ADVERTISEMENT

Snowling "SPECIAL" Report: Looking at the Transfer Portal

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

How many and Who? That is the Question...

Here's a few interesting names:

DEFENSE

((He says he wants to play DT))

/////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

OFFENSE

***((I'd offer Milton as a TE/Emergency QB [because his NFL future is at TE, in my opinion...]...))

Last edited:
CTA said two spots. DL, OL Safety, best athlete.

Well..., I thought I heard 3... We have at least 3 in the Portal (and I thought there was a 4th but I must have been confused about that), so I figure we have at least 3 spots to work with...

He specifically mentioned DL, Safety, and Quarterback, so..., my personal list would be: Bimage (DE/OLB from TX); Moore (S from Houston); and Milton (at TE/emergency QB [QB from MI]...).

If we did end up taking a 4th it'd be a flip of a coin (on my list)
between another Safety in Hampton (S from LSU), Bush (WR from GA), or Bailey (RB from BC)...

Last edited:
Last edited:
If I had a vote (which I don't & won't), I'd go after these guys:

Moore - Safety from Houston

Bimage - DE from Texas

McDougle - NG from WaSt/W Va

Milton - TE / emergency QB from MI

Bailey - RB from BC

Reactions: vesuvius13
Thorpe from Penn $tate is an interesting case... A starter on the OL who has previously played well as a DT and wants to move back to DT... Pick him up and you get a DT who doubles as an emergency offensive lineman...

Here's an interesting guy that I missed originally seeing in the Portal...

He still has 3 years left, would fill an immediate rotational role and might even be able to work into a starter in 2022 if he moved from T to G ...

He is most likely is headed somewhere he thinks he can start immediately so we probably won't see him but here he is anyway:

Last edited:
ESPN reported Milton to Tennessee. That was kind of a pipe dream though to try and land a transfer for a guy who clearly wants to be a starter by asking him to be 3rd on the depth chart (at best) at either TE or QB.

• Sad
Reactions: 76-1
ESPN reported Milton to Tennessee. That was kind of a pipe dream though to try and land a transfer for a guy who clearly wants to be a starter by asking him to be 3rd on the depth chart (at best) at either TE or QB.

Just trying to help him realize his dream of playing in the League... 😉 He won't get there as a QB (in my opinion)...

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Just trying to help him realize his dream of playing in the League... 😉 He won't get there as a QB (in my opinion)...
Oh, I didn't mean to seem like I was breaking balls on that at all.

I just meant I couldn't see him cracking the IU depth chart at either position.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
DT just went into portal IU s Fr Lewis
This one is a real head scratcher, IMHO.

Sio, Person, Whitner, Elliott, McCabe, & and a few walk-ons. That's not like a majorly packed DT position room considering how much they subbed across the DL the last couple years.

Best wishes to Lewis to get where he needs to be to reach his goals, this just isn't an easy one to figure.

Silver lining, maybe he's hearing that Curry is making a bee line to B-town & wanted to get out before getting crowded out by a stud coming in. 😁

This one is a real head scratcher, IMHO.

Sio, Person, Whitner, Elliott, McCabe, & and a few walk-ons. That's not like a majorly packed DT position room considering how much they subbed across the DL the last couple years.

Best wishes to Lewis to get where he needs to be to reach his goals, this just isn't an easy one to figure.

Silver lining, maybe he's hearing that Curry is making a bee line to B-town & wanted to get out before getting crowded out by a stud coming in. 😁

Well... we never got to see him play so we won't know what we lost until he gets on the field elsewhere...

There is always the slim possibility of a return for all of these guys until they actually sign with another school... So I guess we'll see...

I won't get too panicky until we actually lose someone from the two deep...

Hate to ever lose a promising DT though...

It's disappointing from the outside. But I have to wonder if it's really that disappointing from the inside? Gotta believe CTA had at least one serious talk with these guys and knows exactly how they fit (or didn't fit) the scheme once he saw them practice multiple times. And I have full faith he's watching the portal for upgrades.

Reactions: 76-1
Update:

We've had 9 guys go into the Portal 🙈
(to date 4/21/21) and only had 3 come to us via the Portal so by my math that gives us 6 slots to fill... 🏈

Here's where we are:

As has been already noted, Milton from MI is off the board so the backup QB position is something that's on the table but looks unlikely at the moment...

Picking someone up at the WR position may now be a consideration, along with perhaps a TE due to the lose of depth at those positions...

With the late finishing Spring Practices wrapping up around the country there may be a fresh infusion of talent about to enter the Portal... Can't wait to see who's available... Too bad we don't get compensatory draft picks for anyone we lose with a .8400 ranking or better
😉

Here's those available in the Portal as of today 4/21/21 :

Last edited:
Here's a rough look at our Offensive roster thru just "prior" to the start of Spring Practice:

Gives a better idea of which Offensive positions might be reinforced via the Portal...

I'm thinking T/G, G/C, RB, WR, TE, backup QB are all positions being at least looked at closely..., with the OL slots and maybe one or two others (coin flip) being picked up on Offense...

Last edited:
Reactions: ESalum86
If I had a vote (which I don't & won't), I'd go after these guys:

Moore - Safety from Houston

Bimage - DE from Texas

McDougle - NG from WaSt/W Va

Milton - TE / emergency QB from MI

Bailey - RB from BC

With Lewis & Passmore gone, isn't NG/DT the #1 priority?

Last edited:
With Lewis & Passmore gone, isn't NG?DT the #1 priority?

I still think TA is looking for a Safety first, but I had typed that before I heard about Lewis leaving...

I'd imagine that DT/NG is extremely high on the list now...

I'd still list Bimage DE and Moore S as my personal top 2...

There should be more talent available (in the Portal) in the next 3 weeks... we're actually sitting in a pretty good position in some respects... Where it gets tricky is who qualifies as both an academic and a LEO cultural fit... That will be a major limiting factor...

I'm thinking with 6 slots to fill we'd look for a S ; a DE; a DT/NG ; a NG/DT on Defense ..., and a T/G ; a G/C ; and/or a coin flip at WR , RB , or a backup QB (this one doesn't seem very likely because any QB currently in the Portal is looking for a starting position not a backup one...)... on Offense...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT