ADVERTISEMENT

So is Wilson still OC at O$U?.....

At the time it was reported in Bloomington that Wilson was not welcome in any local drinking establishment. That's why he drank in Ellettsville and Martinsville. There was even one report that he had to be retrieved from Martinsville.
This is not a link. When the guy was at IU, people got banned for suggesting this stuff.

Ohio State’s football pedigree, foundation and strong leadership (Gene Smith and Urban Meyer) made Day’s hire legitimate. IU doesn’t have any of those attributes, so the comparison really isn’t a valid one.

Smith and Meyer? I guess it depends on how you define leadership.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
I don't dislike CTA, but to suggest the Day and CTA hires are the same or even similar is a bit silly. Day's background, although absent HC experience, is much stronger and includes position coach for two NFL teams. I have heard friends argue he was hired as a "coach in waiting" and, according to Glass, that was not the case with CTA. IU, while there was some success under Wilson, was still a rather large build process, OSU was not. To not name CTA interim and allow him to apply as part of a national search is still mind-blowing to me.

I tend to agree with you but not for the same reasons Ord spews. Interim was the right path, there were some good options to interview at the time. The jury is out on TA but recruiting has improved a lot with two of the top three classes historically coming under TA...let's see it play out this season and next.

You are drawing conclusions with almost zero facts on which to base them.

Close, but no.

He is ignoring multiple facts and selecting only the 1 or 2 that support “the” conclusion he wants.

His position is that spending the least money possible was the sole reason IU hired Allen.

That’s a dumb argument, but many at The Hickory Barbershop tout that one.

Reactions: Al Bino and JIMSHAM
ummm...did Glass do a real coaching search? No.

did Glass hire the 14th highest paid coach in the conference? Yes

Cheap
I would venture to say that there are coaches out there today that are 0-3 or 1-3 and make a lot more than Coach Allen.....Point being is that we could be paying a lot more for worse results..

Last edited:
At the time it was reported in Bloomington that Wilson was not welcome in any local drinking establishment. That's why he drank in Ellettsville and Martinsville. There was even one report that he had to be retrieved from Martinsville.

I have heard reports that there is a real Easter Bunny and Santa has dropped 45 pounds. Does not mean I believe them? While I am hoping CTA gets it done, the after the fact "shotgun approach" as to justifications for Wilson's firing suggest to me that there was a simple desire to go another way (maybe with less of a confrontational coach) and that is what was done. Rumors mean little to me. They seem more important to those who wish to discredit anything Wilson did at IU.

Last edited:
Close, but no.

He is ignoring multiple facts and selecting only the 1 or 2 that support “the” conclusion he wants.

His position is that spending the least money possible was the sole reason IU hired Allen.

That’s a dumb argument, but many at The Hickory Barbershop tout that one.
I wonder if Ohio State was being cheap when they hired Day a guy on staff with one game as an interim guy without doing s national search.

Reactions: JIMSHAM and 76-1
I have heard reports that there is a real Easter Bunny and Santa has dropped 45 pounds. Does not mean I believe them? While I am hoping CTA gets it done, the after the fact "shotgun approach" as to justifications for Wilson's firing suggest to me that there was a simple desire to go another way (maybe with less of a confrontational coach) and that is what was done. Rumors mean little to me. They seem more important to those who wish to discredit anything Wilson did at IU.
It seems kind of pointless to be relitigating the whole Kevin Wilson thing three years after he was canned, but a guy decided to start this provocative thread so it's not surprising that a bunch of people are weighing in with varying opinions and information that may or may not be factual.

Here's an interesting fact. Wilson's been in coaching for 35 years. Aside from the opportunity that Glass gave him at IU, he's been a head coach just one other time - - at a high school in the late 1980s, for exactly one season. That team went 0-10.

Here's my opinion. Wilson's a solid developer of offenses, a strong coordinator and/or assistant coach, but he's not head coaching material. I think he was given a pretty long leash at IU, and then likely resisted when attempts were made to rein him in. A parting of the ways was inevitable - - and necessary.

What "shotgun approach" are you referring to? Glass brought in outside investigators twice and gave Wilson direct, written orders to change his behavior. The process was incredibly thorough and well documented. Glass couldn't have done things more by the book.

I have always believed that FG knew that a powerhouse program was going to throw $$$ at CTA to come in as a DC. He simply could not, or would not, be willing to pay $2 million to a coordinator. Rather than lose the one man that had seemingly fixed our defense in 25 years, he saw an opportunity to hold on to CKW's momentum, avoid transfers and de-commitments, and rid himself of CKW's confrontational, abrasive, and demanding personality. I think CKW was completely railroaded. I know that CKW didn't fight his termination, but I think he saw the writing on the wall, felt under-appreciated, and knew he could command a similar salary as an OC.

I will be the first to admit that this is strictly my opinion - I have no inside information.

I wonder if Ohio State was being cheap when they hired Day a guy on staff with one game as an interim guy without doing s national search.

Clemson went cheap too - hired a guy on staff that nobody had heard of name Dabo Swinney

Here's what ESPN thought about that one:

"Clemson. The hire: Swinney, who was recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach until Tommy Bowden was whacked in midseason. The grade: D-plus.

Swinney was part and parcel of a failed season, but somehow got a promotion out of the deal. Who knew that beating Duke and Virginia could lead to such ample rewards? Clemson fans loved the fact that the Tigers closed the regular season by beating rival South Carolina. But hey, Bowden beat the Gamecocks seven times in nine tries and look where that got him. Swinney has the same thing going for him that Sarkisian has at Washington: the in-conference competition in the ACC isn't that stiff."

(They also gave Kansas State a D for hiring Bill Snyder.)

Truth is that each hire - internal or otherwise - is impacted by the facts on the ground at the time - MANY factors. Ours included:

Wilson's whole tenure - "big boy" football - meanness - Indy radio issues - trying to "win" the second bowl
24 Sports/One Team
Allen's deep Indiana high school football roots, i.e. high school coaches
Illinois' "player abuse" scandal
The IU Crew team "player abuse" scandal
The seeds of the Florida pipeline and Mallory "heading South for speed" back when Glass was in school

And more that never surfaced, including likely comments when Fred talked with contacts
(Example - Bob Knight hired Mike Davis in large part because CM Newton recommended him.)

But to say "Glass hired Allen to keep from paying a big salary" is just ignoring things.

Clemson went cheap too - hired a guy on staff that nobody had heard of name Dabo Swinney

"Clemson. The hire: Swinney, who was recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach until Tommy Bowden was whacked in midseason. The grade: D-plus.

Swinney was part and parcel of a failed season, but somehow got a promotion out of the deal. Who knew that beating Duke and Virginia could lead to such ample rewards? Clemson fans loved the fact that the Tigers closed the regular season by beating rival South Carolina. But hey, Bowden beat the Gamecocks seven times in nine tries and look where that got him. Swinney has the same thing going for him that Sarkisian has at Washington: the in-conference competition in the ACC isn't that stiff."

Truth is that each hire - internal or otherwise - is impacted by the facts on the ground at the time - MANY factors. Ours included:

Wilson's whole tenure - "big boy" football - meanness - Indy radio issues - trying to "win" the second bowl
24 Sports/One Team
The seeds of the Florida pipeline and Mallory "heading South for speed" back when Glass was in school

And more that never surfaced, including likely comments when Fred talked with contacts
(Example - Bob Knight hired Mike Davis in large part because CM Newton recommended him.)

But to say "Glass hired Allen to keep from paying a big salary" is just ignoring things.
Nice work and I know that Boise State used to stay in house they did technically outside and got their guy from Texas even though he had been at Boise. Also Utah stayed in house with Whittingham after Meyer.

Reactions: 76-1
Nice work and I know that Boise State used to stay in house they did technically outside and got their guy from Texas even though he had been at Boise. Also Utah stayed in house with Whittingham after Meyer.
In each example, however, wasn’t the hiring decision made by someone who had a deep understanding of what it takes to build and maintain a winning football program?

In each example, however, wasn’t the hiring decision made by someone who had a deep understanding of what it takes to build and maintain a winning football program?
Or maybe it was someone that just got lucky.
I am sure that the decision was made by AD and blessed by the president which I am sure probably happened at Indiana.

Or maybe it was someone that just got lucky.
I am sure that the decision was made by AD and blessed by the president which I am sure probably happened at Indiana.
Experienced and knowledgeable professionals are often “lucky” while those lacking in industry specific experience and knowledge are correspondingly “unlucky”.

What "shotgun approach" are you referring to? Glass brought in outside investigators twice and gave Wilson direct, written orders to change his behavior. The process was incredibly thorough and well documented. Glass couldn't have done things more by the book.

And the result of the investigation was the determination of an " unhealthy environment" (per Indy Star), which was generally left to speculation. What we do knowd, per Glass, "“An outside investigation has concluded that Nick did not receive inadequate medical care, that there is no evidence that the coaching staff exerted improper influence on the medical staff regarding the student-athlete’s medical care,” (Indy Star) As a matter of fact, I believe Glass said no athlete recieved inadequate care. Then we start hearing rumors of from making fun of sidelined players to drinking issue. Sorry, I been alive to long and can recognize when an organization allows others to define what an "unhealthy environment" might be by speculation and rumors. As one who is, or was, I believe, connected to the University, you can believe what you want.

And the result of the investigation was the determination of an " unhealthy environment" (per Indy Star), which was generally left to speculation. What we do knowd, per Glass, "“An outside investigation has concluded that Nick did not receive inadequate medical care, that there is no evidence that the coaching staff exerted improper influence on the medical staff regarding the student-athlete’s medical care,” (Indy Star) As a matter of fact, I believe Glass said no athlete recieved inadequate care. Then we start hearing rumors of from making fun of sidelined players to drinking issue. Sorry, I been alive to long and can recognize when an organization allows others to define what an "unhealthy environment" might be by speculation and rumors. As one who is, or was, I believe, connected to the University, you can believe what you want.
You're talking about medical care. Of course Glass is going to say no one received inadequate medical care. He's not stupid. For him to say otherwise is kicking the door open for lawsuits. None of that means Wilson didn't behave inappropriately.
The first investigation was 2 years before Wilson resigned. That's quite a long set up for an excuse to part ways, don't you think?
I don't really care about rumors about drinking but Glass took extreme measures to document Wilson's treatment of players. There's no question that it was wrong. All you really need to know to confirm that is that Wilson agreed to resign instead of forcing Glass to fire him. No one is going to walk away from a Big Ten head coaching job unless he knows he's been caught dead to rights.

24 Sports/One Team

Exactly, Allen may turn out to be a short term coach but he wasn't hired because he was "cheap" that is a lazy excuse. Money is not an issue. Glass obviously believed he was the best man for that situation, but it wasn't to save money.

Glass was in a tough spot in part due to his own actions. That said, he handled the performance management process correctly.

Glass was in a tough spot in part due to his own actions. That said, he handled the performance management process correctly.

200.gif

Reactions: 76-1
Here is my thing.... according to many on here CKW had a history of the alleged behavior described in Bloomington. Some how CKW lasted 10 years at a high profile football program with no incidents. He comes to IU, and is all of a sudden steps away from being a complete embarrassment to the University. THEN, he goes to another top football program and has so far, had zero issues.....

Once again, I wonder if it is an IU thing or is EVERYONE else the problem?

Sorry guys, IU is the odd ball in this. It’s time you guys stop making excuses and look at the water in B-Town.

Reactions: Flooded Timber

24 Sports/One Team

I'd always heard it was Pat Knight who recommended Davis be hired. He coached with him. I'm sure Newton gave his approval - Davis was known as a hard-nosed player.

Wasn't Davis selling T-Shirts out of the trunk of his car at one time before Knight hired him?

I admit I never liked Davis as a HC. But I'll tell you what - nobody wanted to beat Kentucky more than Mike Davis. And, for that, he has my undying respect.

I'm glad his life has turned out so well. He probably won't win a national championship, but he's made a great living at a job he loves.

Here is my thing.... according to many on here CKW had a history of the alleged behavior described in Bloomington. Some how CKW lasted 10 years at a high profile football program with no incidents. He comes to IU, and is all of a sudden steps away from being a complete embarrassment to the University. THEN, he goes to another top football program and has so far, had zero issues.....

Sorry guys, IU is the odd ball in this. It’s time you guys stop making excuses and look at the water in B-Town.
Wut?

What is confusing? No issues before or after IU. So who or what really is the problem? Schools that have successful programs and know how to manage them (CKW) or is it IU who talks about a winning program but can’t manage or stomach what winning programs generally do.... that is a more direct version of what I am getting at.

IU and Ahia have different standards particularly with Urban. We shall see how he does with Day.

What is confusing? No issues before or after IU. So who or what really is the problem? Schools that have successful programs and know how to manage them (CKW) or is it IU who talks about a winning program but can’t manage or stomach what winning programs generally do.... that is a more direct version of what I am getting at.

No issues? You don't know that at all. The only two things we know are that he had lots of issues in BTown and Urban. That said, the Feepaws and Ordys all said that OK was glad to get rid of him.

No issues? You don't know that at all. The only two things we know are that he had lots of issues in BTown and Urban. That said, the Feepaws and Ordys all said that OK was glad to get rid of him.
No WE don’t know that.... again rumors

We

know from plenty of folks involved that he had issues on and off the field in Btown. We also know Urban.
Ah yes the “people” we know.... funny how even the police are complicit in this conspiracy in three different city’s....

The good people of Bloomington....it’s the water

No WE don’t know that.... again rumors
C'mon man.... the incident with the RA wasn't just a rumor.

If you hear is once or twice, it's a rumor. If you hear it consistently from multiple sources who have no interest in getting rid of Wilson, there's an indication there's something wrong.

Let's just be kind and say that Wilson and IU/Bloomington were not a good fit.

Ah yes the “people” we know.... funny how even the police are complicit in this conspiracy in three different city’s....

The good people of Bloomington....it’s the water

wtf are you talking about? We have asst coaches, trainers, business owners, the AD, resident hall employees, students and the police.

Can't imagine the need to be a KW apologist.

wtf are you talking about? We have asst coaches, trainers, business owners, the AD, resident hall employees, students and the police.

Can't imagine the need to be a KW apologist.
Please..... this is why IU will be the doormat always. Fakenews.... it’s only real in your courts

C'mon man.... the incident with the RA wasn't just a rumor.

If you hear is once or twice, it's a rumor. If you hear it consistently from multiple sources who have no interest in getting rid of Wilson, there's an indication there's something wrong.

Let's just be kind and say that Wilson and IU/Bloomington were not a good fit.
Hmmm.... so he is an ass..... hmmmm.... what else you got? Look I hate this subject but certain people always seem to have a need to bring it up. I think they do because they know we had the DC/OC combo on campus and couldn’t deal with working with someone you don’t like.

I am just not someone who supports naming people guilty without any chance to defend themselves.

I still think IU brings these things on themselves.

Hmmm.... so he is an ass..... hmmmm.... what else you got? Look I hate this subject but certain people always seem to have a need to bring it up. I think they do because they know we had the DC/OC combo on campus and couldn’t deal with working with someone you don’t like.

I am just not someone who supports naming people guilty without any chance to defend themselves.

I still think IU brings these things on themselves.

OK, he is the angel you describe him to be...congrats.

How about this...he sucked as an in game coach and his recruiting was poor and getting worse. His roster management was horrific particularly with QB and OL. Recruiting has gone up considerably under Allen...the jury is out on coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT