is inherent to the judicial branch of government. This is not judicial review and it isn't interpretation of congressional authority. It's simply ordering that another branch of government undertake the duties assigned to it.

I think the authority to issue orders in the nature of mandamus is inherent to the judicial branch of government. This is not judicial review and it isn't interpretation of congressional authority. It's simply ordering that another branch of government undertake the duties assigned to it.
What is the point in ordering the Senate to perform an act if SCOTUS has already ruled that the Senate gets to define said act? Either way, they'd have to overturn Nixon, and that would require interpretation and a revisiting of the political question doctrine.

I see. So no matter what tooold actually meant, your response is still a Yabbut "Both Sides Play Politics," and for an added bonus, you threw in a "But also Clinton was actually guilty."

Cool story, bro.
And you seem to imply (and so did tooold) that it's not politics... way to go bro.

What is the point in ordering the Senate to perform an act if SCOTUS has already ruled that the Senate gets to define said act? Either way, they'd have to overturn Nixon, and that would require interpretation and a revisiting of the political question doctrine.

I don’t think mandamus is that complicated. SCOTUS can order the senate to hold a trial w/o defining trial procedures.

So it seems the Dems are going to chicken out and not prosecute their charade.

And you seem to imply (and so did tooold) that it's not politics... way to go bro.

Just to be semi clear, the only way it's not politics is if Mitch would allow for witnesses to determine the truth and quit with the obstruction or whitewashing if you prefer.

From what I've read, Pelosi needs a House vote to appoint impeachment managers to carry the case to the Senate. She makes a good point in wondering what kind of show Mitch is going to orchestrate in the Senate, knowing the answer to that she could better decide between the fat man or the bearded lady to send to the sideshow. Then there is the practical matter of who in the world would want to enter the clown show and try to remain professional.

Prolly nothing happens until after the holidays, hopefully it all doesn't ruin too many Christmas dinners.

Don’t agree for reasons I said several posts ago. And I’ll add SCOTUS didn’t discuss or decide mandamus.
No, but they decided the Senate gets to define what "try" means. You can't just sidestep the issue. Mandamus doesn't mean shit if SCOTUS doesn't also reserve the right to overturn the Senate's definition of "try."

Yup, historic ..

We may be watching the downfall of our society as we knew it. It's astounding that half of our political system is willing to gaslight the American public for a Russian stooge and it may just embolden this Russian stooge to do worse than he already has. What we do after this is important. My hope is they get pummelled at the voting box, a way of our public saying "not today, douchebags" .. but I don't really have much faith in our public as a whole.

What we are watching is the first world wide criminal network in play (one started with Russian mobs combined with Russian intelligence networks) and I'm not sure a singular nation can fight it on it's own. This isn't just a US problem, every country is infected one way or another. The strings of Russian oligarch money laundering must be extensive. Everything leads to and ends with Russians (and Pro Russian ex-Soviets) everything.

Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT