ADVERTISEMENT

SI - Thamel - Crean to NC State possibility

That was a well written, very thought out article. I really think Crean feels that way and will make a move to another school with a slight push (2 million or so)from IU

That was a well written, very thought out article. I really think Crean feels that way and will make a move to another school with a slight push (2 million or so)from IU
"He's considered one of the best strategists and development coaches in college basketball."

There's nothing "very thought out" about that, and there's absolutely nothing to suggest Crean feels that way. This gets stranger by the day.

Well written? It includes this:

He dragged Indiana out of the depths of probation, but he’s yet to be fully embraced by the fan base despite the recent success.

At a certain point, it’s worth wondering if Crean will get a wandering eye to somewhere his success will be celebrated instead of second-guessed.
In other words, Crean's done a great job at Indiana...but just isn't appreciated. As such, he should take his wonderful coaching talents elsewhere where they'll be appreciated.

That's not "thought out" very well, IMO. Crean's best teams can't get above 3rd gear...and most of his teams top out at 2nd gear.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
you guys are hilarious. when side show tom was winning the B1G the majority of posters on this forum were ok with having a tan clapping clown dancing on the sidelines (actually on the court). he's been laughed at by the rest of the conference fans for the past 7-8 years.

welcome to realville

you guys are hilarious. when side show tom was winning the B1G the majority of posters on this forum were ok with having a tan clapping clown dancing on the sidelines (actually on the court). he's been laughed at by the rest of the conference fans for the past 7-8 years.

welcome to realville

What's this supposed to mean?

Of course a coach gets fan support when he's winning....and loses it when he's not.

And what fans of the competition think, at any point, is irrelevant.

You think anybody here cares about his appearance or mannerisms? All we want is success...and those things aren't relevant to that metric.

What's this supposed to mean?

Of course a coach gets fan support when he's winning....and loses it when he's not.

And what fans of the competition think, at any point, is irrelevant.

You think anybody here cares about his appearance or mannerisms? All we want is success...and those things aren't relevant to that metric.

it means it's funny

welcome to realville

What choice did they have? Glass gave him a giant extension in 2012. It's finally realistic he could be out of here. The vast majority of IU fans I know have never cared for him as Thamel mentions in the article. That doesn't mean they don't root for the team and enjoy success when it comes.

Reactions: Inequality

welcome to realville
No, a good majority of us were not happy because he was still missing NCAA tournaments(year 6) , bubble with 10 seed (year 7), good year but definitely not overachieving (year 8) and a disasterous year 9. This is not to mention the terrible flame out in sweet 16 with a very talented roster. Many of us here forecasted this disasterous year and our displeasure after year 5 and now it is all coming to a head and is going to only get worse. Its time to move on. Everybody knows it.

welcome to realville
Couldn't help but laugh at this. Not nice I know but still was funny.
And the rivalry continues...

it means it's funny

Still not following you. Are you saying that fans of any sports team -- IU, Purdue, the Colts, you name it -- shouldn't be happy when the results are good....and grumpy when they aren't? And what do unimportant things like aesthetics have to do with it? I mean...Vince Lombardi had buck teeth. Do you think Packers fans cared? Should they have?

Or are you just trolling here? If so, then piss off. If you're trying to make a useful comment or point, you're going to put forth a bit more effort.

welcome to realville

I'll give you realville. Crean has been to three Sweet 16's and won 2 Big Ten titles in the past six or so years and we are talking about firing him. He is inconsistent and has not done a good job of keeping the Indiana kids at home.

You guys would be extending him for his record since Cody stepped on campus. You ought to worry about the anchor around your own program. If we get anyone competent in this job we bury you guys. We've matched your program'so recent best with a guy who you all want to stick around because of how terrible he is. Think about that before you come flapping your jaws over here.

welcome to realville
You'd be wrong about the majority of posters being OK with Crean... you must be new around here...

Reactions: russelltodd
Thamel is an idiot. Just a side note. Don't see NC St. Going for Creen and playing duke, unc, ul, cuse, etc... every year.

welcome to realville
Very mature post and I have reported this to be deleted. We all want a change but please stop the name calling.

Crean is a great strategist. He figured out how to become a multimillionaire by out-smarting his boss.
He has weird mannerisms but he isn't the most unattractive coach in the Big. If I wanted to bring up looks, there's a coach to the east of us who looks like the love child of Karl Malden and Mr. Magoo, but he's a pretty good coach. What I'm trying to say is, looks don't matter if we can get the right guy. We just don't have the right guy at IU.

Crean is a great strategist. He figured out how to become a multimillionaire by out-smarting his boss.
He has weird mannerisms but he isn't the most unattractive coach in the Big. If I wanted to bring up looks, there's a coach to the east of us who looks like the love child of Karl Malden and Mr. Magoo, but he's a pretty good coach. What I'm trying to say is, looks don't matter if we can get the right guy. We just don't have the right guy at IU.

actually nobody minds the way he looks it's the way he acts. someone else has posted before that crean thinks people come to the games to watch him coach

welcome to realville

Mr. Big Schnoz makes Crean looks like Bobby Knight.

He has reached his level of incompetency at O$U.

welcome to realville
No the roar started simmering around the Syracuse game and has never reached the fever pitch prior to that. That was a long time ago.

Reactions: JD in Chicago

welcome to realville
Realville? From a Purdue fan? A school that's been laughed at for 100+ years?

That's hilariously unaware ..

NC State is a possibility for Crean to make a move on his own and save face.
Crean leaving on his own accord would/could be a face-saving strategy. He and his agent can easily play up the 2 of last 4 conference championships and blame injury for this year. Regardless of whether IU fans believe in that or not is irrelevant; it's a viable, pitchable narrative that could lead to another multi-year contract at a power 5 school with lesser expectations than IU. Certainly another year at IU like this one would be very damaging to his reputation (regardless of what IU fans think that reputation is now).

However... if Crean and his agent are smart enough to work this strategy, they are surely smart enough to do so at a program other than NC State, situated in arguably the best basketball conference in the country. K, Williams, Bennett... these guys might not be there forever, but Crean and other coaches in that league are basically competing for 4th place for the next several years. Gottfried got fired for performance. And even if NC State thinks Crean is better than Gottfried, he's not that much better. He would be a damn fool to go work for NC State based on the performance standards they've just communicated to the world with the recent firing. I would be shocked if Crean ends up in another conference of basketball powerhouses such as ACC.

The irony of this thread is that Crean's signature turn around win was at NC State when VO sealed it with a beautiful dunk with under 15 seconds to play. At the time, I knew that Gottfried couldn't coach, but he sure did bring in some talented players and it was quite a game for IU, winning on the road.

Reactions: DANC and mohoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT