ADVERTISEMENT

So have you seen the Gillette ad

Oh you should see the responses. It’s ironic that the same people that call everything PC are offended by this.

I'm not offended, but I am turned off. I found it to be stupid and I'm not sorry for wanting to retain some level of masculinity.

I already switched to Harry's, so it has no impact on my purchasing.
Who is trying to take your masculinity?

Exactly. Whoever said bullying has anything to do with 1) masculinity or 2) the masculinity that turns women on? As far as I have discerned, men nowadays generally aren't nearly as masculine as women would like. Problem is, men's emotional cowardice contorts their masculinity into anything but.

Pretty unsettling response.
Gillette: Maybe we can make money marketing razors to people who aren't drunken stupid angry dude bros.

Drunken Stupid Angry Dude Bros: F#ck you, man! We're not shaving now, man! We'll show you, man!

Gillette will likely conclude that its money is with the drunken stupid angry dude bros. But what do I know?

Not take, but change and shame. Gillette, like Nike, can do what it wants in regards to social messaging or politicization of its advertising.

Let's see how it all pans out. I've always criticized companies for taking political and controversial stances.

Not take, but change and shame. Gillette, like Nike, can do what it wants in regards to social messaging or politicization of its advertising.

Let's see how it all pans out. I've always criticized companies for taking political and controversial stances.
When I first saw it I honestly didn’t see how anyone could think it was controversial. It’s basically don’t be a dik.....but in this day and age, I guess everything is.

Reactions: MaxCoke
When I first saw it I honestly didn’t see how anyone could think it was controversial. It’s basically don’t be a dik.....but in this day and age, I guess everything is.

Because people like you act like that is some sort of new phenomenon. Yes, there are lots of shitty people out there, particularly males.

The entire premise of the commercial insinuates that before, people didn't stand up to bullying, stop fights, teach men to be good people, etc. I mean the grilling stereotype quite hyperbolic.

A few kids wrestling isn't the worst thing on the world.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/parenting-the-german-way-let-the-children-fight-1514474042?mod=e2fb

Here’s what Matthew Dowd has to say. If you are offended by the new Gillette ad, you are part of the problem. Men, we can be better. A strong man does not bully, harass, demean. That is a weak man, and weak men are offended by Gillette ad.
Or as my Grandma used to say, if the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn’t apply to you, why would you be offended?

Because people like you act like that is some sort of new phenomenon. Yes, there are lots of shitty people out there, particularly males.

The entire premise of the commercial insinuates that before, people didn't stand up to bullying, stop fights, teach men to be good people, etc. I mean the grilling stereotype quite hyperbolic.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/parenting-the-german-way-let-the-children-fight-1514474042?mod=e2fb
Certain types of bullying is a new phenomena, but I don’t think that’s what this is addressing. I think this is more of a lid is coming off of certain kinds of behavior that has been going on forever, but is no longer acceptable and everyone should be called on it.

Certain types of bullying is a new phenomena, but I don’t think that’s what this is addressing. I think this is more of a lid is coming off of certain kinds of behavior that has been going on forever, but is no longer acceptable and everyone should be called on it.

Never met or seen a single male grab their secretary's ass. Not saying it doesn't happen but this isnt Mad Men. That's the shit that is unacceptable, but some kids on the ground wrestling and their dad grilling? Lol

Never met or seen a single male grab their secretary's ass. Not saying it doesn't happen but this isnt Mad Men. That's the shit that is unacceptable, but some kids on the ground wrestling and their dad grilling? Lol
Pretty sure Mad Men stuff still goes on some places, and worse than that. I think bullying and sexual harassment was the main focus.

Maybe that is what leads to a desire to conquer the world?

Gillette: Maybe we can make money marketing razors to people who aren't drunken stupid angry dude bros.

Drunken Stupid Angry Dude Bros: F#ck you, man! We're not shaving now, man! We'll show you, man!

Gillette will likely conclude that its money is with the drunken stupid angry dude bros. But what do I know?

The dollar shave club commercials are f***ing hilarious

It's a silly, goofy ad that will likely backfire on P&G. Think: New Coke!

I've used an electric shaver since high school so I don't have a dog in the fight. If I were to use razors I'd be influenced by the one the can advertise and prove its superiority.

Locals realized that P&G jumped the social justice warrior shark several years ago. The tales of the HR inquisitors are legion.

Given all the 1890's beards in MLB it seems like someone could bring back Bob Gibson and let him "shave" someone high and tight. "I can almost get that chin as well as X." But maybe that would be condemned as too violent and too-bullying. As Ricky Nelson would say, "You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."

Who needs to insinuate? Bullying has been and is still endemic. The right is blowing up about the Gillette ad precisely because they are pro-bullying. Nike went through this with the Colin Kapernick positioning. The right blew up but it has paid handsomely for them. Gillette has something similar in mind.

That may be, but didn't Nike's sales go through the roof after the Kap commercial everyone was sure would doom them?

Sales in NA grew 9% in its Q2. FY 2018 NA Revenue dropped for the first time in a long time (maybe ever?), so depending on how you want to frame it, either 1) Nike grew sales quickly off of a much lower base; 2) Nike turned around its NA performance through the Kap ad and other initiatives. Also, revenue only tells one story as discounting and sales/promotions can help boost revenue, at the expense of margin. NA Operating profit was down YOY by $4 million on higher revenue.

Let's see what impact it has, positive or negative, going forward.

Reactions: The Vid
Who needs to insinuate? Bullying has been and is still endemic. The right is blowing up about the Gillette ad precisely because they are pro-bullying. Nike went through this with the Colin Kapernick positioning. The right blew up but it has paid handsomely for them. Gillette has something similar in mind.

That remains to be seen after one quarter, see above.

That remains to be seen after one quarter, see above.
Increasingly brands have an incentive to track the polarization that is ever increasing in society. Given that most of the growth is going to come from persuading younger people to adopt your product which way would you suggest firms go?

Increasingly brands have an incentive to track the polarization that is ever increasing in society. Given that most of the growth is going to come from persuading younger people to adopt your product which way would you suggest firms go?

That seems like the right long-term strategy, although it remains to be seen how brands will perform as people age. In the near and medium-term, if you are focused on young people with limited disposable income, I'm not sure that is the best strategy for a publicly traded stock that sells at a premium price point.

But, what do I know?

Ad is very misandrist and racist.

When talking about toxic masculinity we get only white guy images. I guess gangs and murderous cartels are a bubnch if white guys.

I have not seen the ad and really don't care one way or the other about it, so take this comment as more of an overarching commentary.

I think you see some backlash because along with all of the do not harass and do not bully, some activities that are just boys being boys get wrapped up in things too. I have 4 boys who range in age from 3 to 10. I have 4 nieces who range in age from 3 to 19. I have 3 nephews who run from 1 year to 12. Boys and girls on the whole are just a little different. My guy friends and I razzed the hell out of each other when we were younger. Outsiders looking in would think we were saying awful stuff to each other but we knew what the joke was and we were cool with it. I see that type of thing getting thrown in as "toxic masculinity" too. From my experience, boys are more apt to want to turn things into a competition. You are out to prove yourself....more toxic masculinity.

I don't think anyone has any problem with telling guys not to sexually harass, bully, etc. but they do take umbrage to (mainly left wing females) telling them how to be a man. All do respect, screw right off with that. I think women would be offended if things they naturally do got wrapped up with negative behavior and all of it got labeled as "toxic femininity".

Our boys are falling behind. We make a continual push to make sure that academics were including girls too. That push has been ongoing for several decades and has been a success for them. That is great. On the other hand, I think we have left boys behind. I believe you see that with college degree and academic achievement numbers. And instead of allowing boys to learn how boys learn and play how they play, we have people telling them to suppress things they do that have nothing to do with being toxic.

Ad is very misandrist and racist.

When talking about toxic masculinity we get only white guy images. I guess gangs and murderous cartels are a bubnch if white guys.
Do you have gangs and murderous cartels in your neighborhood? I don't.

That is drawing cheers, criticism , and threatens of boycotts? https://www.apnews.com/752f3d102a8142d98106ceb22139200b
"I personally don't have a problem with the ad content, but I think it's an unsuccessful commercial. I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night and I know this ad is a poor marketing effort even though I've never really given this company a single thought before today. I simply can't support and won't buy from a company that launches unsuccessful marketing campaigns. I get very agitated by poor production values!!!"

I have not seen the ad and really don't care one way or the other about it, so take this comment as more of an overarching commentary.

I think you see some backlash because along with all of the do not harass and do not bully, some activities that are just boys being boys get wrapped up in things too. I have 4 boys who range in age from 3 to 10. I have 4 nieces who range in age from 3 to 19. I have 3 nephews who run from 1 year to 12. Boys and girls on the whole are just a little different. My guy friends and I razzed the hell out of each other when we were younger. Outsiders looking in would think we were saying awful stuff to each other but we knew what the joke was and we were cool with it. I see that type of thing getting thrown in as "toxic masculinity" too. From my experience, boys are more apt to want to turn things into a competition. You are out to prove yourself....more toxic masculinity.

I don't think anyone has any problem with telling guys not to sexually harass, bully, etc. but they do take umbrage to (mainly left wing females) telling them how to be a man. All do respect, screw right off with that. I think women would be offended if things they naturally do got wrapped up with negative behavior and all of it got labeled as "toxic femininity".

Our boys are falling behind. We make a continual push to make sure that academics were including girls too. That push has been ongoing for several decades and has been a success for them. That is great. On the other hand, I think we have left boys behind. I believe you see that with college degree and academic achievement numbers. And instead of allowing boys to learn how boys learn and play how they play, we have people telling them to suppress things they do that have nothing to do with being toxic.
On a theoretical level, it seems there's a prejudice against anger. The prevailing theory is that emotions just happen to us. When that's sadness or grief, it's manifested as tears and such. When it's apathy, it's lethargy. When it's anger, it's destruction, fighting, and so forth. Grief, fear, apathy and their manifestations are understood to be just how it is, out of our conscious control, they happen to us, whereas anger and its manifestations have to be controlled (as if they don't happen to us). There's a theoretical disconnect here. People tend to feel empathy for tears but not for anger, and so societal norms develop accordingly, evidently independent of the going theory about emotions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT