ADVERTISEMENT

Shortstop Solution

No Bueno - Subscribers only.
Well poop. Here's the headline. Kid is a genuine 3 sport stud.

Small town, big talent: Indiana multisport star Colson Montgomery may be MLB first-round pick​

He's committed to play baseball at IU. And if he gets to Bloomington, he may give Mike Woodson a call. But MLB riches may alter the plan.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
He plays at Southridge down near Evansville, and according to the top baseball draft prospects listing at MLB.com, he is in their top 100 at #48. He will probably go in the first or second round, and if you go in those two rounds, you are looking at some really serious money as a signing bonus. Hopefully, he wants to play some college ball before going pro and will bypass the instant big money, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Here's the link to the rankings:

Here's the assigned value of the draft picks for the 2020 draft, with the top pick assigned a value of $8.4 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23
He plays at Southridge down near Evansville, and according to the top baseball draft prospects listing at MLB.com, he is in their top 100 at #48. He will probably go in the first or second round, and if you go in those two rounds, you are looking at some really serious money as a signing bonus. Hopefully, he wants to play some college ball before going pro and will bypass the instant big money, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Here's the link to the rankings:

Here's the assigned value of the draft picks for the 2020 draft, with the top pick assigned a value of $8.4 million.

Early on Colson Montgomery seemed committed to attending college. If I am reading things correctly, BIG IF, starting school this fall he would be draft eligible in the MLB draft of 2023, and well on his way to a degree. He would also likely be moving a million dollar bird from his hand to the bush. In my years of following IU sports I can’t think of a more important baseball recruit. Not just from his potential on the field impact but also the importance of getting top flight kids to come to a B1G school for baseball. He could go to about any school he wanted plus a high draft slot Is likely. To compete nationally IU has to be able to get this type of player. He is likely not alone in kids who will be drafted, Luke Hayden and perhaps TJ White may well be drafted. All three kids would likely play a lot for what will almost certainly be a very young team next year.

Reactions: mk23 and ptrich
Early on Colson Montgomery seemed committed to attending college. If I am reading things correctly, BIG IF, starting school this fall he would be draft eligible in the MLB draft of 2023, and well on his way to a degree. He would also likely be moving a million dollar bird from his hand to the bush. In my years of following IU sports I can’t think of a more important baseball recruit. Not just from his potential on the field impact but also the importance of getting top flight kids to come to a B1G school for baseball. He could go to about any school he wanted plus a high draft slot Is likely. To compete nationally IU has to be able to get this type of player. He is likely not alone in kids who will be drafted, Luke Hayden and perhaps TJ White may well be drafted. All three kids would likely play a lot for what will almost certainly be a very young team next year.
I saw that Hayden just pitched another no-hitter in winning the sectional title for 3A Edgewood, which I believe is at least his third no-hitter on the season. High school games are seven innings, but that is still pretty impressive.

Last edited:
We have a SS coming in from Floyd Central named Evan Goforth. I’ve seen him play and he looks good. Really good fielder and a strong arm. I don’t think he has a ton of power but he hits a lot of line drives. Kind of like Nick Ramos that used to play here.

Reactions: ulrey and mk23
Just took look at d1 baseball transfer portal tracker. 9 Hoosier including Tommy Sommer, Toetz, Espalin and Joe Reid ( the third catcher). There are around 1700 players which likely will continue to grow thru 7/1. Very few have landed at this point. I gather this was expected. I’d say we are about avg in numbers at this point

Just took look at d1 baseball transfer portal tracker. 9 Hoosier including Tommy Sommer, Toetz, Espalin and Joe Reid ( the third catcher). There are around 1700 players which likely will continue to grow thru 7/1. Very few have landed at this point. I gather this was expected. I’d say we are about avg in numbers at this point
Oh yeah real normal to have your most promising young hitter (Toetz) in the transfer portal. Tells me he doesn't believe IU is developing hitters properly which we can all see and this better be a wakeup call to the coaching staff.

Obviously just because they are in the transfer portal does not mean they are leaving but that is a red flag when someone like Toetz is even looking.

The others are mildly disappointing but I by no means expected Sommer back and had Bothwell, Mudungo and Stahl as the starters going forward and think that could work very well. Espalin could certainly develop here, but right now is raw as can be and if he wants to go somewhere else fine. I have no clue who Joe Reid nor did I know such a person existed on our team.

However, like I said if Toetz wants out the staff needs to take a serious look at how they are developing hitters or this is going to not work out and we will be making a coaching change in next few years. I get Toetz is one guy but he is a foundational building piece and if he wants to leave something is not right somewhere.

I didn’t mean to imply ‘normal’. From what I understand ncaa granted special transfer rules to play right away so 1700 interested players are looking at options. Some teams looked like they were ending their program there were so many players in portal. As to toetz, it could be he sees competition at his position since his defense was poor all year vs confidence in hitting development. Nevertheless to lose a quality bat would not be good.

Oh yeah real normal to have your most promising young hitter (Toetz) in the transfer portal. Tells me he doesn't believe IU is developing hitters properly which we can all see and this better be a wakeup call to the coaching staff.

Obviously just because they are in the transfer portal does not mean they are leaving but that is a red flag when someone like Toetz is even
The others are mildly disappointing but I by no means expected Sommer back and had Bothwell, Mudungo and Stahl as the starters going forward and think that could work very well. Espalin could certainly develop here, but right now is raw as can be and if he wants to go somewhere else fine. I have no clue who Joe Reid nor did I know such a person existed on our team.

However, like I said if Toetz wants out the staff needs to take a serious look at how they are developing hitters or this is going to not work out and we will be making a coaching change in next few years. I get Toetz is one guy but he is a foundational building piece and if he wants to leave something is not right somewhere.
I have heard there has been some dissent between players and coaches, and also dissent between the staff as well. That would certainly explain the collapse down the stretch. I wouldn’t be surprised to see kids leave via transfer and the draft, and this team look really different come next year. Red flags indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT