ADVERTISEMENT

So a transfer means a roster spot and maybe an extra scholarship?

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
Cool if so. Shedding some self-respect speculating on an unsubstantiated rumor but some more frontcourt size sure wouldn't hurt...

WANTED: Athletic male 6'9"+ power-everything enforcer with serious Court skillz, wicked hops and minimum 3.0 GPA. Must play well with others. References required. One-year all expense paid contract with option to renew.

How hard can it be? Right.

Not to take anything away from resigning the 2017 Class, but this seems CAM's first real chance to – you get the idea.

Cool if so. Shedding some self-respect speculating on an unsubstantiated rumor but some more frontcourt size sure wouldn't hurt...
To late to get a quality player and Miller have said he usually doesn't use all 13 scholarships. I say save it for the 2018 class and fill it with quality players. Maybe if there were a good 5th year transfer but not a marginal freshmen.

But we don't have Crean so I could see Archie not filling that last spot...hard telling tho
Or use it on someone solid to help balance the classes? Is the point from MN still available? Maybe a grad transfer magically appears.

Yea, a grad transfer big would be ideal. We're really thin up front with Davis being our only post player. Then consider he's had a penchant for fouling a bit too much, and that makes it a huge concern.

First real chance for The (new) STAFF to work some magic - suspect there is a whole lot of remote "beating the bushes" (no puns please) going on in the depths of AH.

So smart guy name the names of all the great players out there that has not signed. Guys like you is why I don't come on this site like I use to.

Isn't there an admonition about being seen but not heard that applies to you? No? This one does not pretend to know about uncommitted HS grads in this country, let alone overseas, potential JUCO transfers, graduates with eligibility left, or a whole host of options in Europe, Africa, Australia, S. America and Asia - just not my job. But it is somebody's, and if you don't think that CAM and his staff are all over "what if" scenarios re: an open roster spot with the needs their Team has on the frontline this far out before the Season begins, well, then you don't. I'm of another mind on the matter.

"Guys" like me? OK, cool, sounds like a badge of honor. Is there anything I can do to get you to leave altogether? Can you take Lucy with you? :D

Peace.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Isn't there an admonition about being seen but not heard that applies to you? No? This one does not pretend to know about uncommitted HS grads in this country, let alone overseas, potential JUCO transfers, graduates with eligibility left, or a whole host of options in Europe, Africa, Australia, S. America and Asia - just not my job. But it is somebody's, and if you don't think that CAM and his staff are all over "what if" scenarios re: an open roster spot with the needs their Team has on the frontline this far out before the Season begins, well, then you don't. I'm of another mind on the matter.

"Guys" like me? OK, cool, sounds like a badge of honor. Is there anything I can do to get you to leave altogether? Can you take Lucy with you? :D

Peace.
Looks to me you have trouble with a lot of posters so maybe you should look at yourself instead of blaming others.

Reactions: Lucy01
Looks to me you have trouble with a lot of posters so maybe you should look at yourself instead of blaming others.

Oh but I do - career narcissist. You knew all along didn't you? You coy thing you. But just for the record, don't recall "blaming" you or anyone else per se.

Can't fight with you buddy - just no honor in it.

Long life.

To late to get a quality player and Miller have said he usually doesn't use all 13 scholarships. I say save it for the 2018 class and fill it with quality players. Maybe if there were a good 5th year transfer but not a marginal freshmen.

I would say there are still a couple options out there...

Dwight Coleby just left Kansas last week. Would be a nice get.

Scott Wolf would be a nice get..

_Jt8Qh.gif

teen-wolf-dunking-o.gif

Well there are only 347 D1 teams - so thats about 2 per team avg...

pay no mind that the number you're working with includes transfers due to coaching changes and low-D1 kids transferring to the NAIA schools.

It happens everywhere but happened here more. lol. how many kids made it to senior night at IU under Crean?

pay no mind that the number you're working with includes transfers due to coaching changes and low-D1 kids transferring to the NAIA schools.

It happens everywhere but happened here more. lol. how many kids made it to senior night at IU under Crean?
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball

Happens EVERYWHERE...do you follow when guys equivalent to Jonny Marlin, Peter Jurkin, even a Luke Fischer, transfering from schools like Tennesse, Oregon, Boston College...no because who gives 2 shits. You think our old coach did more because you followed the players and program.

Sulieman from Duke to Maryland and Wiltjer to Gonzaga from UK are the only D1 transfers that I can recall outside of IU program that I probably noticed.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball

Happens EVERYWHERE...do you follow when guys equivalent to Jonny Marlin, Peter Jurkin, even a Luke Fischer, transfering from schools like Tennesse, Oregon, Boston College...no because who gives 2 shits. You think our old coach did more because you followed the players and program.

Sulieman from Duke to Maryland and Wiltjer to Gonzaga from UK are the only D1 transfers that I can recall outside of IU program that I probably noticed.

exactly, more than half go to D2 schools or NAIA/ juco. that pool of kids skews the numbers and proves nothing.

to make your point you should find out how many power conference kids transfer to other PC schools or at least mid-major programs on up.

since 2009 IU has graduated FOUR seniors; hartman, priller, johnson, newkirk, and mcswain will make that NINE but i'd wager crean would have maybe creaned hartman and maybe priller had he kept the gig. also keep in mind that newkirk and mcswain came in with only two years left.

ya, i get that we tend to magnify what happens at IU. lol. and a lot of folks probably would have ignored it had we been winning. but we weren't.

the martyrdom of st. tommy of basketball is now complete. blessed be his name. lol

Well there are only 347 D1 teams - so thats about 2 per team avg...
That's assuming EVERY team has transfers. They don't.

IU under Crean? From when he was hired in 2008 to his dismissal he brought in 45 recruits (Ron Patterson was denied admission). Here they are :

Devan Dumes – exhausted eligibility (2 yrs)

Tijan Jobe - exhausted eligibility (2 yrs)

Verdell Jones – exhausted eligibility

Tom Pritchard – exhausted eligibility

Matt Roth – denied 4th year of eligiblity

Malik Story - Transfer (Nevada)

Nick Williams - Transfer (Ole Miss)

Bobby Capobianco - Transfer (Valparaiso)

Maurice Creek - Transfer (George Washington)

Derek Elston – exhausted eligibility

Jordan Hulls – exhausted eligibility

Bawa Muniru - Transfer (Lee University)

Christian Watford – exhausted eligibility

Victor Olidipo – Left for NBA draft 2013

Will Sheehey – exhausted eligibility

Remy Abell - Transfer (Xavier)

Austin Etherington - Transfer (Butler)

Cody Zeller – Left for NBA draft 2013

Yogi Ferrell – exhausted eligibility

Ron Patterson – denied admission

Jeremy Hollowell - Transfer (Georgia St)

Hanner Mosquera-Perea – Dismissed (toked himself off team)/Transfer (East Tennessee State)

Peter Jurkin- Transfer (East Tennessee State)

Noah Vonleh – Left for NBA draft 2014

Troy Williams – Left for NBA draft 2016

Luke Fischer - Transfer (Marquette)

Stanford Robinson - Transfer (Rhode Island)

Devin Davis – Dismissed (toked himself off team)/Transfer (Odessa College)

Collin Hartman – current 5th year senior

Robert Johnson – current senior

Max Hoetzel - Transfer (San Diego St)

James Blackmon, Jr. – Left for NBA draft 2017

Jeremiah April - Transfer (Trinity Valley CC)

Tim Priller – current senior

Emmitt Holt – Dismissed (drank himself off team)/Transfer (Indian Hills CC)

Nick Zeisloft – exhausted eligibility (grad transfer from Illinois St)

Juwan Morgan – current junior

OG Anunoby – Left for NBA draft 2017

Thomas Bryant – Left for NBA draft 2017

Max Bielfeldt – exhausted eligibility (grad transfer from Michigan)

Josh Newkirk – current senior

Grant Gelon – current sophomore

Curtis Jones – current sophomore

De'Ron Davis – current sophomore

Devonte Green – current sophomore

Freddie McSwain – current senior

Out of 45 recruits seventeen (17) transferred or were denied eligibility - 37.7% of all recruits. Please tell us the program who comes close to those numbers during the Crean era at IU.

IU under Crean? From when he was hired in 2008 to his dismissal he brought in 45 recruits (Ron Patterson was denied admission). Here they are :

Devan Dumes – exhausted eligibility (2 yrs)

Tijan Jobe - exhausted eligibility (2 yrs)

Verdell Jones – exhausted eligibility

Tom Pritchard – exhausted eligibility

Matt Roth – denied 4th year of eligiblity

Malik Story - Transfer (Nevada)

Nick Williams - Transfer (Ole Miss)

Bobby Capobianco - Transfer (Valparaiso)

Maurice Creek - Transfer (George Washington)

Derek Elston – exhausted eligibility

Jordan Hulls – exhausted eligibility

Bawa Muniru - Transfer (Lee University)

Christian Watford – exhausted eligibility

Victor Olidipo – Left for NBA draft 2013

Will Sheehey – exhausted eligibility

Remy Abell - Transfer (Xavier)

Austin Etherington - Transfer (Butler)

Cody Zeller – Left for NBA draft 2013

Yogi Ferrell – exhausted eligibility

Ron Patterson – denied admission

Jeremy Hollowell - Transfer (Georgia St)

Hanner Mosquera-Perea – Dismissed (toked himself off team)/Transfer (East Tennessee State)

Peter Jurkin- Transfer (East Tennessee State)

Noah Vonleh – Left for NBA draft 2014

Troy Williams – Left for NBA draft 2016

Luke Fischer - Transfer (Marquette)

Stanford Robinson - Transfer (Rhode Island)

Devin Davis – Dismissed (toked himself off team)/Transfer (Odessa College)

Collin Hartman – current 5th year senior

Robert Johnson – current senior

Max Hoetzel - Transfer (San Diego St)

James Blackmon, Jr. – Left for NBA draft 2017

Jeremiah April - Transfer (Trinity Valley CC)

Tim Priller – current senior

Emmitt Holt – Dismissed (drank himself off team)/Transfer (Indian Hills CC)

Nick Zeisloft – exhausted eligibility (grad transfer from Illinois St)

Juwan Morgan – current junior

OG Anunoby – Left for NBA draft 2017

Thomas Bryant – Left for NBA draft 2017

Max Bielfeldt – exhausted eligibility (grad transfer from Michigan)

Josh Newkirk – current senior

Grant Gelon – current sophomore

Curtis Jones – current sophomore

De'Ron Davis – current sophomore

Devonte Green – current sophomore

Freddie McSwain – current senior

Out of 45 recruits seventeen (17) transferred or were denied eligibility - 37.7% of all recruits. Please tell us the program who comes close to those numbers during the Crean era at IU.
All 5 players of the Ohio State recruiting class of 2015 are gone. None of them made it to their junior seasons. Matta is trying to catch up with Crean. Matta's success on the court is also starting to drop to Crean levels.

Reactions: hondo314 and Lucy01
All 5 players of the Ohio State recruiting class of 2015 are gone. None of them made it to their junior seasons. Matta is trying to catch up with Crean. Matta's success on the court is also starting to drop to Crean levels.
Thad's health has been his/the program's biggest issue the last couple years. They're not trending well.

But 37.7 % of all players? Thad has a long ways to go to catch Crean.

IU under Crean? From when he was hired in 2008 to his dismissal he brought in 45 recruits...Out of 45 recruits seventeen (17) transferred or were denied eligibility - 37.7% of all recruits. Please tell us the program who comes close to those numbers during the Crean era at IU.

Take your point (and remain somewhat in awe of your appetite for and dedication to hoops research) but it's too simplistic. As you note, 3 of the 17 dismissed themselves for bad behavior - you can that put on TC if you're so inclined because he recruited them but good luck doing better in the same spot. Some of those transfers were most assuredly in the Players best interests, a reflection of their own wishes rather than TC's, and/or involved extenuating circumstances to which we are not privy. It sucked that guys like MoCreek and Matt Roth didn't get to finish their eligibility at IU but even there I believe IU honored the deal w.r.t. the original offers (four years). But to imply that the rest of these guys were simply summarily dismissed by CTC without regard for anything but a mercenary no-prisoners approach to winning is lame. Possible but not buying it.

No question that it was TC's merry-go-round and he was the architect of an inordinate level of flux, but, it's over, he's gone and try as some might he was a far cry from the antichristic figure some make him out to be, or the worst coach or thing that ever happened to IU hoops. The Program was close to a dumpster fire when he took over and though he recreated something good enough to claim a #1 ranking and back-to-back outright B10 titles he/it wasn't good enough. Not for IU.

Am for one glad that offers from IU face the prospect of being something singular and exalted rather than dime-a-dozen, that the annual oversign drama may be a thing of the past, and that IU's defense and TO rate are likely in the ascendant. But as for CTC, he's gone – past time to bury the body so to speak and for some move beyond imagining that all IU's ills were of his making. IU hasn't hasn't a GREAT basketball coach since a few years before Knight left, and from my hopeful perspective, CAM represents the end of one lengthy era and the beginning of another. Or so I imagine.

Bash away if you must but I am done talking about CTC for I can speak no ill of the dead. I might make an exception for Andrew Jackson.

Take your point (and remain somewhat in awe of your appetite for and dedication to hoops research) but it's too simplistic. As you note, 3 of the 17 dismissed themselves for bad behavior - you can that put on TC if you're so inclined because he recruited them but good luck doing better in the same spot. Some of those transfers were most assuredly in the Players best interests, a reflection of their own wishes rather than TC's, and/or involved extenuating circumstances to which we are not privy. It sucked that guys like MoCreek and Matt Roth didn't get to finish their eligibility at IU but even there I believe IU honored the deal w.r.t. the original offers (four years). But to imply that the rest of these guys were simply summarily dismissed by CTC without regard for anything but a mercenary no-prisoners approach to winning is lame. Possible but not buying it.

No question that it was TC's merry-go-round and he was the architect of an inordinate level of flux, but, it's over, he's gone and try as some might he was a far cry from the antichristic figure some make him out to be, or the worst coach or thing that ever happened to IU hoops. The Program was close to a dumpster fire when he took over and though he recreated something good enough to claim a #1 ranking and back-to-back outright B10 titles he/it wasn't good enough. Not for IU.

Am for one glad that offers from IU face the prospect of being something singular and exalted rather than dime-a-dozen, that the annual oversign drama may be a thing of the past, and that IU's defense and TO rate are likely in the ascendant. But as for CTC, he's gone – past time to bury the body so to speak and for some move beyond imagining that all IU's ills were of his making. IU hasn't hasn't a GREAT basketball coach since a few years before Knight left, and from my hopeful perspective, CAM represents the end of one lengthy era and the beginning of another. Or so I imagine.

Bash away if you must but I am done talking about CTC for I can speak no ill of the dead. I might make an exception for Andrew Jackson.

creaning took on a broader meaning at IU under Crean. no, we'll never know why all those kids left. i'd imagine it was for all the usual reasons but, man, it happened a lot. no one implied he was asking all these kids to leave so he could sign a gang of kids every year but many rightfully blamed him for creating a culture that turned over a ton of kids that allowed him to sign a gang of kids every year. oh, and the over signings. yucky stuff.

ya, the prosecution and defense will overstate their cases. i don't blame you for walking away. there is no glory in convicting or vindicating dead dudes. lol. we just enjoy it sometimes.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava

I didn't bring it up - cryano did:

And our ignorant fanbase termed it 'Creaning'...

And I understand Crean might not have "run off" all 17. But there were PLENTY of issues: the over-signings annually; Roth kicked to the curb; promises made to Patterson (ask his AAU coach what he thinks of Crean).

Again, 37.7%. Numbers don't lie. Transfers are a problem in NCAA Basketball. For IU under Crean, they were an epidemic.

And I understand Crean might not have "run off" all 17. But there were PLENTY of issues: the over-signings annually; Roth kicked to the curb; promises made to Patterson (ask his AAU coach what he thinks of Crean).

Again, 37.7%. Numbers don't lie. Transfers are a problem in NCAA Basketball. For IU under Crean, they were an epidemic.

cognitive bias is swinging both ways today. funny how that works.

You didn't list all the FWO that also moved on..

not that you need to, but just wanted to point it out ...

Marlin, Fuchs, Neigo, Calomeris, Bayt... I know there's more.

It's almost every fwo we've had ends up quitting or moving on.

He was just an odd coach. Seriously...odd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT