ADVERTISEMENT

Smoked meatloaf and twice baked tators tonight.

Why in hell would anyone smoke a meatloaf?

Unless its some kind of pot, like a blend of sativa and kush that is mellow, yet satisfying, I'm missing the point.

Its already a conglomeration of ingredients - why would it get better with smoking? Its largely ground beef, no? WTF am I missing?

Blend? Okay noob ..

it's a cross, not a blend. A blend would be taking two strains and mixing them, a cross is taking two strains and breeding them. So get it right. Say it with me. "Cross" ...

Tonight I'm smoking a Magic Mango x Bubblegum, the "X" means it's been crossed. I still deny the existence of real Bubblegum, and this doesn't have the signature bazooka flavor or sugar coating but that's what the label said..

BTW - it's fantastic. It tastes of mango and smells of citrus. A little sweeter than most Mangos. A little too narcotic for my normal taste, but great for a Friday where I'm not doing anything but educating a beer phag on Cannabis terminology. vbg

And I agree with you, why would anyone smoke a meatloaf? You'd have to be stoned or something..

Ask Phishy - its nOOb....

but, regardless - purely for educational purposes....If you take a bit this, and a bit of that, and do a proportional pinch in a bowl, do you not get characteristics of both when you smoke it?

Or, does it take an actual "cross" of their genetics to marry their individual traits?

Maybe ... sometimes ....

generally one of the traits overpower the other. It's never sold mixed like tobacco is. When people are talking about the characteristics, it's basically parentage and breeding.

Okay, here we go, I love this shit not only because it's smoke, but because it's botany, and there's a couple really famous strains in here. I could break these down in detail including history but I'll save you the boredom and make it quick

Example:
1 - Magic Mango = Somango X AK-47.

2. Somango = Big Skunk Korean x Jack Herer

2. AK-47 = Columbian, Vietnamese, and Mexican Sativa x Afghani Indica (strain history is shaky, probably an accident)

3. Big Skunk Korean = is a cross between two unknown hybrids. Most likely new world and Vietnamese sativas and old world Afghani indica, much like the AK. Many of these are the building blocks of most American Smoke.

3 Jack Herer is Northern Lights 5 x Shiva Skunk x Original Haze crossing,

4. Original Haze was a Vietnamese Sativa base,

4. Northern Lights, used those same building blocks as AK. Northern Lights though was bred for colder climates. It's the ratios that make the differences.

4. Shiva Skunk was a Skunk F-1 x Northern Lights cross.

5. Skunk F-1 (is what happens when growers replicate and breed the byproduct of a bunch of stoners in 1960 and 70's Cali throwing their Mexican, Vietnamese, Afghani, and South American seeds on the ground. Letting Mama Nature take over for a few decades and saving the best of the best and refining it.

The formulas (what ratios, which parent) are closely guarded secrets.

Big Pharma...

is lurking over your collective shoulder....and not liking the "local farmer"

What's the process involved in crossing the strains?

Basically ..

letting a male bust it's nuts on a ripe female. Most big professional outfits (seed producers) have a clean room, or even building, sometimes in a different location, where they grow and keep males. Most of the newer breeders are full out botanists. fwiw - I learned much of this by watching a doc series called Strain Hunters and going to and reading their site. The two guys that made the show are old school dutch master growers. It's like that coffee show that used to be on for a minute.

American breeders designed a strain that tastes just like thin mints girl scout cookies. Not, "reminds one of", or "reminiscent" or "a hint". It smells and tastes just like Thin Mints. We're are all about the flavor, taste, and appearance with a huge emphasis on potency. The Euros are more about the tailored buzz and aren't as infatuated with potency. Asians are the extremists. Makes sense doesn't it?

Strange things can happen. Someone mixed a Floral strain with a Purp berry strain and an OG Kush IIRC , hoping to get a good mix of fruit berry and citrus flavor. They instead bred something that smells of stale ham and tastes like bacon. Bacon Primer Kush. fwiw - It's disgusting.

This post was edited on 12/27 12:48 AM by T.M.P.

What about oil?

Sorry for busting you with these nOOb questions, but I'm honestly curious.

If you took a bit of oil from one strain and simply mixed it with another? Would the buzz be different? I'm guessing oil tastes like oil?

Or?

My sis and BIL are in CO right now.

They said they were going to get some edibles and (knowing their relative inexperience) I cautioned them to take it easy/go slow.

I think I scared them.

Raichlen's Rule.

If something is good fried, roasted, or sautéed it's probably going to be even better grilled. Add a little hickory, oak or fruit wood to the coals and it will be even better. Meatloaf on the grill, 1 lb ground beef (85/15) or so, 1 lb ground pork, a handful of panko bread crumbs, some sautéed onion, garlic and roasted red peppers, with kosher salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Oh, and cover with bacon, and add ketchup, bbq sauce, with brown sugar and whatever else for the last 25 minutes or so to caramelize it.

The oil tastes just like the smoke ..

if it's made correctly. Has the same terpines, which is the chemcial that causes the smell and taste.

Not all strains make an actual oil some comes out a powder, some wax, some oil.

Stuff is too strong, I don't like smoking it. Great for edibles and medicine though.

This post was edited on 12/27 12:05 PM by T.M.P.

Not the real stuff ..

I've seen so much bubblegum but nothing like what I saw in the early 90s. Which tasted like double bubble and had a sugar coating. It's faux bubblegum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT