ADVERTISEMENT

Since the game is Friday

I just don't see how things will be different a mere 6 days later.
We don't (and won't) know the gravity of the situation beyond whether games get played or not.

For example, they could have had 15 positive tests last Wednesday but were able to get everyone separated/quarantined and kept testing to find out that the outbreak was limited to, say, 25 people. After 4 more days of testing it doesn't get any higher and they could feel comfortable that they've got their outbreak under control enough to get back out there. If that's the case, though, the question becomes "Which 25?"

But like I said, we'll never know how "bad" it was from a pure numbers standpoint.

Of all things 2020 though, our worst case scenario is missing another game but having a full squad ready for a game no lower than the Outback or Citrus Bowls. I've had lonelier New Years in the past.

No matter the outcome,I hate to see the bucket game not played.
Wonder if it could be pushed back to Saturday if that would help?

I'd be for pushing it all the way to noon on Christmas Eve ((that would be Thursday 12/24/20)) if it gets the game played with legitimate lineups (as in populated by guys who've been in the 3 deep and have seen significant playing time in the last 4 games)...

That would still give us 5 or 6 days to prep for our Bowl game...

Or..., we could fall back on my original proposal and play it in place of each schools 2021 Spring Game with a waiver from the Big Ten... That particular scenario is very highly unlikely to occur but, in my opinion, it's a viable option...

Last edited:
No matter the outcome,I hate to see the bucket not played.
Wonder if it could be pushed back to Saturday if that would help?
Just end the entire season. With COVID raging and vaccines just now coming available it is foolhardy and irresponsible to expose students to the risks of getting infected.
Probably the wise thing to do,the conference leadership really messed this up.
They made a knee jerk decision to cancel the season then gave in to the Ohio St pressure to play.Further proof who is really calling the shots.

Just end the entire season. With COVID raging and vaccines just now coming available it is foolhardy and irresponsible to expose students to the risks of getting infected.

Once the universities brought the students on campus (in nearly every case for no good reason but the money) that horse was out of the barn and galloping around the country...

The third wave of this scourge will be triggered by Christmas family gatherings with the modern Typhoid Mary (s) being college students at home for the holidays...

Hopefully the vaccine will mitigate much of the carnage but with only 11 days left to get the most vulnerable vaccinated, in my opinion, things will most likely get really ugly in early January death numbers-wise...

I hope the FDA enjoyed their Thanksgiving holiday four day weekend... Those extra four days could have made a real difference in getting people vaccinated prior to Christmas...

The point of my rant..., that I just took the long route getting to..., is that at this point, the smartest safest (( and yes, saddest)) thing a college football player can do for his family is stay away from them this Christmas...

Sorry..., this probably belongs over on the Watercooler...

Last edited:
Based on everything I'm reading, if the Bucket game is cancelled, we're a virtual lock for the Fiesta unless Northwestern upsets OSU. If we play Purdue and win, we're obviously in good shape unless, again, NW wins. If we lose to Purdue and OSU wins, we're likely in the Outback or Citrus. If we lose to Purdue and NW wins, we may slide down to the Music City.

Bottom line - - no game for IU this weekend is probably not a bad thing.

I don't give the game a high likelihood of happening.

You know damned well Purdue doesn't want to play and lord only knows what the roster would look like. We all want the I on the chain but I am doubtful.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The initial decision to cancel was correct and should not have been revisited.

I have been on the side of taking COVID seriously, that wearing masks is important, and this is not something that should be disregarded. I also would have preferred that this remain a scientific issue and not a political issue.

With that being said, how can you say that the original decision was correct and shouldn't have been revisited? Most BIG schools played a nearly complete conference schedule. The athletes were tested every day before attending practice. There were worries about post-COVID myocarditis last summer. Those problems have not manifested with any football player. (unsure what the issue was with the Florida basketball player on Saturday).

Was there spread of virus amongst some teams including IU? YES, but the spread didnt happen on the field. It may have happened in meetings, while travelling, when studying, or when going out on weekends. But across the country. there has been no report of a football player with any serious complication from COVID.

Furthermore, the guidelines to return to participation have actually become less strict in recent months by the CDC and cardiologists. This suggests that COVID risks to young athletes are very minimal.

I have been on the side of taking COVID seriously, that wearing masks is important, and this is not something that should be disregarded. I also would have preferred that this remain a scientific issue and not a political issue.

With that being said, how can you say that the original decision was correct and shouldn't have been revisited? Most BIG schools played a nearly complete conference schedule. The athletes were tested every day before attending practice. There were worries about post-COVID myocarditis last summer. Those problems have not manifested with any football player. (unsure what the issue was with the Florida basketball player on Saturday).

Was there spread of virus amongst some teams including IU? YES, but the spread didnt happen on the field. It may have happened in meetings, while travelling, when studying, or when going out on weekends. But across the country. there has been no report of a football player with any serious complication from COVID.

Furthermore, the guidelines to return to participation have actually become less strict in recent months by the CDC and cardiologists. This suggests that COVID risks to young athletes are very minimal.

The athletes and by extension surrounding students/staff/family were safer in the relative confines of the program and process.

The athletes and by extension surrounding students/staff/family were safer in the relative confines of the program and process.
Obviously this wasn’t true. COVID is out of control. Who knows the long term effects on healthy people? It was stupid to open colleges before vaccines were available. It’s not as if no one knew they were coming. Smdh. How many people died bc of the decisions made by holier than thou university admins/educators to allow thousands and thousands of stupid young people to gather in close proximity and then send them home to infect millions more?

Last edited:

If true, then it would have made 1000% more sense to allow only athletes on campus and to bar all other students from campus, and making everyone do classes remotely.

as it is the athletes are getting sick from exposure to students on campus and in the local communities.

....... and spreading it to vulnerable people all over the nation, resulting in the current covid explosion and the surge in covid DEATHS.

Self important university administrators have a lot of blame for this.... they’ve caused thousands of deaths and THEY KNOW IT. All while knowing that vaccines were on the way. I hope they get sued into the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
If true, then it would have made 1000% more sense to allow only athletes on campus and to bar all other students from campus, and making everyone do classes remotely.

as it is the athletes are getting sick from exposure to students on campus and in the local communities.

....... and spreading it to vulnerable people all over the nation, resulting in the current covid explosion and the surge in covid DEATHS.

Self important university administrators have a lot of blame for this.... they’ve caused thousands of deaths and THEY KNOW IT. All while knowing that vaccines were on the way. I hope they get sued into the ground.

I definitely agree with you on your last paragraph...

The reason I felt I could justify watching Big Ten football this fall was that once those students where on campus it didn't really seem to matter whether football was played or not... We were already screwed...

Given the efforts made by the teams to avoid an outbreak I figured that being on a Big Ten football team might just be the 2nd safest place to be in the country (outside of your own home)
It should be instructive to everyone how infectious COVID19 is given that's it's hurdled even the best efforts of the Big Ten teams to avoid it...

Fortunately..., no one (that I'm aware of) has died from it who was associated with a college football team (Big Ten or otherwise). I really thought college football might lose a coach or two but those who were affected seem to have weathered it...

At this point, I don't think whether we play or not matters in the greater scheme of things... Once the college presidents got those young people together on campus and then sent them home 3 months later, the damage was done (in my opinion)...

Reactions: BayernFan
Just end the entire season. With COVID raging and vaccines just now coming available it is foolhardy and irresponsible to expose students and their families to the risks of getting infected.

If we do that, might as well carry that through to basketball if we are concerned about the virus. Playing in what amounts to an indoor germ collection dish in the middle of winter surely cannot be safer at this point?

Reactions: BayernFan
Personally,I see no way they make it through a basketball season.
I've thought the same thing. With the number of games played + small rosters, I don't see how a LOT of teams don't miss a LOT of games to the point that it becomes much more than an exhibition season.

My physician sister and niece tell me it is as contagious as chicken pox maybe more so.
Unlike the flu, it has a higher propensity to damage organs other than the lungs.... the heart for example. Kidneys too. It attacks the whole body. Its after effects are really not known.

Just makes sense to shut it all down as vaccines are coming online.... then allow only vaccinated people to resume on site education.
This huge surge can be laid on schools reopening this fall.

Reactions: CC Mac
My town just lost a police officer to Covid. No underlying health conditions. Former football player. Still built like a tank. He was in hospital, then ICU. Kidneys shut down. It’s a small town and came almost two years to the day from losing another of our officers in a LOD death. We just don’t know a lot about this virus.

My physician sister and niece tell me it is as contagious as chicken pox maybe more so.
Unlike the flu, it has a higher propensity to damage organs other than the lungs.... the heart for example. Kidneys too. It attacks the whole body. Its after effects are really not known.

The recent outbreak at IU - and most likely any recent outbreak among athletes at any school - likely did not come from contact with other students. IU and most other schools have been strictly online since Thanksgiving. The whole idea most places was to send the students home at Thanksgiving and not bring them back until late January, minimizing the likelihood of spread from home to school and vice-versa. My daughter has been home since Nov. 18 and doesn't return to school (Valpo) until Jan. 25. Her boyfriend is at IUPUI and has followed a similar schedule. He is currently recovering from Covid after contracting it from his mother, who is a nurse at a retirement community.

Most colleges have done a reasonable job managing Covid outbreaks except where students were mass-gathering at off-campus parties. Those outbreaks haven't been any greater than the ones originating where grown-ass adults can't stay out of bars. I won't jump into the argument as to whether college sports should have been cancelled but will say that a lot of universities would have closed the doors permanently and tens of thousands of people would have been out of work if they had shut down this year. Given that Congress chose to sit on its ass with regard to passing new stimulus after the first round this spring, I don't think the economic devastation resulting from closing universities is worth the risk. If this country had the collective mind to absorb the debt and fund a total shutdown, I would be of a different mind.

Just end the entire season. With COVID raging and vaccines just now coming available it is foolhardy and irresponsible to expose students and their families to the risks of getting infected.
Since when did you decide to be so cautious? I thought you were the one criticizing the Big Ten for not starting football like the SEC and ACC a couple months ago?

Did you get together with your family on Thanksgiving? Will you be getting together with them at Christmas?

I just don't see how things will be different a mere 6 days later.
The CDC guideline for quarantine is now 10 days after a direct contact, so last Sat. fell smack in the middle of that, but this Friday is 10 days from last Tuesday.

10 days is also the isolation guideline if you test positive, ie if you have no fever and no or improving symptoms you can resume normal activities on day 11 after a positive test.

If players are being tested daily, the majority of exposed people test positive within the first 5 days, so if the teams isolated/quarantined starting last Monday, they have a real good idea right now who is available.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT