ADVERTISEMENT

So do only bowl eligible teams get to continue practice?

VCHoosier

Freshman
Mar 30, 2011
Is it like basketball where everyone gets to keep practicing until the NC game or do Purdue, Nebraska etc. Get shut down for the season?

Purdue's done. Nebraska is very likely to go bowling at 5-7 because there won't be enough 6 win teams to fill all of the slots, and NEB's got the best 4-year APR of all 5-7 teams (which is supposedly the first qualifier). So they get to continue practicing.

Reactions: Harrell
Yes. They can't practice unless Bowl eligible. That is a huge benefit. Extra practices for young players.

Another built in recruitment tool for traditional bowl teams. Football is much less forgiving than Basketball in that regard. Success breeds success. Never more so than in college football and it's rules for practice. You suck, no bowl, no practice, no free advertisement recruitment wise from a Nationally televised bowl game. This is how PU must feel today. It is great for IU football to be successful and going to a bowl and talking about potential future recruits to keep up the upward momentum. Since football the the most watched sport nationally, not in Indiana, it raises IU's stature nationally.

Reactions: Sassy61
Another built in recruitment tool for traditional bowl teams. Football is much less forgiving than Basketball in that regard. Success breeds success. Never more so than in college football and it's rules for practice. You suck, no bowl, no practice, no free advertisement recruitment wise from a Nationally televised bowl game. This is how PU must feel today. It is great for IU football to be successful and going to a bowl and talking about potential future recruits to keep up the upward momentum. Since football the the most watched sport nationally, not in Indiana, it raises IU's stature nationally.
You cannot overestimate the recruiting advantage gained or lost when prospects and their parents are on campus and part of their visit involves bowl practice (or not, for those schools whose seasons are complete). It's a stark contrast for kids, with one scenario communicating success while the other does not. Hope IU can take advantage.

Last edited:
Participation trophies for everyone!

I think that all teams should go bowling. Give us 64 bowl games!
I'd like to see some unique ones, like a Tundra Bowl played in Anchorage.

When do we get the "Canadian Bacon" bowl played in Toronto?

This could be a yearly event with many traveling opportunities.

Is it like basketball where everyone gets to keep practicing until the NC game or do Purdue, Nebraska etc. Get shut down for the season?
They can't practice until bowl eligible (6 wins), however, if any 5-7 teams get a bowl, then they can start after being chosen. So the 6 wins and above teams, get an extra week if they so chose too, but most spend it rehabbing and some film review of their previous game. Not sure much true practice time will happen before the bowl selection show next Sunday. It's a long season and with finals week approaching, kids are spent!

The rich get richer.....
I'm not sure how much benefit there would be for teams that are not bowl eligible. None of your graduating seniors or non-returning players would be with you. Any players who are injured have to heal or have those injuries repaired asap. Also, what motivation do your players have to really invest when it's 10 months before the next season starts.

I suppose the rich do get richer but practicing is marginally beneficial when there is nothing to prepare for. If you talk to college basketball coaches they will tell you that there is little benefit to team practice after their team is eliminated from the tournament (or doesn't qualify).

I don't know if there are restrictions on individual workouts, non-practice team activities, or film study for non-bowl teams. If so, that should change so those teams can improve and become more competitive. If not, those things are probably more beneficial than actual practice.

As was pointed out earlier in the thread the real benefits of the extended season for bowl teams are more meaningful practices and the buzz the bowl creates with recruits.

I'm not sure how much benefit there would be for teams that are not bowl eligible. None of your graduating seniors or non-returning players would be with you. Any players who are injured have to heal or have those injuries repaired asap. Also, what motivation do your players have to really invest when it's 10 months before the next season starts.

I suppose the rich do get richer but practicing is marginally beneficial when there is nothing to prepare for. If you talk to college basketball coaches they will tell you that there is little benefit to team practice after their team is eliminated from the tournament (or doesn't qualify).

I don't know if there are restrictions on individual workouts, non-practice team activities, or film study for non-bowl teams. If so, that should change so those teams can improve and become more competitive. If not, those things are probably more beneficial than actual practice.

As was pointed out earlier in the thread the real benefits of the extended season for bowl teams are more meaningful practices and the buzz the bowl creates with recruits.
Most teams use the extra practices as a way to get the younger returning kids work anyway. The two deep guys get to heal up and the younger guys tend to practice more, at least until the game plan is installed and they start preparing for their opponent. Before that, it's like a mini spring practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT