ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Updated. Trump econ results 2016-2019...

ribbont

All-American
Mar 23, 2006

I noticed this is now behind a pay wall so here are some highlights:

Note: I changed the title so more people can realize how well the economy was doing pre-covid.

Lo, “families at the top of the income and wealth distributions experienced very little, if any, growth” in net worth between 2016 and 2019 “after experiencing large gains between 2013 and 2016,” while “families near the bottom of the income and wealth distributions generally continued to experience substantial gains.” That’s a long way of saying wealth inequality declined.

The Fed also reports growing wealth among lower-income Americans. Net worth (assets minus debt) increased 32.5% among the lowest income quintile and 30.7% among the second lowest, while declining modestly for the upper crust. The latter may be due to older Americans with more financial assets shifting to bonds from equities as they near retirement. Net worth also increased among blacks (32.1%) and Hispanics (63.6%) compared to whites (4%).

Rising incomes also made home ownership more affordable, even with tighter mortgage underwriting. Home ownership declined across the socioeconomic spectrum during the Obama Presidency despite near-zero interest rates, but it ticked up 1.4 percentage points overall from 2016 to 2019, including among Hispanics (1.8 points) and blacks (2.3 points).

As significant was the growth in business equity, especially among blacks (138%), Hispanics (63%) and Americans without a high-school diploma (104%). The gig economy and online platforms like
Etsy
have made starting a business easier, but so have the Trump Administration’s deregulation and the 2017 tax reform.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Awesome. Income disparity "narrowed slightly" for three years, after it "widened considerably" for the six years prior.

Problem solved!
Yep. Poverty rate in the United States began declining in 2014 and continue to decline steadily through 2019. The poverty rate for a family of four is approximately $25,000. I imagine those numbers for 2020 will be pretty grim.

Awesome. Income disparity "narrowed slightly" for three years, after it "widened considerably" for the six years prior.

Problem solved!

So it widened under policies advanced by Obama/Biden and shrunk under Trump/Pence. Please make the argument for me how returning to the Obama/Biden way of doing things is going to close that gap.

People don't like Trump, but the results on the economic front are undeniable. We have had a uni-party on economics going back to H.W. Bush. Making it easier to do business in the U.S. with regulation and tax decreases (the carrot) and also making it less advantageous to off shore jobs to enemies like China (the stick) all while stemming the flow of cheap labor has been great for the lower class.

It is amazing what can be done for people when they have an actual opportunity to go out and do for themselves instead of having to be content on the scraps from the table that the technocrats allow them (UBI, welfare, etc.)

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
This is good news.

However, before getting too excited I would like to know more about the Survey on Consumer Finances as conducted by the Federal Reserve Board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT