ADVERTISEMENT

Should IU go back to grass?...

ribbont

All-American
Mar 23, 2006
I can't recall them all but how many injuries have happened at home versus the road? This year we lost Bedford, Jones, Camper, and now Williams. In the past, I recall Penix and Cronk.

I may be way off in my memory. But does it seem we have more injuries at home than the road?

TIA for correcting my poor memory.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Make the field a mid volleyball court so neither team can score and would be not entertaining for the fans at 0-0 IU would be in every game.

I can't recall them all but how many injuries have happened at home versus the road? This year we lost Bedford, Jones, Camper, and now Williams. In the past, I recall Penix and Cronk.

I may be way off in my memory. But does it seem we have more injuries at home than the road?

Going to have skewed numbers… 5 of the 7 BigTen East schools have turf — Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland all have turf. We’re basically playing 2-3 games a year on grass.

Something for sure is wrong, either S&C program or the
the turf or both.

I had the same thoughts. Unforced major injury year after year. I have no idea when the turf we use now was installed. Is every turf field the same? Just seems like to many for bad luck.
I sort of question the turf thing since our opponents don't seem
to be breaking bones and having various sprains and pulls on the same turf.
The S&C maybe a different matter

Isnt our field cursed though? Like built over an Indian burial ground or something? Seems to have a bunch of turf monsters tripping and hurting only our players! Need to bulldoze it and place a new $2B stadium in another area!

It’s built on a sinkhole. Part of the first field turf field collapsed I think. Our current field was placed in 2016.

They need to look into it, clearly something isn't kosher. These non-contact injuries have set the program way back.

They need to look into it, clearly something isn't kosher. These non-contact injuries have set the program way back.

I would think a major university and athletic department would have statistics on the rate of injury, contact or non, home vs away, etc.

I am trying to recall if any of our season ending injuries occurred on the road? And if so, what kind of turf?

I think the elements are really harsh on this stuff. I’ve always noticed the Colts field turf look fluffier than ours. Ours looks faded green and flat.

IU has had turf for as long as I can remember, I wonder when the last grass field was removed

I think the elements are really harsh on this stuff. I’ve always noticed the Colts field turf look fluffier than ours. Ours looks faded green and flat.
It looks shiny with the sun coming across on tv but it is fine color wise when you see it in person

There is no doubt that a quality grass field is safer, particularly safer than the Slit Film product installed in several NFL Stadiums Including LOS.

The problem is “quality grass field” which is rare in a college environment. In the north, they have to be reseeded mid season and the footing is poor.

Beyond that the cost and durability of grass is a problem which limits other activities the surface can be used for.

Isnt our field cursed though? Like built over an Indian burial ground or something? Seems to have a bunch of turf monsters tripping and hurting only our players! Need to bulldoze it and place a new $2B stadium in another area!
Not excusing IUs field but I also wonder with some of the injuries we see how much is athletes building too much muscle strength for the frame of their bodies to take?

I remember the 01 bucket game was played partly during a downpour. How long after that did we switch?
I would have to look up when they switched back but I do recall that game sitting in the heaviest rain I have ever seen. Field actually took it and drained better that anyone expected but the sidelines were deep. The water coming down the stairs was spectacular.

Thinking the same. It seemed like there were alot of ligament and tendon injuries during the steroid era in baseball.
The old Astro turf was just a scratchy rug on concrete. Destroyed knees. Today’s Field turf is much better but still not a safe as the rare quality grass field.

Wasn't there a time with the old astro-turf a lot of guys were wearing basketball shoes ? Maybe the cleats need some rethinking too? I'd rather have guys slipping than shredding knees. If we find out the details of Dex's actual injury I have a feeling its a lot more serious , not that ACLs arent serious . I had flipped away and came back and the whole team on the field and parents and even Purdue team out on the field, the amount of time they spent and being careful is good, going right to the hospital and all just seems bad to me.

Just came here to say we had a very good time at IU. I've never had a bad time or felt the rivalry got out of control. It was my 5th time in Bloomington for a bucket game, all good experiences both inside and out of the stadium. And yes, I hope you all decide to change for natural grass. It was so sad to see your QB go down non contact like he did. I know there is a bit if a movement in the NFL to get rid of turf. I'd like to see the B1G do the same. Currently it's only 4 schools I believe, NW, plus Purdue, PSU, and MSU (all who have turf science programs).

ADVERTISEMENT