ADVERTISEMENT

Should health care premiums increase for the unvaccinated?...

A friend of mine and I were discussing over the weekend and then I saw this article.

I think I'm good with increased rates. Thoughts?
If rates are gonna be based on risk then it's imperative that the higher risks which they are based on are risks that the insured has some control over. In other words they shouldn't be able to raise your rates because you happen to have the gene that happens to increase the likelihood of lung cancer. However a person does have control over their weight, smoking, vaccinations, etc. I believe they raise your rates now if you're a smoker.

Just so I follow correctly. It's not OK to deny preexisting conditions but we can charge $1 mill a month (just a # out of the air for discussions) more? Especially if those preexisting conditions were caused my individual freedoms?

We're talking about commercial enterprises. Not providing coverage for pregnancy would be self- defeating. Millions of healthy young women would find coverage elsewhere.

I suspect lots of employers would be happy to contract with insurers who hold people accountable for refusing COVID vaccines.

Looks like most of you don't understand how health insurance works under current law. The only "discriminating" factors that can be applied are age and smoking.

It does not prevent you from getting the disease. But it is effective relative to if you didn't get the vaccine. So 90% efficacy for hospitalization means you're 90% less likely to be hospitalized if you get the vaccine than if you did not if all other factors are equal.
It almost completely prevents you from getting the disease (COVID19). It does not prevent you from getting infected with the virus (SARSCOV2) that would result in the disease, were you unvaccinated.

It's a fine point, but an important one. There is no PCR test for COVID. There is a PCR test for SARSCOV2.

You don't want to get infected with SARSCOV2.

But if you DO get infected with SARSCOV2, and if you are VACCINATED, you almost certainly (~90%) will not develop the disease COVID19, which is diagnosed based upon clinical symptoms. If you are one of the unlucky ~10% of vaccinated people who, after SARSCOV2 infection, show for a time some clinical signs of the disease, you will almost certainly not die, not need to be hospitalized, clear the infection faster, and not pass on the infection as much as your unvaccinated plague rat friends.

So it makes perfect sense to give more incentives for vaccination, including insurance premium discounts (if legal).

Looks like most of you don't understand how health insurance works under current law. The only "discriminating" factors that can be applied are age and smoking.
There is one more. Many of us here are discriminated against by forcing us to subsidize the insurance and health care of others and many more to lose their good coverage in exchange for a very high priced safety net. The ACA is a very discriminatory set of laws.

There is one more. Many of us here are discriminated against by forcing us to subsidize the insurance and health care of others and many more to lose their good coverage in exchange for a very high priced safety net. The ACA is a very discriminatory set of laws.
That's assuming you didn't have a pre-existing condition. If you did, the ACA rebalanced the market by raising the coverage floor on "the invincibles" to spread the risk and make coverage affordable.

Reactions: UncleMark
Health insurance should be abolished. It is a middle entity that knows little about healthcare. Maybe some billing codes. It is part of the rising healthcare costs. Citizens should have the right to choose a competing healthcare provider of doctors with out middle entities. The other part is the government. If the govt. wants to create their own healthcare entity and give citizens an option to pay medicare taxes to use their entity, fine. One should be able to have options not some poor system that the govt. has mucked up and forced onto folks.

True, but many insurers offer discounts if one meets certain requirements, such as in-range BP, in-range cholesterol, in -range BMI, etc. Couldn't the insurer give a discount for getting the vaccination?

A friend of mine and I were discussing over the weekend and then I saw this article.

Should we also increase rates for people who don’t eat healthy or exercise on a regular basis?

Reactions: jet812
Just so I follow correctly. It's not OK to deny preexisting conditions but we can charge $1 mill a month (just a # out of the air for discussions) more? Especially if those preexisting conditions were caused my individual freedoms?
Hey Joe, I was under the impression that a pre-existing condition wouldn't prevent a person from obtaining coverage, but premiums could be higher in at least some cases such as an individual policy.

Employers are constantly trying to find ways to negotiate lower group insurance rates with insurance carriers. I can foresee the day is coming when some employers will apply heavy pressure on employees to get vaccinated.

Yes. At least a little bit. Just enough to get the point across.

Hey Joe, I was under the impression that a pre-existing condition wouldn't prevent a person from obtaining coverage, but premiums could be higher in at least some cases such as an individual policy.
You very well could be right about the price increase for PEC. BUT, if the increase is totally cost prohibitive, isn't that the same as not allowing them? This would be the type of Sh$T that is a typical feel good story, "look what we did for you", now you can get coverage.... for $4,000 a month. Just spit balling here, I'm not arguing with you sir.
Same with Cobra, as far as I am concerned. About 90% of my adult life, there was no way I could ever have afforded $1300-$1500 per month that my employer had previously been kicking in.

Reactions: Crayfish57
You very well could be right about the price increase for PEC. BUT, if the increase is totally cost prohibitive, isn't that the same as not allowing them? This would be the type of Sh$T that is a typical feel good story, "look what we did for you", now you can get coverage.... for $4,000 a month. Just spit balling here, I'm not arguing with you sir.
Same with Cobra, as far as I am concerned. About 90% of my adult life, there was no way I could ever have afforded $1300-$1500 per month that my employer had previously been kicking in.
Joe, here is an interesting article you might appreciate regarding the complicated pricing of drugs and the role of Pharmacy Benefits Managers.

The ultimate "preexisting' problem in my view is being born with a genetic future about which you cannot avoid even with a healthy life style. A genetic makeup which predestines you to having a health problem. A health problem which can be helped by a drug which you cannot afford even with insurance.

I hope that we are not still paying the hospital and Dr bills for the non vaxxed sheep.

They had their chance and gave science and the economy the finger.

Not good enough.

Now
My employer is in Florida, so rules have to be massaged to avoid the eye of Sauron (Death-Santis).

Case in point, we have vaccination status stickers on all of our ID cards. But DeathSantis forbids any company to demand people to declare their vaccination status. So... my employer asked us to volunteer whether we have been fully vaccinated or not.

If you don't volunteer that information, you get a sticker saying "unverfied" rather than "unvaccinated". Masks are required for the unverfied, at all times. Regular PCR testing too. Travel bans too.

If you do volunteer that information, you get a sticker saying "vaccinated"and avoid those restrictions.

So Sauron's eye is diverted. Nobody's required to volunteer that information.

Smart!

Reactions: UncleMark
My employer is in Florida, so rules have to be massaged to avoid the eye of Sauron (Death-Santis).

Case in point, we have vaccination status stickers on all of our ID cards. But DeathSantis forbids any company to demand people to declare their vaccination status. So... my employer asked us to volunteer whether we have been fully vaccinated or not.

If you don't volunteer that information, you get a sticker saying "unverfied" rather than "unvaccinated". Masks are required for the unverfied, at all times. Regular PCR testing too. Travel bans too.

If you do volunteer that information, you get a sticker saying "vaccinated"and avoid those restrictions.

Smart!
IMO, DeSantis hopes to play the Freedom from Encroachment card by government and now employers all the way to the Oval Office.

When workers were going stir crazy at home and anxious to get back to work along with having kids out of school, I can see the popularity of playing the card. However, as employers become the bad guys and start demanding masks and vaccinations, workers may start to realize the mandates although annoying are necessary.

How this all plays out will be interesting as there maybe several twists and turns between now and 2024.

IMO, DeSantis hopes to play the Freedom from Encroachment card by government and now employers all the way to the Oval Office.

When workers were going stir crazy at home and anxious to get back to work along with having kids out of school, I can see the popularity of playing the card. However, as employers become the bad guys and start demanding masks and vaccinations, workers may start to realize the mandates although annoying are necessary.

How this all plays out will be interesting as there maybe several twists and turns between now and 2024.
His hope is that the misery and death will be forgotten by the election cycle.

Reactions: cosmickid
Our school system is only recommending masks. If the kids get hit by covid, then it isn't just a worry for their health as me or my wife then have to figure out how to stay home with them and hope we don't lose our jobs since we aren't working from home anymore.

It's a simple mask but the school system doesn't care how 2 working parents will deal with it if they get the kid or kids sick due to their negligence in requiring basic health precautions.

Smart!
I like that Death-Santis. Saw some polling today where he is losing among Independents and is now polling behind Crist in head to head, although he still has a small lead over Fried.

He's made some wacky moves, but trying to bully the cruise industry seems to be the wackiest. Why in the world would any vaccinated person want to be on a ship with possibly unvaccinated people, given the cruise industry's sad history during the pandemic? He just totally disregards the medical professionals who are dealing with the covid reality every day. He's banking on his popularity with the extreme right, but I think Crist is a much stronger competitor than Gillum was...

Our school system is only recommending masks. If the kids get hit by covid, then it isn't just a worry for their health as me or my wife then have to figure out how to stay home with them and hope we don't lose our jobs since we aren't working from home anymore.

It's a simple mask but the school system doesn't care how 2 working parents will deal with it if they get the kid or kids sick due to their negligence in requiring basic health precautions.
I find that shocking and scary all at the same time

You should not have had children if you can’t take care of them. That’s on you!

Reactions: Crayfish57
I like that Death-Santis. Saw some polling today where he is losing among Independents and is now polling behind Crist in head to head, although he still has a small lead over Fried.

He's made some wacky moves, but trying to bully the cruise industry seems to be the wackiest. Why in the world would any vaccinated person want to be on a ship with possibly unvaccinated people, given the cruise industry's sad history during the pandemic? He just totally disregards the medical professionals who are dealing with the covid reality every day. He's banking on his popularity with the extreme right, but I think Crist is a much stronger competitor than Gillum was...

I think Florida has the highest vaccination rate of any Trump state. Obviously elderly were targeted and it's a state with a lot of people in those age groups, but that doesn't happen by accident.

ADVERTISEMENT