ADVERTISEMENT

So Crail and Walker are leaving...who's the third?

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
I forget who referenced three recognizable names leaving.....but we know two of them now. Any word on the third?

Will we have any field players returning besides Richardson? Maybe Houston? I guess Ashley.....answering my own questions here I guess.

THAT'S A CHUNK OF TURNOVER!

Right now the field players you mentioned are still part of the team plus Barr and Dunham. We also have the grad transfer first baseman coming in. So if these remain we have a six field players that have many starts returning. I always hate to see guys leave but hopefully we don't lose much else.

Right now the field players you mentioned are still part of the team plus Barr and Dunham. We also have the grad transfer first baseman coming in. So if these remain we have a six field players that have many starts returning. I always hate to see guys leave but hopefully we don't lose much else.

I thought Dunham signed??

I forget who referenced three recognizable names leaving.....but we know two of them now. Any word on the third?

Will we have any field players returning besides Richardson? Maybe Houston? I guess Ashley.....answering my own questions here I guess.

THAT'S A CHUNK OF TURNOVER!

Walker & Crail were 2/3 I heard. I haven't seen the third name confirmed yet.

My source also told me about Dunkelberger and Carter Bridge, who are also leaving.

Of the 4 confirmed departures, I know of one landing spot so far--Walker to Purdue. Unless he's a grad transfer, he'll have to sit one year, right(?). It is possible for a JR to be a grad transfer.....

Of the other 3, Dunkelberger was said to have upside when he was recruited. Not sure what happened there.

Other news---Tyler Cerney, a 6'1" 155 SS from Center Grove, a 2022 recruit (will be a HS Soph this Fall), has verbally committed to IU. He's ranked as #2 in the 2022 Indiana class, and a top 100 player nationally. A while back we also got a verbal from 2022 catcher AJ Shepherd, 6'0" 175 lbs, from VA. He's a good prospect, but not as highly rated as Cerney.

Turnover is probably what this staff wants as they get to build their roster for the future. Some of it is players personal decisions to leave, and some is of the staff communication to the player of where they stand now and in the future of the program.

The turnover is inevitable when coaching changes occur, even after the first year. And as I said, its probably something this current staff doesn’t mind. the graduate players and juco market are best right now to get a player for a year or two, which we are seeing.

The only real gaps to fill are at first base and catcher, and I believe those needs have been addressed. The weekend rotation is wide open, but they have some pretty good arms to pick from, will be interesting to see that competition unfold in the fall.

Reactions: mk23
Turnover is probably what this staff wants as they get to build their roster for the future. Some of it is players personal decisions to leave, and some is of the staff communication to the player of where they stand now and in the future of the program.

The turnover is inevitable when coaching changes occur, even after the first year. And as I said, its probably something this current staff doesn’t mind. the graduate players and juco market are best right now to get a player for a year or two, which we are seeing.

The only real gaps to fill are at first base and catcher, and I believe those needs have been addressed. The weekend rotation is wide open, but they have some pretty good arms to pick from, will be interesting to see that competition unfold in the fall.
Who is most likely the starting catcher?

Who is most likely the starting catcher?
That will be decided in the fall. That’s a battle spot for playing time, but I’d say since they signed a juco catcher (Combs?) and a HS catcher (Voth) in this class they will have guys who have to compete for that job. Could possibly be a by committee approach to see who gels with the pitching staff, can control the defense and the run game, and can play well with the bat.

ADVERTISEMENT