ADVERTISEMENT

"Skinny repeal" being floated

Would repeal the individual mandate and requirements for businesses to offer coverage.

Would cost increase uninsured by 15M and increase premiums 20%

Because Freedom!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...020e4b0e201d57895eb?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
It has to be done to save the "victims" of Obamacare that Trump had standing behind him last night. I presume they were destitute multi-millionaires? And I could have sworn one of them was Paul Ryan or his twin.

It has to be done to save the "victims" of Obamacare that Trump had standing behind him last night. I presume they were destitute multi-millionaires? And I could have sworn one of them was Paul Ryan or his twin.

When one looks at the map, there is no way the Democrats can take back the Senate in 2018. The GOP is now actively working to make sure that happens. At this point, I wish them well. May they succeed in making sure 20 million or so fewer Americans have insurance. May they succeed in making sure all healthy people leave insurance so only those with issues are left and insurance goes up dramatically for them. Good luck on that, it is the most winning plan I've heard since Charlie Sheen was winning. The "sucks to be you" party will see how that motto works in 2018. Maybe I am wrong, maybe the 1% getting tax cuts will out vote everyone else. We will see.

Reactions: Bill4411
Maybe I am wrong, maybe the 1% getting tax cuts will out vote everyone else. We will see.
Why do you think the GOP is trying so hard to limit the hours and locations for voting? The working poor don't have as much flexibility when it comes to getting to the polls.

NB: At the restaurant, I had a policy of never scheduling anyone a double shift on election day, and on the rare chance someone was forced to work a double, I always gave them at least a two-hour break in the afternoon.

The GOP got their wealth care bill to advance. I'm serious, may Rand Paul and Ted Cruz win every debate. Let's make sure no one in the country has any assistance whatsoever for health care. Let's blow it all up and see what happens. Besides, it only costs $12/year.

The GOP got their wealth care bill to advance. I'm serious, may Rand Paul and Ted Cruz win every debate. Let's make sure no one in the country has any assistance whatsoever for health care. Let's blow it all up and see what happens. Besides, it only costs $12/year.
I see McCain is still the orange ones bootlicking lackey even after being called a loser for being a POW. He can take advantage of free healthcare, but no one else deserves much of a chance. He is a clown and I have my doubts he has brain cancer as I don't see any evidence of a brain in there.

I see McCain is still the orange ones bootlicking lackey even after being called a loser for being a POW. He can take advantage of free healthcare, but no one else deserves much of a chance. He is a clown and I have my doubts he has brain cancer as I don't see any evidence of a brain in there.
They voted 51-50 to open debate. Nothing they end up with will get the 50 votes needed to pass (or 60, obviously). Everyone calm down.

Reactions: RBB89
They voted 51-50 to open debate. Nothing they end up with will get the 50 votes needed to pass (or 60, obviously). Everyone calm down.

I think you are correct, that little will get 50, I am skeptical that nothing comes of this though. They may not get to cut enough to create their wealth care bill. But it is going to be tough for a Heller to back off now that he's voted yes. 50 votes isn't impossible for a watered down bill.

But further it is the point that the social darwin wing will get their time in the sun to tout their desire to see a modern day Sparta. And of course the social darwin voters will reward them for touting the idea that we need more people with conditions dying from them. And no, I am not speaking of all Republicans by any means. But the social darwin wing is loud, and growing, and comfortable in their gerrymandered districts.

Just a couple weeks ago there were rumors that McCain and Graham were having talks with the Democrats to try and move a bipartisan bill. This vote tends to indicate to me that McCain is not on team bipartisan. He didn't fly back to DC to start the ball rolling, and fly back to Arizona because his health depends on it, to be part of some bipartisan solution. So that leaves Graham, who frankly hasn't proven to be much of a heavyweight.

Not that it matters, no bipartisan effort can survive the House as long as the House has their child molester rule in place.

It seems likely to me that Cruz and Paul win from this, Collins and Murkowski lose. That isn't good for bipartisanship.

I think you are correct, that little will get 50, I am skeptical that nothing comes of this though. They may not get to cut enough to create their wealth care bill. But it is going to be tough for a Heller to back off now that he's voted yes. 50 votes isn't impossible for a watered down bill.

But further it is the point that the social darwin wing will get their time in the sun to tout their desire to see a modern day Sparta. And of course the social darwin voters will reward them for touting the idea that we need more people with conditions dying from them. And no, I am not speaking of all Republicans by any means. But the social darwin wing is loud, and growing, and comfortable in their gerrymandered districts.

Just a couple weeks ago there were rumors that McCain and Graham were having talks with the Democrats to try and move a bipartisan bill. This vote tends to indicate to me that McCain is not on team bipartisan. He didn't fly back to DC to start the ball rolling, and fly back to Arizona because his health depends on it, to be part of some bipartisan solution. So that leaves Graham, who frankly hasn't proven to be much of a heavyweight.

Not that it matters, no bipartisan effort can survive the House as long as the House has their child molester rule in place.

It seems likely to me that Cruz and Paul win from this, Collins and Murkowski lose. That isn't good for bipartisanship.

I'd suggest you listen to McCain's speech from the floor today

It was an amazing speech. My concern is that this just separates him even further from the Trumpsters, that have been wishing him dead. I'd be more than happy if they actually follow his demands and work together, but I'm skeptical.

CNN posted some excerpts, but he isn't going to be there. I don't blame him, he needs to take care of his health. I get that, I'm not critical of that. But he's the crusty old maverick, the one guy that might have the voice to bash heads together to force some grand bargain. And he won't be in DC. So, who in the GOP remains that can do that? I see plenty of people who have the voice to say "ultra conservative way or the highway" (Cruz, Paul being two). Who is McCain's replacement on the maverick side?

Anything that moves this closer to actually being enacted is cause for concern. These people are capable of anything.

That is a good point, there is only one guaranteed way for this not to pass and that is for it to fail. We know Trump pressured Nevada and West Virginia into voting yes. We don't know how he might be able to exert pressure on another senator or two.

Anything that moves this closer to actually being enacted is cause for concern. These people are capable of anything.
Agreed. And especially with McCain being gone. I have very little faith that any meaningful changes would happen. In the meantime, Trump and McConell keep arm twisting the hold outs.

That is a good point, there is only one guaranteed way for this not to pass and that is for it to fail. We know Trump pressured Nevada and West Virginia into voting yes. We don't know how he might be able to exert pressure on another senator or two.
Beat me by a minute.

If Rand Paul and Susan Collins vote for the same HC bill, I'll eat my shoe.

Keeping it classy, I see
Good Lord calm down.
Agreed. And especially with McCain being gone. I have very little faith that any meaningful changes would happen. In the meantime, Trump and McConell keep arm twisting the hold outs.

With enough arm twisting McConnell can get anything through. Threat of a primary opponent. McCain claimed he wanted this in the committees... If that's the case, his vote today makes 0 sense. None.

And someone please answer me this... Why are our elected representatives entitled to health coverage that their own constituents are not entitled to?

If Rand Paul and Susan Collins vote for the same HC bill, I'll eat my shoe.

You may be right. But if they get to 49 votes and only need either Murkowski or Collins, the pressure on them will be utterly tremendous. Maybe they are strong enough to go down in GOP annals as the Senator that stuck us with Obamacare forever. That is certainly possible. But I'm not sure I'd bet my life on that one, or even the eating of a shoe. A lot of principled elected officials have given in to pressure over the years. Who knows if there is an airport or bridge that she might want. Who knows if McConnell may tell her he thinks drilling for natural gas in Acadia is a good idea unless she plays ball. Everyone has a breaking point, and if they get to 49 I'll even start distrusting Donnelly and Manchin.

With enough arm twisting McConnell can get anything through. Threat of a primary opponent. McCain claimed he wanted this in the committees... If that's the case, his vote today makes 0 sense. None.

And someone please answer me this... Why are our elected representatives entitled to health coverage that their own constituents are not entitled to?

Elected officials use the same ACA exchange for their health insurance as other DC citizens that don't get group insurance from their jobs.

You may be right. But if they get to 49 votes and only need either Murkowski or Collins, the pressure on them will be utterly tremendous. Maybe they are strong enough to go down in GOP annals as the Senator that stuck us with Obamacare forever. That is certainly possible. But I'm not sure I'd bet my life on that one, or even the eating of a shoe. A lot of principled elected officials have given in to pressure over the years. Who knows if there is an airport or bridge that she might want. Who knows if McConnell may tell her he thinks drilling for natural gas in Acadia is a good idea unless she plays ball. Everyone has a breaking point, and if they get to 49 I'll even start distrusting Donnelly and Manchin.

Let me put this another way.....I don't think there are 25 Senators that would vote for a bill that Paul will vote for.

Let me put this another way.....I don't think there are 25 Senators that would vote for a bill that Paul will vote for.

Then what was all the arm twisting for? Heller is up in 2018, voting yes here when nothing comes of it doesn't seem like a great way to win reelection.

Let's recall the House bill was dead and buried with no vote, then came to life and passed. The Senate bill was DOA a week ago, given almost no chance to win the procedural vote with 52 solid no votes. It now has passed the procedural vote. I'm starting to wonder if we can count on the coroner who keeps saying Dracula is dead.

Reactions: toastedbread
Then what was all the arm twisting for? Heller is up in 2018, voting yes here when nothing comes of it doesn't seem like a great way to win reelection.

Let's recall the House bill was dead and buried with no vote, then came to life and passed. The Senate bill was DOA a week ago, given almost no chance to win the procedural vote with 52 solid no votes. It now has passed the procedural vote. I'm starting to wonder if we can count on the coroner who keeps saying Dracula is dead.

this is exactly right. Though they have a narrower margin in the senate. I think the final vote will reflect what we saw today. Paul will vote Yes. McCain and Heller are yes. If they didn't like any of the current proposals they would not have voted yes today. There is already a back door agreement in place imo.

They're closer, but a long way from agreeing on a bill (and then conferencing with the House). All that would still need to pass muster with the Parliamentarian, or the Republicans nuke that and we get single-payer health care through reconciliation down the road when the Dems have control.

If McConnell's supah final amendment fails, I believe it's done and they need 60 votes.

Last edited:

Just because no one wants to be the one to have killed it dead.

Paul will be a hard no. Collins is a definite hard no, as she gears up for a Gov run. Another 10 or so will defect if at all possible. This will be the tiniest needle to possibly ever thread. I do not think McConnel can get there.....that's why now they are talking about this "skinny" bill.

Paul will be a hard no. Collins is a definite hard no, as she gears up for a Gov run. Another 10 or so will defect if at all possible. This will be the tiniest needle to possibly ever thread. I do not think McConnel can get there.....that's why now they are talking about this "skinny" bill.
If McCain is gone, that's as good as a no vote. It's not a yes.

Just because no one wants to be the one to have killed it dead.

You are probably right, I can't deny that. But again, this bill has been declared dead twice and yet it lives. Why would McCain fly back from Arizona, cast a vote to allow progress on a bill that he will then go out and blast demanding a return to regular order. He had just voted specifically to bypass regular order. Was he serious, or was he trying to sound like the cranky old maverick while doing exactly what his overlords want? There are forces at play here, money, promises, threats, whatever, that keeps breath in this thing.

Seriously, doesn't McCain's vote and McCain's statement seem strange? Voting to continue on bypassing regular order than railing against bypassing regular order? It's like railing against McDonalds while wolfing down a couple Big Macs.

[QUOTE="toastedbread, post: 2185946, member: 7080"

And someone please answer me this... Why are our elected representatives entitled to health coverage that their own constituents are not entitled to?[/QUOTE]

Great question! Can Obama and the Dems who passed ACA step up and answer the question?

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
Great question! Can Obama and the Dems who passed ACA step up and answer the question?
Hmmm... the ACA actually did go a long way toward making sure their constituents had health care available. And as has been previously noted, the Dems agreed to the Repub amendment to be covered themselves (along with their staffs) under the ACA exchanges.

Hmmm... the ACA actually did go a long way toward making sure their constituents had health care available. And as has been previously noted, the Dems agreed to the Repub amendment to be covered themselves (along with their staffs) under the ACA exchanges.

When the ACA is overturned, members of Congress will have their cake, while people like Mark are screwed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT