ADVERTISEMENT

So much talent...so few scholarships...

SouthBendJim

Junior
Dec 19, 2004
According to various articles and outlets, we are recruiting or have offered at least the following players:

Vince Iwuchukwu (C)
Braden Smith (PG)
Kaleb Banks (F)
Noah Clowney (F)
Ju;lian Phillips (F)
Jalen Washington (F)
Seth Trimble (PG)
Alex Karaban (F)
Kyle Filipowski (F)
Rodney Rice (G)
Justin Taylor (F)
and showing interest in others.

According to the Daily Hoosier, if everyone that has eligibility left stays, we will be one over the limit with the addition of commit CJ Gunn. A lot of great talent here, you could probably put together a NCAA championship team from this list. If someone accepts the offer we made, how do we make good on the offer?

Would really like to see Rice and Filipowski on our team. How do we pass on in-state star Jalen Washington?

I realize that not everyone we offer will come, and not everyone is interested in us. After all, we haven't won anything with the new coaching staff in place. But can someone tell me why we make so many offers, with so few open spots?

Because we don't want to be left wanting just because a handful do not choose us. Plus, if they know we have more offers than spots, then there is more pressure to choose us before someone else does..

Plus, with the free for all transferring, one never knows how many spots they will have in the end.

Last edited:
Maybe Washington/Filipowski or Iwuchukwu/Clowney plus Gunn. IU has guards in place . Will need front line help. Depending on the upcoming season 3-4 could possibly be gone. No true ideas on that yet. But with possibility of Race and TJD DOING GREAT,ONE NEVER KNOWS.

Maybe Washington/Filipowski or Iwuchukwu/Clowney plus Gunn. IU has guards in place . Will need front line help. Depending on the upcoming season 3-4 could possibly be gone. No true ideas on that yet. But with possibility of Race and TJD DOING GREAT,ONE NEVER KNOWS.
Iwuchukwu is probably going to Baylor. Purdue was on him and Washington early, but no visits seems to have sealed the deal for Baylor. Visits allowed again, but seems to late. Be curious how serious Washington takes iu. They have struggled with the region and it seems like purdue leads. Filipowski will be interesting to watch.

At think at minimum three players leave:
-TJD pro
-Race
-Stewart

With Gunn committed we’ll have at least 2 open scholarships. Think there’s a good chance Phinisee and Stewart leave as well.

Filipkowski should be priority #1 right now. I absolutely love everything about his game. I think Clowney is an interesting prospect and believe he’s up to 6’10. Think IU needs to take a hard look at a PG as well, not sold on Lander. Trimble would make sense, but I think you could get a seasoned PG in the portal and not have to worry about the learning curve. Along with Gunn, I expect 3-4 new additions next year.

At think at minimum three players leave:
-TJD pro
-Race
-Stewart

With Gunn committed we’ll have at least 2 open scholarships. Think there’s a good chance Phinisee and Stewart leave as well.

Filipkowski should be priority #1 right now. I absolutely love everything about his game. I think Clowney is an interesting prospect and believe he’s up to 6’10. Think IU needs to take a hard look at a PG as well, not sold on Lander. Trimble would make sense, but I think you could get a seasoned PG in the portal and not have to worry about the learning curve. Along with Gunn, I expect 3-4 new additions next year.
Disagree on Stewart. He’s got two years left.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
He’ll be 23 in July. You think Stewart is playing basketball at IU as a 25 year old and in his 7th year in college? Highly doubt he’s back next year, let alone in two years.
I bet he’s back. He’s got 2 not 3. Who would you want? Him or Rob? I bet a couple won’t be asked to return. Rob will probably be one of them.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
I bet he’s back. He’s got 2 not 3. Who would you want? Him or Rob? I bet a couple won’t be asked to return. Rob will probably be one of them.

I think both Rob and Parker will realize that they both have degrees and pursue professional opportunities elsewhere.

Over signing will be the new norm in college bball with the new transfer rules.

Free agency, while benefitting some, will be offset by whom it is a detriment.

Since unlike a few On here I have no sources, it comes down to prior observations and gut instinct. My Forecasting Ball says two of Rob, Parker and the young man from Pitt go. Allso TJD goes. Race 75% goes.
If my math is correct then with Gunn coming in we would still have three to offer.
on the other hand all of them returning would be great but leaves us with an over sign.

Since unlike a few On here I have no sources, it comes down to prior observations and gut instinct. My Forecasting Ball says two of Rob, Parker and the young man from Pitt go. Allso TJD goes. Race 75% goes.
If my math is correct then with Gunn coming in we would still have three to offer.
on the other hand all of them returning would be great but leaves us with an over sign.
I predict….I don’t know. Looking like we are going after a lot of forwards. I don’t think all three go but I bet if you can’t shoot you are gone.

I think one or both of Leal/Galloway go. Both have holes in their games that probably can't get fixed. Galloway's shot, Leal's lack of quickness/driving ability.

I think one or both of Leal/Galloway go. Both have holes in their games that probably can't get fixed. Galloway's shot, Leal's lack of quickness/driving ability.
Both of those guys will graduate from IU. They are full 4 year guys and each will be valuable when they are Jr.’s and Sr.’s. So no neither of those guys are going anywhere. Galloway has a great motor and will fix his shot. And Trey has that Bball IQ and Leal will be the 3 point dead eye shooter for sure. These were the first 2 players to say no matter what they will stay at after Archie was fired. Because they came to IU to go to Indiana University and not just the because Archie was coach. That type of loyalty and strength of character tells me that as IU players when they are upperclassmen will show what IU basketball is all about. They are IU basketball. One is an Indiana Mr. basketball and the other was therunner up I believe. So I wouldn’t plan on an opening with either of Trey or Leal leaving and I am so glad for that.

I agree about Leal but Galloway is a special player that every team needs and wants. Woody says that if you cannot shoot, find another way to help the team. Galloway fits that bill.

Reactions: 76-1 and mattn7
I agree about Leal but Galloway is a special player that every team needs and wants. Woody says that if you cannot shoot, find another way to help the team. Galloway fits that bill.
Not sure how he would be viewed as a special player. He’s done nothing to earn that status.

Not sure how he would be viewed as a special player. He’s done nothing to earn that status.
He has an incredible basketball IQ and he does the little things that help a team win. That was what I meant by special.
Not everyone can be the star and a team needs role players.

He has an incredible basketball IQ and he does the little things that help a team win. That was what I meant by special.
Not everyone can be the star and a team needs role players.
Again, what suggests that his bball IQ is “incredible” or that the little things he does help his team win? I know where you’re trying to go here, but it’s really more cliches than substance.

Reactions: LifeLong_IU77
According to various articles and outlets, we are recruiting or have offered at least the following players:

Vince Iwuchukwu (C)
Braden Smith (PG)
Kaleb Banks (F)
Noah Clowney (F)
Ju;lian Phillips (F)
Jalen Washington (F)
Seth Trimble (PG)
Alex Karaban (F)
Kyle Filipowski (F)
Rodney Rice (G)
Justin Taylor (F)
and showing interest in others.

According to the Daily Hoosier, if everyone that has eligibility left stays, we will be one over the limit with the addition of commit CJ Gunn. A lot of great talent here, you could probably put together a NCAA championship team from this list. If someone accepts the offer we made, how do we make good on the offer?

Would really like to see Rice and Filipowski on our team. How do we pass on in-state star Jalen Washington?

I realize that not everyone we offer will come, and not everyone is interested in us. After all, we haven't won anything with the new coaching staff in place. But can someone tell me why we make so many offers, with so few open spots?
So we can waste a scholarship on a 7 footer that struggled at South florida...smh. This is exactly my point

Again, what suggests that his bball IQ is “incredible” or that the little things he does help his team win? I know where you’re trying to go here, but it’s really more cliches than substance.
Just my humble opinion about his talents. I really appreciate players with his attributes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT