ADVERTISEMENT

Smokin' ? 🚬

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Hey all, figured I would check in. I haven't been following super close like I used to but I have watched most of the first two games. At the end of the day it's the games that matter and most of the chatter ends up being noise.

Coach Cig has definitely grown on me. I guess a 77-3 win will do that lol, but seriously, my initial impression of him was that he is kind of a jerk tbh. But from the in-game interviews I've seen he seeks like kind of a cool dude. Maybe I misjudged? More importantly, watching this 24 offense you immediately see that touch of class that is closer to DeBoer than say DeBord or Sheridan. (BTW I almost fell out off my chair when I saw Sheridan is the OC at BAMA. I had no idea...I defended Sheridan more than most but he landed Alabama???)

To be fair western illinoi is really bad. I would have probably predicted like 55-6 for the score. As always I caution against being too reactionary but definitely some positive signs. From what I gather the offense is detail-oriented and is predicated on efficiency and getting the ball out fast, which I'm always a fan of. Rourke is accurate and has hit on several deep balls that were absolute dimes. So you have dink-and-dunk with the ability to create some calculated explosive plays. Throw in some TE utilization and DH is a happy camper. Why every OC in the history of the world hasn't incorporated TEs into their schemes is beyond me but I digress... Zero INTs through two games is great to see. Take care of the pig skin!

But then you have balance too with a nice looking run game. 278.5 rush yards per game is obviously skewed at this point but if they can keep it north of 150 per game defenses have to respect that. Which opens up opportunities through the air. I think like 11 different Hoosiers toted the rock last night - I don't ever remember seeing that many ball-carriers. Again it's western illinoi but some of the down field / second level blocking by the o-line last night...chef's kiss. That was one of the issues during the CTA era, ineffective blocking at the 2nd level.

I've noticed some physicality too. That hit where I think it was a safety cleanly pounded the WIU receiver where it was going to be a catch but he jarred it loose before possession was established... Then Ellison on the first rushing TD, he took the contact to the WIU defender 3 yards into the end zone, love to see that mentality.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and break down the defense. Obviously I can see the stats (which again are suuuper skewed at this point but still quite enjoyable to look at):

5.0 ppg
32.5 rushing yds / g
119.0 passings yds / g
151.5 total yds / g (vs IU's 557.5 ypg 🤯😂)

Aiden Fisher looks like a beast. Tackling has been good. Heck I don't even know what scheme they run...looks like a base 4-3? I'm assuming he mixes in other looks?

Next up: UCLA at the Rose Bowl? Yes please!!

Last edited:
IUFB showed against UCLA that they don't look past anyone. I had a saying when I coached at Wayne HS -play everyone like champions and if they are crush them. It was a way to get them to take every opponent seriously.

Reactions: CC Mac and 76-1
CCC is a rough around the edges, no-nonsense guy. He has an ego but seems like he can back it up and knows what he is doing. Obviously a lot of coaches and players liked how CCC handles the team well enough to follow him from JMU.

Lot of games are starting to look more winnable than we had previously expected. Michigan was blown out by Texas, Washington lost to WSU. Take a pic of big ten standings (we are on top)

Charlotte - W (4-0)
Maryland - Toss Up (5-0)
Northwestern - W (6-0)
Nebraska - Toss Up (6-1)
Washington - Toss Up (7-1)
Michigan State - Toss Up (7-2)
Michigan - L (7-3)
Ohio State - L (7-4)
Purdue - W (8-4)

If you split the toss ups, then 8-4 is looking like a reasonable guess now and Michigan may move into being a toss up. Should definitely be enough to get a great recruiting / portal class to keep the ball rolling

Reactions: jughaid
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT