ADVERTISEMENT

Shooting woes...

Even though Brunk didn’t play? Why do you watch a team you hate?
I don’t hate iu?? I just don’t see us being any better than middle of the pack in BIG. Same issues we have had in past two years are still showing. FT’s and outside shooting. If I’m wrong I’m wrong just don’t see a national title or big ten contender with this group

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMobe
Middle of pack BIG team. Shooting will be an issue and front court depth
Considering 7 of the 14 teams are in the top 25 middle of the pack isn't bad. I think they might crack the top third. It's going to be a strange season with ups and downs, delays and cancellations.

Illinois was hitting everything today. So was Iowa. It must be nice to have the shooters those teams have.

I don’t hate iu?? I just don’t see us being any better than middle of the pack in BIG. Same issues we have had in past two years are still showing. FT’s and outside shooting. If I’m wrong I’m wrong just don’t see a national title or big ten contender with this group

Time will tell. I for one tend to agree with you. And, for whatever it’s worth (which isn’t much), so do the oddsmakers and ranking voters.

But (a) we should at least be a couple ticks better than we were last year, (b) it’s to be expected that fans would have some optimism and hope at the beginning of a new season, and (c) those hopeful fans are never going to like a negative Nancy raining on their tip-off parade.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Brad Underwood has done a very good job rebuilding the Illini. They went from 11th to 10th to 4th in his 3 seasons. They start this season out ranked 8th.

That’s what improvement looks like.

Underwood was available the same year as Archie...............I agree, he has done an outstanding job and recruits like hell.

Reactions: IUgradman
We got the 3rd best coach in that hiring cycle. Underwood and Holtman are both better than Miller. I’d make that trade in a heartbeat. I really felt that Holtman was a great fit for Indiana.

Nothing he stated was dumb or even controversial. We do lack front court depth and most people predict we will be a middle of the pack Big Ten team. You don't think shooting will be an issue? I like Lander and thought Trey played well, but both of them need to work on their shooting. What makes you confident we will be a team that shoots well?

Last edited:
Nothing he stated was dumb or even controversial. We do lack front court depth and most people predict we will be a middle of the pack Big Ten team. You don't think shooting will be an issue? I like Lander and thought Trey played well, but neither looked like great shooter or are known for their shooting. What made you so confident we will be a team that shoots well?
It has nothing to do with anything he said, he has the right to his perpetually negative opinion.

The reason it's dumb is that he formed that opinion based on the first game of the season against Tennessee Tech; in a season with a pandemic, very limited practice time, and no exhibition games. It gets even dumber if you start basing opinions on where some idiot from Lindy's ranked the Hoosiers as they are almost always wrong and likely barely watched IU last year if at all.

What makes it even MORE dumb is that IU's starting center didn't even play, let alone the fact that NOBODY knows after one game how much better these freshman are going to get as the season goes on. I was pretty damn impressed by a few of them last night.

I personally think this roster is loaded and that IU will make a big jump this year. It's an opinion that I didn't form over a blowout against Tennessee Tech, it's an opinion I formed in the offseason based on IU's recruiting class, the improvement towards the end of the season last year, as well as returning talent/experience and how it compares to the rest of the conference.

Anyone coming on here and basing their negative opinion of what's going to happen over an entire season because IU missed some 3s in 30 point win against an overmatched team in the first game, reads as someone that can't wait for something to bitch about.

He very well may be right and I might be wrong but I promise you it'll have nothing to do with that game last night, it'll be because of the roster underperforming their talent level and lack of improvement from the freshman.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
It has nothing to do with anything he said, he has the right to his perpetually negative opinion.

The reason it's dumb is that he formed that opinion based on the first game of the season against Tennessee Tech; in a season with a pandemic, very limited practice time, and no exhibition games. It gets even dumber if you start basing opinions on where some idiot from Lindy's ranked the Hoosiers as they are almost always wrong and likely barely watched IU last year if at all.

What makes it even MORE dumb is that IU's starting center didn't even play, let alone the fact that NOBODY knows after one game how much better these freshman are going to get as the season goes on. I was pretty damn impressed by a few of them last night.

I personally think this roster is loaded and that IU will make a big jump this year. It's an opinion that I didn't form over a blowout against Tennessee Tech, it's an opinion I formed in the offseason based on IU's recruiting class, the improvement towards the end of the season last year, as well as returning talent/experience and how it compares to the rest of the conference.

Anyone coming on here and basing their negative opinion of what's going to happen over an entire season because IU missed some 3s in 30 point win against an overmatched team in the first game, reads as someone that can't wait for something to bitch about.

He very well may be right and I might be wrong but I promise you it'll have nothing to do with that game last night, it'll be because of the roster underperforming their talent level and lack of improvement from the freshman.
It is also a reoccurring theme from last years squad. FT issues and 3 point shooting. Two areas we struggled that continued last night. Shooting hasn’t been addressed. My opinion also comes from seeing Iowa, MSU, Illinois, Pu and whisky play yesterday. “If” shooting improves we may be in top 3rd but I would say we improve a little from the 9-11 big ten record last year and get to 11-9 roughly or 12-8

Reactions: IUgradman

A couple quick points. I would argue Brunk being out is an example of how IU lacks front court depth. Lots of players get hurt and teams that have good depth don't bring in 6"6 SF to play PF. It seems like you guys just have different opinions on how good IU will be this year. I still disagree that it's dumb for someone to predict that IU is going to be a middle of the pack BTT (I've been predicting a top 4 team and reserve the right to change that opinion in March) and struggle to shoot the ball this year. They might be wrong, but there is plenty of evidence from the previous 2 years that would lead a reasonable person to predict that.

Combine that with 5 of 19 from beyond the arc, and we'll be next to the bottom of the league. Can't believe we can't get someone to come in a show these guys how to shoot FTs
It’s going to come down to consistent shot selection. We have some guys who will shoot well this year. It’s early and those who do not consistently hit the shot will need to slow their roll. Al, Rob and Hunter will all shoot well and have the green light. And as long as they take smart shots, their percentages will be high. If we can get one more solid threat, we will be fine.

Based on what? Oh yeah, the game against Tennessee Tech last night. My point exactly.
And last year??? It’s basically same group...Franklin isn’t a shooter, galloway isn’t a shooter, lander can be.
Leal will not get a ton of minutes. So no I don’t see us having much shooting. Also 3 guys make up entire front court depth.
Brunk 6’10
TJD 6’9
Race 6’8
This is a small roster. I think Archie is building a solid foundation but misses on key targets for upcoming class could hurt that growth. We needed one of Kaufman or Furst

And last year??? It’s basically same group...Franklin isn’t a shooter, galloway isn’t a shooter, lander can be.
Leal will not get a ton of minutes. So no I don’t see us having much shooting. Also 3 guys make up entire front court depth.
Brunk 6’10
TJD 6’9
Race 6’8
This is a small roster. I think Archie is building a solid foundation but misses on key targets for upcoming class could hurt that growth. We needed one of Kaufman or Furst

What’s the point of getting into an argument over expectations or predictions?

Time will answer all these questions for us. My expectations, like yours, are tempered. That’s not just based on last night’s game, though.

That said, I hope that you and I prove wrong and those with higher expectations prove right. But I also hope that, if those high expectations are met with yet another disappointment, that this won’t be received as “good enough.”

We should have high expectations. We just haven’t had much reason to in recent years. And my fear is that we’ll just continue dialing those expectations down due to fear that making wholesale changes — which I believe are desperately needed — will only lead to even worse results or a replay of the Sampson debacle.

Brunk 6’10
TJD 6’9
Race 6’8
If Leal can just be a Matt Roth type player this year he will be very valuable. The kid is a shooter.

Two things stood out- very poor free throw shooting at home. 2. lack of defensive focus in the second half. Granted,teams adapt after halftime but IU let them in the paint way too much plus a few open looks outside. I thought they looked poor at the 3 point shot yet so did IU. One game . Yet need to work on weaknesses. Hope Brunk isn't out long. Jerome Hunter made a good impression as he did the needed things on the floor.

A couple quick points. I would argue Brunk being out is an example of how IU lacks front court depth. Lots of players get hurt and teams that have good depth don't bring in 6"6 SF to play PF. It seems like you guys just have different opinions on how good IU will be this year. I still disagree that it's dumb for someone to predict that IU is going to be a middle of the pack BTT (I've been predicting a top 4 team and reserve the right to change that opinion in March) and struggle to shoot the ball this year. They might be wrong, but there is plenty of evidence from the previous 2 years that would lead a reasonable person to predict that.
Actually, given how bad the shooting numbers were last night, the evidence from last year tends to suggest we just had a bad night. Al Durham isn't going to shoot 20% from three this year. The team isn't going to shoot 40% from the line this year. We know the team is better than that.

And we won by 30, shooting like that....because the other team was terrible and shorthanded.

Plus, it was Smitty, whose highlights include:

IU is deep and talented (last year)
IU sucks and can't shoot free throws (also last year)
CAM isn't getting it done.
Romeo isn't coming to IU.
Dayton has a better program than IU and we should hire their coach, his name is Archie Miller.

Based on what? Oh yeah, the game against Tennessee Tech last night. My point exactly.
What were your predictions for last years team? Did you have us tied for 10th in the Big 10 with a losing conference record and a borderline tournament team? People look at this team and the lack of progress over the last three years and have formed reasonable opinions. Haven’t seen you provide support for your view, but maybe that’s in a future post?

What were your predictions for last years team? Did you have us tied for 10th in the Big 10 with a losing conference record and a borderline tournament team? People look at this team and the lack of progress over the last three years and have formed reasonable opinions. Haven’t seen you provide support for your view, but maybe that’s in a future post?
I had them as a middle pack BIG10 team where they would win 20+ games and make the tournament, which considering they already had 20 wins (and were a tourney lock) before the rest of the BIg10 tournament got cancelled I was pretty much right on point.

IU has had some bad basketball players over the past few years, those players are no longer on the roster. IU nabbed one of the top recruiting classes in the BIG10 as well to go with an improved TJD, Phinesee, Hunter ect...

Also, I'm not a perpetually negative person and I'm actually rooting for the team to succeed unlike some here. Obviously Archie/IU need a breakout year this year and based on the roster I think they get it.

I'm also sure that if IU turns it around posters like you and smitty will be nowhere to be found.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I had them as a middle pack BIG10 team where they would win 20+ games and make the tournament, which considering they already had 20 wins (and were a tourney lock) before the rest of the BIg10 tournament got cancelled I was pretty much right on point.

IU has had some bad basketball players over the past few years, those players are no longer on the roster. IU nabbed one of the top recruiting classes in the BIG10 as well to go with an improved TJD, Phinesee, Hunter ect...

Also, I'm not a perpetually negative person and I'm actually rooting for the team to succeed unlike some here. Obviously Archie/IU need a breakout year this year and based on the roster I think they get it.

I'm also sure that if IU turns it around posters like you and smitty will be nowhere to be found.
Not true. I absolutely hope I’m wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT