ADVERTISEMENT

Shocking news from NY Governor . . .

Yeah I saw that. 66% of their new cases are from people staying at home. Well, this shouldn't be a total shock, considering people who get infected usually share homes with other people. So idk what we thought would happen inside homes with multiple people staying inside them together,

One thing I thought about NYC in particular when their flare up first started is, how much provisions can you actually store in an NYC apartment? I mean, I've got a basement & deep freeze & pantry space for days. I'm not a prepper by any means, but we had enough canned/frozen/dry goods to last a solid month without going to the store if we were really focused on having zero contact with the outside world.

In some place like New York, I can't see any way the average person would be able to avoid semi-regular contact with the outside world, even if just to order food or get groceries while doing their best to isolate.

Reactions: vesuvius13
One thing I thought about NYC in particular when their flare up first started is, how much provisions can you actually store in an NYC apartment? I mean, I've got a basement & deep freeze & pantry space for days. I'm not a prepper by any means, but we had enough canned/frozen/dry goods to last a solid month without going to the store if we were really focused on having zero contact with the outside world.

In some place like New York, I can't see any way the average person would be able to avoid semi-regular contact with the outside world, even if just to order food or get groceries while doing their best to isolate.
The subways there are like petri dishes for the virus.

It was only YESTERDAY when they started to disinfect them. Unbelievable.

The hours were reduced a while back because of increased crime and lower ridership. That decision upset many homeless people who essentially lived on the subways.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

That's not true. Subway cars were being disinfected every 72 hours and "high touch" surfaces were being disinfected twice a day since early March, at an additional cost to the city of $10 mil a month.

They're now shutting the system down every night from 1am - 5am, which is a big deal because even in the wee hours in New York you've got thousands of people, including essential workers, who depend on the system to get to and from their jobs.

That's not true. Subway cars were being disinfected every 72 hours and "high touch" surfaces were being disinfected twice a day since early March, at an additional cost to the city of $10 mil a month.

They're now shutting the system down every night from 1am - 5am, which is a big deal because even in the wee hours in New York you've got thousands of people, including essential workers, who depend on the system to get to and from their jobs.
Yes, you're right - it was being done every 3 days. I wouldn't call that real sanitary, but OK.

Did the NYC subway system run 24 hours a day previously? I didn't think it did.

But they only started doing it every day yesterday. And that's still unbelievable it took them that long

And allowing the homeless to camp out on the trains is also inexplicable.

Appears to be an argument against locking things down ala Michigan and New York.

In favor of work and social situations where social distancing can be employed.

I've felt for some time that air circulation is required in situations where people are isolating at home, nursing homes et al.
Can't argue with that logic!

edit: I'm being sarcastic @vesuvius13

Last edited:
Yes, you're right - it was being done every 3 days. I wouldn't call that real sanitary, but OK.

Did the NYC subway system run 24 hours a day previously? I didn't think it did.

But they only started doing it every day yesterday. And that's still unbelievable it took them that long

And allowing the homeless to camp out on the trains is also inexplicable.

My son, who has traveled all over the world, told me that there are only two subway systems in the world (or at least where he has been!) that run 24/7. NYC and IIRC, Budapest.

I recently visited him in NYC and road the subway a considerable amount of time and I saw no homeless camping out on the trains. Not saying it doesn't happen, I just didn't see it. He lives in Manhattan.

My son, who has traveled all over the world, told me that there are only two subway systems in the world (or at least where he has been!) that run 24/7. NYC and IIRC, Budapest.

I recently visited him in NYC and road the subway a considerable amount of time and I saw no homeless camping out on the trains. Not saying it doesn't happen, I just didn't see it. He lives in Manhattan.
I think the homeless camping out in the subway is a recent result of the epidemic. They've shown it on TV, but it may not be on every line.

I could have sworn when I was in NYC the subway shut down at 1am, but maybe it was just the one line I was on in Manhattan.

I've been stuck in Boston and Paris when the subways shut down - it's not a good feeling.

I think the homeless camping out in the subway is a recent result of the epidemic. They've shown it on TV, but it may not be on every line.

I could have sworn when I was in NYC the subway shut down at 1am, but maybe it was just the one line I was on in Manhattan.

I've been stuck in Boston and Paris when the subways shut down - it's not a good feeling.

It just depends on the line you're talking about. Some lines run 24/7, but others close down during the night. There's no worse feeling than missing the last train of the night on a line that's shutting down until the next morning. :(

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
when most everyone in Manhattan lives in apt or condo buildings, most still all share a lot of tight common areas like halls, stairwells, mailbox area, and probably the worst, elevators.

that said, even if trying to shelter, i'm guessing if Cosmo gets it, Jerry is getting it, and Joey and Chandler are probably giving it to Rachael and Monica.

Most of infections are not coming in Manhattan. Multiple families with elders iving in apartments in densely populated neighborhoods of Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx.

Most of infections are not coming in Manhattan. Multiple families with elders iving in apartments in densely populated neighborhoods of Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx.

makes sense, but significantly skews my concept of "sheltering", if these are examples of what Cuomo was referring to.

especially if not everyone in the household is staying put, or turning away visitors..

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT