ADVERTISEMENT

So, Hart got passed over, again

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
Not even CO-OC/Running game coordinator (at least not yet).

Will he stay or will he go?

His title promotion was Associate Head Coach I believe. I presume he may want to be a coordinator, but he also may be okay trying to be the best RB coach and recruiter out there and getting a pay raise bump to keep him. He was a teammate of Sheridan I believe at Michigan, so it appears he is happy for his friend and not leaving. But last year he was apparently up for ND RB coach, so nothing would surprise me of people considering other offers.

But seemingly by most fan views of him, he is universally considered a great coach and recruiter and we want him to say...so pay the man Shirley!

His title promotion was Associate Head Coach I believe. I presume he may want to be a coordinator, but he also may be okay trying to be the best RB coach and recruiter out there and getting a pay raise bump to keep him. He was a teammate of Sheridan I believe at Michigan, so it appears he is happy for his friend and not leaving. But last year he was apparently up for ND RB coach, so nothing would surprise me of people considering other offers.

But seemingly by most fan views of him, he is universally considered a great coach and recruiter and we want him to say...so pay the man Shirley!

It could be that Hart also doesn't see himself as a coordinator and that trying to turn himself into one could be a career setback, and that his best path for career advancement is one that bypasses a coordinator position.

PJ Fleck was only ever WR coach before getting the WMU job. Ferentz has either been an OL coach or HC. Fitzgerald was only a LB coach.

Bypassing a Coordinator position certainly reduces options for HC jobs, but it is still a viable path forward

It could be that Hart also doesn't see himself as a coordinator and that trying to turn himself into one could be a career setback, and that his best path for career advancement is one that bypasses a coordinator position.

PJ Fleck was only ever WR coach before getting the WMU job. Ferentz has either been an OL coach or HC. Fitzgerald was only a LB coach.

Bypassing a Coordinator position certainly reduces options for HC jobs, but it is still a viable path forward
Good point. Very good point.

Interesting and viable points. He may not be as much of an Xs and Os guy like others, but knows the position and knows how to motivate and, perhaps most importantly, seems to be a very good recruiter.

I didn't know Fleck and Ferentz had never been coordinators. And Fitz bleeds purple, so I can see where he would have been picked.

Good post!

Interesting and viable points. He may not be as much of an Xs and Os guy like others, but knows the position and knows how to motivate and, perhaps most importantly, seems to be a very good recruiter.

I didn't know Fleck and Ferentz had never been coordinators. And Fitz bleeds purple, so I can see where he would have been picked.

Good post!
And Hart's good with Sheridan & his own promotion.

Good post!

Fleck and Ferentz spent some time in the NFL as position coaches, which probably helped and I could see that has part of Hart’s trajectory as well.

Reactions: DANC
Fleck and Ferentz spent some time in the NFL as position coaches, which probably helped and I could see that has part of Hart’s trajectory as well.
I was thinking NFL, too. He's going to have a lot of options, I'm sure.

Hopefully he really REALLY likes Bloormington.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Hart did get a title promotion and I surely a pay raise. I have no inside info, but from the outside looking in; if he recruits and develops our stable of RBs I would make his pay raise significant

Reactions: red hornet
Hart did get a title promotion and I surely a pay raise. I have no inside info, but from the outside looking in; if he recruits and develops our stable of RBs I would make his pay raise significant
We have a lot of $$$ available! I expect Sheridan, Heard & Hart to get really nice pay raises! Plus we will hire 1 or more analysts.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
Sheridan was being groomed to be an OC, Hart really wasn't. This move isn't the slap in the face to Hart that a lot of people seem to think it is. Sheridan was heavily involved in play calling, the overall offensive scheming & game planning. Hart was involved primarily with RB's. I STRONGLY suspect that coach Hart would tell you the same basic thing, & that he has no problem with Sheridan being named OC.

Last edited:
I’d rather him be OC than Sheridan.
If you read the interview with Deboer, & watch CTA's press conference announcing Sheridan's appointment as OC, I suspect you'll feel much better about this situation...I certainly do. Sheridan has been preparing to be an OC his entire adult life(moreso than I realized)& was heavily involved with the offense last season, including scheming & play calling(MUCH moreso than I realized...).

Sheridan was being groomed to be an OC, Hart really wasn't. This move isn't the slap in the face to Hart that a lot of people seem to think it is. Sheridan was heavily involved in play calling, the overall offensive scheming & game planning. Hart was involved primarily with RB's. I STRONGLY suspect that coach Hart would tell you the same basic thing, & that he has no problem with Sheridan being named OC.
I don’t question the hire of Sheridan over Hart. I believe he was brought with the thought that he would possibly be the offensive coordinator here. Tom Allen brought Deboard an experienced play caller who has been at all levels and actually called and won a National championship and who Tom Allen knew and trusted. He convinced Tom Allen to bring Sheridan and Mike Hart on board. I believe Allen was just ready to over the reigns to Sheridan last year so he brought in an up and comer in Kalen Deboer hoping to give Sheridan a little more seasoning and I believe DeBoer gave Allen his blessing . That is just my belief. I would still love to see them an analyst with experience as a play caller to continue to oversee and continue to assist Sheridan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT