ADVERTISEMENT

"Skinny repeal" being floated

Just came in as they were finishing it. Still don't understand why he would vote in favor.
I didn't think he was even sticking around for a full day of debate, but you can't judge someone's intentions on the final bill based on his vote on an amendment. Maybe he liked the Cruz amendment. Or maybe he didn't like it, but thought it was better than the original. He might have said he doesn't like the current bill, but he also made it clear he's in favor of doing something, so it would make sense for him to support amendments if he thinks they move the bill in the right direction.

I didn't think he was even sticking around for a full day of debate, but you can't judge someone's intentions on the final bill based on his vote on an amendment. Maybe he liked the Cruz amendment. Or maybe he didn't like it, but thought it was better than the original. He might have said he doesn't like the current bill, but he also made it clear he's in favor of doing something, so it would make sense for him to support amendments if he thinks they move the bill in the right direction.

It's beyond obvious McCain is voting yes. The rest is just excuse making.

No, it's not. He might end up voting yes, he might not, but nothing is obvious.

He completely contradicted himself with today's vote. It was the height of hypocrisy. Don't kid yourself. If it's a razor thin situation like today, he won't buck the party. 100% yes vote. If they have multiple defections, only then he is out. Some maverick!

To be fair, I don't think anyone can be certain that his mental faculties are fully functioning.

Reactions: sglowrider
He completely contradicted himself with today's vote. It was the height of hypocrisy. Don't kid yourself. If it's a razor thin situation like today, he won't buck the party. 100% yes vote. If they have multiple defections, only then he is out. Some maverick!

To be fair, I don't think anyone can be certain that his mental faculties are fully functioning.
No, he didn't. He said very explicitly that he wants the Senate to take up the issue, and then he voted to open debate. That's consistent. His vote for the Cruz amendment doesn't touch directly on any of his comments, because it's not a vote for final passage. You're being silly here.

No, he didn't. He said very explicitly that he wants the Senate to take up the issue, and then he voted to open debate. That's consistent. His vote for the Cruz amendment doesn't touch directly on any of his comments, because it's not a vote for final passage. You're being silly here.

He was quivering that the bill must work through the committees and the normal legislative process. This vote did 100% the exact opposite. It was a total contradiction.

Interesting that Graham broke away from McCain, Lee away from Cruz. The rest are conscience or survival based.

What gives?

Last edited:

Interesting that Graham broke away from McCain.

just had a funny thought. The dems could vote yes on the worst of these amendments and allow this shit bill to go through. Acquiesce and "compromise"... Lay this goose egg at the feet of the GOP and we probably end up with single payer in 4 years. Of course, people like Mark may suffer in the meantime :(

just had a funny thought. The dems could vote yes on the worst of these amendments and allow this shit bill to go through. Acquiesce and "compromise"... Lay this goose egg at the feet of the GOP and we probably end up with single payer in 4 years. Of course, people like Mark may suffer in the meantime :(
I've been thinking the same. I honestly think half the GOP is hoping it won't pass. No one will remember the vote if it doesn't eventually pass. Everyone will remember who voted for a horrible healthcare bill that harms many of Trump's supporters. Also, these Trump cult group that still support him, might finally get it if they lose their healthcare or have to pay much much more for it.

Seth Davis, who knows a bit about politics, is taking McCain to the woodshed for this vote too.

Too vindictive.

Millions to suffer, just to have a 'win'? Then they are no different to the GOP.

Reactions: Bill4411
short term sacrifice for single payer, but yea.

Think most ACA users are trump voters though ;)
;):rolleyes:

Besides you know how this conman will spin it and blame it on others. Thats his genius.

Its a social experiment that indicates that in every population there is a minimum base level of cultist or those susceptible to it in every society -- and their need to find an identity or belonging in a relatively young melting polt society like the US.

Last edited:
;):rolleyes:

Besides you know how this conman will spin it and blame it on others. Thats his genius.

Its a social experiment that indicates that in every population there is a minimum base level of cultist or those susceptible to it in every society -- and their need to find an identity or belonging in a relatively young melting polt society like the US.

There's a really simple equation for that. n=population of those who believe in organized religion.

There's a really simple equation for that. n=population of those who believe in organized religion.

I dont think its exclusively, people who belong to organised religion, though my cousin's husband is like that. In Singapore, we have a one-party state -- but the powers of the political party is starting to slip away into the realms of organised religions with the super-churches.
People just need an identity and would follow blindly.

I dont think its exclusively, people who belong to organised religion, though my cousin's husband is like that. In Singapore, we have a one-party state -- but the powers of the political party is starting to slip away into the realms of organised religions with the super-churches.
People just need an identity and would follow blindly.
The word "cult" is used in a lot of different contexts. You're talking about personality cults, which are related to, but not coterminous with, deviant religious cults, which themselves overlap, but are not coterminous with, organized religions.

The word "cult" is used in a lot of different contexts. You're talking about personality cults, which are related to, but not coterminous with, deviant religious cults, which themselves overlap, but are not coterminous with, organized religions.

Well, most organisations start small before they get big and organised. Christianity was a considered 'cult' before it got big, popular and organised.

Well, most organisations start small before they get big and organised. Christianity was a considered 'cult' before it got big, popular and organised.
Very true. Christianity started as a personality cult, and then became what we would consider a deviant cult (I'd prefer "non-normative" cult), and then became an established religion. There's always overlap, but the word is used in multiple contexts, with different meanings. For example, in Christianity, Jesus is still the object of a cult (or the cult, really), but within Christianity, there are also other cults, such as cults that focus on particular saints, often using non-normative (and not always accepted) variations on cultic practice (such as Santa Muerte), and then there are within the entire rubrik, individual personality cults (e.g., Jim Jones). They all exist and overlap on a contimuum, but at their hearts are types of the same basic thing.

Very true. Christianity started as a personality cult, and then became what we would consider a deviant cult (I'd prefer "non-normative" cult), and then became an established religion. There's always overlap, but the word is used in multiple contexts, with different meanings. For example, in Christianity, Jesus is still the object of a cult (or the cult, really), but within Christianity, there are also other cults, such as cults that focus on particular saints, often using non-normative (and not always accepted) variations on cultic practice (such as Santa Muerte), and then there are within the entire rubrik, individual personality cults (e.g., Jim Jones). They all exist and overlap on a contimuum, but at their hearts are types of the same basic thing.

As Toasted said, organised religions.... in a country that prides itself on individuality, this is the constant contradiction that exist.

If John McCain were uninsured, his surgery could have cost $76,000

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/17/15983944/mccain-uninsured-surgery-cost-76000

Why can the citizens get the same care as their representatives?
Every citizen can. All comes down to priorities. Some of you act like you can't have health insurance no matter what you do. Just plain juvenile. Don't like your situation in life only you can change it. Sitting around on an internet forum crying with a few that support your views will never get you anywhere. Misery loves company. Lots of ways to have very good health insurance.

Every citizen can. All comes down to priorities. Some of you act like you can't have health insurance no matter what you do. Just plain juvenile. Don't like your situation in life only you can change it. Sitting around on an internet forum crying with a few that support your views will never get you anywhere. Misery loves company. Lots of ways to have very good health insurance.

And name all the ways that don't involve lots of money? I have insurance through work, but there are A LOT of people working jobs for $8, $10, $12 an hour that do not get insurance through their jobs. Now, tell me all the ways they can afford insurance for themselves and a spouse.

And name all the ways that don't involve lots of money? I have insurance through work, but there are A LOT of people working jobs for $8, $10, $12 an hour that do not get insurance through their jobs. Now, tell me all the ways they can afford insurance for themselves and a spouse.
They should move to Lake Wobegon.

It appears the "skinny" bill is possibly their only path forward. The always popular "kick the can" style of governing.

I'd love to hear how to do this without paying exorbitant prices.

It appears the "skinny" bill is possibly their only path forward. The always popular "kick the can" style of governing.
Doesn't alter the structure or benefits of the ACA other than further undermining the financial supports.

So, they not only don't repeal the ACA, they guarantee it will be even more expensive to buy insurance on the individual market. I sure hope the Dems are able to get this point across to the voters next year.

Doesn't alter the structure or benefits of the ACA other than further undermining the financial supports.

So, they not only don't repeal the ACA, they guarantee it will be even more expensive to buy insurance on the individual market. I sure hope the Dems are able to get this point across to the voters next year.

Hmm, the "pro business" party is completely destabilizing the insurance market. All over nothing more than ego and ideology.

@toastedbread @zeke4ahs

I was too quick last night to defend McCain. The vote last night was a procedural vote to waive the 60-vote requirement for aspects of Cruz's plan, which is essentially a proxy for how a Senator would vote on passage. He also voted twice today against sending the bill to committee. Despite his rhetoric, he's clearly just falling in line with McConnell.

@toastedbread @zeke4ahs

I was too quick last night to defend McCain. The vote last night was a procedural vote to waive the 60-vote requirement for aspects of Cruz's plan, which is essentially a proxy for how a Senator would vote on passage. He also voted twice today against sending the bill to committee. Despite his rhetoric, he's clearly just falling in line with McConnell.

Thats why when the MSM happily highlight their comments against the behaviour of Trump etc, I cringe. People like Graham and McCain inevitably fall lock stock with McConnell.

Reactions: toastedbread
Seriously, doesn't McCain's vote and McCain's statement seem strange? Voting to continue on bypassing regular order than railing against bypassing regular order? It's like railing against McDonalds while wolfing down a couple Big Macs.

Well, the GOP does nothing but push itself as the Jesus Party while going exactly opposite of what the Bible teaches all the time.

That's pretty ironic considering Trump's ENTIRE campaign was, "You're all victims and only I, the Great Trump, can save you!! The Mexicans, Muslims, blacks, gays and Chinese have ruined your lives. Elect me and I'll make your lives great again!!!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT