ADVERTISEMENT

Should Biden cancel the debates?

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
Makes sense to me. But he'd have to finesse the inevitable accusations of being afraid of Trump or afraid he'd stick his foot clear down his throat.

Supporters Urge Joe Biden Not to Debate Trump, Applaud Hosts for Canceling Over COVID-19 Concerns

https://www.newsweek.com/supporters...osts-canceling-over-covid-19-concerns-1522178

"We saw in the debates in 2016 Hillary Clinton showed a mastery of the issues, every point she made was more honest and bested Trump," Lockhart told CNN. "But Trump came out of the debates doing better I think because he just kept repeating the same old lies: 'we're going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it,' 'we're going to keep all those Mexican rapists out of the country,' and 'we're going to make great trade deals' — none of these things have come to pass."

"Giving him that national forum to continue to spout — get him to 21,000 or 22,000 lies — I think just isn't worth it for the Democrats or for Biden," Lockhart continued.​

Reactions: meridian and T.M.P.
Makes sense to me. But he'd have to finesse the inevitable accusations of being afraid of Trump or afraid he'd stick his foot clear down his throat.

Supporters Urge Joe Biden Not to Debate Trump, Applaud Hosts for Canceling Over COVID-19 Concerns

https://www.newsweek.com/supporters...osts-canceling-over-covid-19-concerns-1522178

"We saw in the debates in 2016 Hillary Clinton showed a mastery of the issues, every point she made was more honest and bested Trump," Lockhart told CNN. "But Trump came out of the debates doing better I think because he just kept repeating the same old lies: 'we're going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it,' 'we're going to keep all those Mexican rapists out of the country,' and 'we're going to make great trade deals' — none of these things have come to pass."

"Giving him that national forum to continue to spout — get him to 21,000 or 22,000 lies — I think just isn't worth it for the Democrats or for Biden," Lockhart continued.​

I saw that earlier. No, he shouldn't.

He should because I don’t think he has anything to gain. I guess I just fear he may fvck it up & open the door for the Donald. I can’t handle another 4 years of that idiot...

Reactions: meridian

Or provide ammo to the crowd that believes he’s lost his mind

Reactions: brianiu
I don't see how backing out of the debates (that's what it will be called, not "cancelling" them) could possibly work for Biden. It won't look like he doesn't want to give Trump a platform. It will look like he's scared to give Trump a platform.

Absolutely, Biden needs to do the three debates.

And the bar is set so low for him he just has to prove that he can answer questions and have a little empathy.

When Trump attacks him he just needs to laugh at Donald like he did to Palin.

If I was him I’d cancel he’ll get eviscerated. He seems pretty slow trump will embarrass him and people will be like this is the dude we’re gonna vote for? Nope

Lol you think Trump is going to win an intellectual debate.

He's a monkey throwing shit. His base will eat it up like it's some kind of WWF event but everyone knows who Trump is.

Now if Kayleigh were debating I'd be a little worried.

The debates won't change anybody's mind and it will be 90% Trump having to defend all of the stupid shit he does because, unlike last time, he actually has a record to attack.

Biden has to do the debates. He doesn't have to do more than three though.

He should because I don’t think he has anything to gain. I guess I just fear he may fvck it up & open the door for the Donald. I can’t handle another 4 years of that idiot...

Which idiot?

Lol you think Trump is going to win an intellectual debate.

He's a monkey throwing shit. His base will eat it up like it's some kind of WWF event but everyone knows who Trump is.

Now if Kayleigh were debating I'd be a little worried.

The debates won't change anybody's mind and it will be 90% Trump having to defend all of the stupid shit he does because, unlike last time, he actually has a record to attack.

Biden has to do the debates. He doesn't have to do more than three though.

trump won’t win an intellectual debate, no

but he’ll win at making Biden look slow and weak.

Reactions: Crayfish57
trump won’t win an intellectual debate, no

but he’ll win at making Biden look slow and weak.

He's knocked Biden's expectations so low that Joe just has to not die during the debate.

His gaffs are nothing new.

And Biden is well liked in the game, unlike Hillary. Gotta be careful with those dementia jabs, Julian Castro can vouge.

I don't have any worries. Again his expectations are going to be so low and he's actually much better in a one on one debate than an aggressive 20 person food fight.

Looking forward to it actually.

Why is this even an issue? They can be done remotely , or no need for a crowd but at most Trump and Biden the question panel and a TV crew. Surely they can spread people out enough . Joe will have to come out of his basement sometime. Get them plastic bubbles like the Pope used to ride around in.

Absolutely, Biden needs to do the three debates.

And the bar is set so low for him he just has to prove that he can answer questions and have a little empathy.

When Trump attacks him he just needs to laugh at Donald like he did to Palin.
Agreed. He doesn't need a stellar performance. He just has to be adequate and look presidential.

He held his own during the Democrat debates that featured several bright, well-spoken candidates. He can certainly do the same standing next to the crazy, incompetent idiot he's running against now.

Agreed. He doesn't need a stellar performance. He just has to be adequate and look presidential.

He held his own during the Democrat debates that featured several bright, well-spoken candidates. He can certainly do the same standing next to the crazy, incompetent idiot he's running against now.
They should have the Green Party and Libertarian party candidates on the stage as well.

I do not favor it, but if Biden were to back put he should say he is refusing to debate until Trump releases his tax returns. Since Biden has released his, Biden could claim it is unfair that Trump could question Biden on Biden's returns but Biden could not question Trump.

Agree w/ @StelioKantos, he should 100% avoid the debates. He’ll get destroyed. Personally, I would enjoy watching the train wreck.

Our career politician, what a shame. Anyone under the age of 120 that is competent to run for office in this country?

350 million people and it comes down to these two clowns, lord help us!

Reactions: jet812
Biden wasn't great in the Republican primaries but he held his own. Biden was attacked pretty regularly in those as the frontrunner and by people a lot more capable than Trump.

He's knocked Biden's expectations so low that Joe just has to not die during the debate.

His gaffs are nothing new.

And Biden is well liked in the game, unlike Hillary. Gotta be careful with those dementia jabs, Julian Castro can vouge.

I don't have any worries. Again his expectations are going to be so low and he's actually much better in a one on one debate than an aggressive 20 person food fight.

Looking forward to it actually.

budens gaffes might not be new to us here or hardcore dems, but believe me they will open plenty of peoples eyes

I do not favor it, but if Biden were to back put he should say he is refusing to debate until Trump releases his tax returns. Since Biden has released his, Biden could claim it is unfair that Trump could question Biden on Biden's returns but Biden could not question Trump.
That's diabolical. I like it.

I don't see how backing out of the debates (that's what it will be called, not "cancelling" them) could possibly work for Biden. It won't look like he doesn't want to give Trump a platform. It will look like he's scared to give Trump a platform.
Perhaps. That was my first thought. But if he were to sell the idea that all Trump will do is lie all the more, it could fly. Maybe. Possibly. The one thing to remember is that the news cycle has gotten so short and you have a new Trump outrage dominating the zeitgeist so quickly and regularly that any pushback or hit Biden might take would most likely be long dissipated and forgotten by Nov 3.

Only scared cats run. Do we want a scared President? I say Joe Biden if you thinks he can be leader of the free world should come out of his basement and debate Trump on the issues. Let him defend his views. I'd like to hear from him in a debate.

Only scared cats run. Do we want a scared President? I say Joe Biden if you thinks he can be leader of the free world should come out of his basement and debate Trump on the issues. Let him defend his views. I'd like to hear from him in a debate.

If I were him and stay locked away in that basement for as long as possible. He only stands to lose in a debate

Perhaps. That was my first thought. But if he were to sell the idea that all Trump will do is lie all the more, it could fly. Maybe. Possibly. The one thing to remember is that the news cycle has gotten so short and you have a new Trump outrage dominating the zeitgeist so quickly and regularly that any pushback or hit Biden might take would most likely be long dissipated and forgotten by Nov 3.

If Trump is going "lie all the more", then Biden should absolutely debate. The MSM would report the hell out if it. CNN's Chris Cillizza already does a "most outrageous lines" whenever Trump talks.

But on second thought, you may be right. The MSM has hated on Trump so much that they are losing objective credibility.

If Trump is going "lie all the more", then Biden should absolutely debate. The MSM would report the hell out if it. CNN's Chris Cillizza already does a "most outrageous lines" whenever Trump talks.

But on second thought, you may be right. The MSM has hated on Trump so much that they are losing objective credibility.
I think that Biden needs to challenge Trump's lies immediately, in real time, as they're uttered. Don't wait for your turn, just call it as he says it: "That's a lie." Every damn time. Most likely would turn into a food fight, but Trump will be hurling vegetables anyway no matter what tactics Biden employs.

Reactions: glmiu11
Good chance in my opinion neither will make a sterling performance in the eyes of many viewers. I can already invision those "I held my nose and voted" comments.

More reasons to further the growing dissatisfaction and lack of trust in our federal government.

We are in for some nasty politics between now and November. As if the pandemic wasn't depressing enough.

Biden would clearly be better off with no debates but only if they were legit called off by someone besides his campaign.

I think that Biden needs to challenge Trump's lies immediately, in real time, as they're uttered. Don't wait for your turn, just call it as he says it: "That's a lie." Every damn time. Most likely would turn into a food fight, but Trump will be hurling vegetables anyway no matter what tactics Biden employs.

Unless they equip Biden with a buzzer and a cue card that says “that’s a lie” Biden isn’t capable of that

Unless they equip Biden with a buzzer and a cue card that says “that’s a lie” Biden isn’t capable of that
I actually think he should have flip cards over the front of his podium that he flips over with every lie.

I’ll do you one better. I hope Biden tells Trump to get f’d (in more polite terms, I guess) on national tv.

ADVERTISEMENT