ADVERTISEMENT

So is that Archie

chaboom

Junior
Mar 17, 2005
You can hear yelling instructions all while we're trying running the offense. Almost as if he's trying to talk them through it? I hope I'm wrong.

No, you’re not hearing Archie or the staff yelling instructions at all during the games. I’ve never heard of this happening before. What a shame if this is true. Coaches need to stay quiet during the action. I’m going to Parler to see if anyone there saw something.

No, you’re not hearing Archie or the staff yelling instructions at all during the games. I’ve never heard of this happening before. What a shame if this is true. Coaches need to stay quiet during the action. I’m going to Parler to see if anyone there saw something.
Stay quiet and clap. Lots and lots of clapping.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Well.. We do have a lot of freshman playing late minutes & many coaches have yelled instructions to players since basketball started but now you can hear it. What's the big deal? We won.. I will take any victory in this conference. We covered the spread..

You can hear yelling instructions all while we're trying running the offense. Almost as if he's trying to talk them through it? I hope I'm wrong.
Yes. That was him yelling. It was quite impressive on how clear several times you could hear him. Heard him say Trayce’s name multiple times.

LMAO! Go back and watch videos of Knight and his coaching staff. They did nothing but shout directions.
Hmmm. I dont share that recollection. RMK expected the players to know what to do on the floor. I recall him usually seated during play but watching very intently. During stoppages in play could certainly be a different deal.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Hmmm. I dont share that recollection. RMK expected the players to know what to do on the floor. I recall him usually seated during play but watching very intently. During stoppages in play could certainly be a different deal.
His staff was constantly talking the team through defense. Knight certainly didn't just sit there, seated. He was constantly walking around, directing the team and talking to players on the bench.

Go watch some video.

Reactions: minneman
His staff was constantly talking the team through defense. Knight certainly didn't just sit there, seated. He was constantly walking around, directing the team and talking to players on the bench.

Go watch some video.
Dont have to watch video. I've watched about 90% of IU's games since 1970. You go watch some "videos".

• Haha
It wasnt RMK's style to stand at courtside while the ball was in play and chirp to his players. Did he ever stand up and yell at somebody? Sure.

At least we aren’t holding up signs to tell players what to do. It would be an embarrassment to IU if we ever had to do that. Thank goodness we haven’t though.

It wasnt RMK's style to stand at courtside while the ball was in play and chirp to his players. Did he ever stand up and yell at somebody? Sure.
It wasn't 'chirping'. It's called coaching.

BK was extremely active on the sidelines. He was up quite a bit, and he never chirped. I often forget how many people here never actually saw him in action.

BK was extremely active on the sidelines. He was up quite a bit, and he never chirped. I often forget how many people here never actually saw him in action.
Jay Bilas made this observation of Knight in an ESPN article while he was at TT "Objectively, watch the way Knight conducts himself on the sidelines. He sits down most of the game. He coaches his team, and rarely gets into the officials, relative to his coaching bretheran. Only once has an official blown a whistle to give Knight a technical at Texas Tech, and that call was questionable."

Jay Bilas made this observation of Knight in an ESPN article while he was at TT "Objectively, watch the way Knight conducts himself on the sidelines. He sits down most of the game. He coaches his team, and rarely gets into the officials, relative to his coaching bretheran. Only once has an official blown a whistle to give Knight a technical at Texas Tech, and that call was questionable."
At TT. Certainly not the case at IU.

He wasn't the coach at TT that he was at IU.

All the astute memories people have at IU recall his bad temper and antics (God knows we saw them replayed enough) His demeanor was not different at IU. His emphasis on preparation had the players ready. They knew their jobs or they weren't gonna stay on the floor. When the ball was in play he observed. Look at the iconic coaches we have known over the years, the same with most of them. Was not his style to stand on the sideline and act like a lunatic traffic cop while the game was in play.

Maybe at Texas Tech, but definitely not at IU.

All the astute memories people have at IU recall his bad temper and antics (God knows we saw them replayed enough) His demeanor was not different at IU. His emphasis on preparation had the players ready. They knew their jobs or they weren't gonna stay on the floor. When the ball was in play he observed. Look at the iconic coaches we have known over the years, the same with most of them. Was not his style to stand on the sideline and act like a lunatic traffic cop while the game was in play.
For those of us who actually attended games then, we know your view wasn’t the reality of what really occurred.

For those of us who actually attended games then, we know your view wasn’t the reality of what really occurred.
I give up. I don't give in, but I give up. Clearly RMK stood on the sidelines like a lunatic traffic cop while the ball was in play. I actually saw hundreds of games going back to the 70's, many in person. Every home game his first couple of years, but alas you saw more clearly than I did. And clearly he did an about face in his style when he went from IU to TT. After all, RMK was never one to stay true to his values.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT