ADVERTISEMENT

Sheridan: More like Deboer or Debord?

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
He was Debord's protégé for several years. Learned offense from him and perhaps inhereted some of his tendencies. Young men tend to assimilate the tendencies and philosophies of their early mentors and teachers. He learned much of what he knows from a very learned and experienced veteran.

He did learn under Deboer for exactly one year. Is that enough tutelage? Does he understand the nuances of the system? Remember, an offensive system like Deboer's is more than a collection of plays and formations. It's a philosophy, with tendencies and concepts for every situation.

I know that my first boss and mentor was instrumental in the formation of my business sense and management style I used throughout my career. What will Sheridan lean on or fall back to when the going gets tough? Will he try to emulate Deboer, or will he revert to his mentor Debord's teachings?

It's tough to say because he's never been in the heat calling plays. Never had to dial up a 3rd and long to extend a drive. Never had to call a 4 minute offense to burn clock. Never had to call a game winning drive. I would love to know what CTA saw to make him think he's ready for that.

Nothing beats experience, and 2020 will be his classroom, internship and crucible all in one.

Good luck, kid.

Add to it,he gets thrown into the fire immediately,no time to learn on the job.
We should have a decent shot at Wisconsin with their graduations,transfers and early departures to the draft.
The first game of the year is always a crap shoot anyway.Pull that one out somehow we could have a Minnesota type of year next year.

Add to it,he gets thrown into the fire immediately,no time to learn on the job.
We should have a decent shot at Wisconsin with their graduations,transfers and early departures to the draft.
The first game of the year is always a crap shoot anyway.Pull that one out somehow we could have a Minnesota type of year next year.
The good thing is Wisconsin won't have film on him and they always seem to start slow. If Illinois can beat them, so can we.

I need to warm up to this hire, just not feeling it. There's way too much talent to make a bad hire in this situation.

Allen knows virtually nothing about calling the offense at this level. That was Wilson's problem, only he knew virtually nothing about defense. If you think that Wilson's extreme lack of knowledge from a defensive standpoint didn't cost him a bunch of wins, you're mistaken. He had better talent than the stats indicate, what a fvckin joke.

As successful as next season could potentially be, it probably rides on this hire/promotion. Color me VERY concerned...Oh, hopefully he's more like KD than MD!!!

The good thing is Wisconsin won't have film on him and they always seem to start slow. If Illinois can beat them, so can we.
That's the one good thing about it. Wisconsin going blind as they won't have anything on Sheridans tendencies since he has none. Big gamble though having 2 young inexperienced coordinators.

All TA has to do is win 6 games and he gets an extension, not exactly high expectations.

I need to warm up to this hire, just not feeling it. There's way too much talent to make a bad hire in this situation.

Allen knows virtually nothing about calling the offense at this level. That was Wilson's problem, only he knew virtually nothing about defense. If you think that Wilson's extreme lack of knowledge from a defensive standpoint didn't cost him a bunch of wins, you're mistaken. He had better talent than the stats indicate, what a fvckin joke.

As successful as next season could potentially be, it probably rides on this hire/promotion. Color me VERY concerned...Oh, hopefully he's more like KD than MD!!!
I agree this seems an underwhelming hire, especially given the talent on hand and the fact that the OC job probably hasn’t been this appealing in years. Time will tell, but I was hoping for a big name with experience calling plays. Such is life as an IU football fan.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Let’s not try to hire Joe Moorhead or anything. Just hand the keys to a guy who was the F-ing TE Coach last year. Smh.

Reactions: bang63

Do you really believe that Kevin Wilson does not know anything about defense and then Tom Allen knows nothing about offense. How do you attack a defense if you don’t know what they are trying to do. You have to know is it a spill defense or is it contain. Who are the contain guys who are you spill it to ? Are they a zone or man coverage team. Do they move the front do they stunt? So much more to know. Don’t know how you can attack a defense with out knowing what they are trying to do to you?
As far as trying to stop an offense it same thing. Are they a zone team are they a gap team are they a power team? You have to understand their protection schemes in order to develop the best way to get the quarterback?
You cannot be an effective play caller offensively or defensively with out understanding what teams are trying to do to you.

Maybe he's more like himself, Nick Sheridan.
Of course. In 5 years, Sheridan will be an OC in his own right. But we're talking about 2020 Sheridan.

CTA probably didn't promote him because he's Nick Sheridan the OC and the offensive system he brings. He was promoted, as indicated by CTA during the search, to continue the system installed by Deboer, to the best of his ability and his experience to date as understudy to Deboer and Debord.

He hasn't has the time to develop his own philosophy and play-calling style. In time he will, but not yet.

Of course. In 5 years, Sheridan will be an OC in his own right. But we're talking about 2020 Sheridan.

CTA probably didn't promote him because he's Nick Sheridan the OC and the offensive system he brings. He was promoted, as indicated by CTA during the search, to continue the system installed by Deboer, to the best of his ability and his experience to date as understudy to Deboer and Debord.

He hasn't has the time to develop his own philosophy and play-calling style. In time he will, but not yet.
I agree to certain extent. But I am sure he will add and subtract and tailor to fit him. The sky is falling mentality is typical for IU fans. They know nothing about what has been discussed and I am pretty sure Tom Allen did not put his career in jeopardy just to hire a guy he likes.

I agree to certain extent. But I am sure he will add and subtract and tailor to fit him. The sky is falling mentality is typical for IU fans. They know nothing about what has been discussed and I am pretty sure Tom Allen did not put his career in jeopardy just to hire a guy he likes.
Absolutely.

And like I said, I'd like to know what CTA saw in Sheridan to believe he's ready. Obviously he sees something, but I just don't know. Therefore, I extrapolate based on who he coached under in his career. As a coach, you know this coaching business is all about mentorship and professional development. Virtually no one ascends in a vacuum and on their own merits. It takes years to groom a coach to grow, learn and develop. It doesn't come from thin air. So, I look at his mentors.

Umm, I think Allen is trying to move the program past low level expectations. These low ball outlooks have held this program back for 50 years.
Incremental rewards are acceptable but a 1 year extension each year they win half (or less) of the games is low level to any metric. Keeping his job for going to a bowl is enough reward and if TA turns out to be the great coach most people on here think he is then a contract rework with a raise and extension will be there for him.

The reality is Sheridan is not as good as Debord or Deboer. This is a special level of incompetence that is all his own. People point to Maryland as a "good game" but in that game Maryland dropped three picks. Our biggest gain was on a dropped pick that ended up being a completion. If Maryland was competent we'd have given the other team another 14 points, and no one would say we'd one good game.

The B1G East and IUFB isn't a place to win while gaining experience on the job. Unfortunately coach Allen decided to do that with both coordinators. If coach Sheridan was a better QB coach correcting techniques and making QBs better I might be a bit more patient with him at OC but not really as the poor offense has devastated IUFB. IU can't afford a lackluster offense next season as we will lose a ton of talent on defense.

Replace Hiller and Sheridan and bring in an OC with a track record of dynamic offenses along with the right OL coach with big time experience. Then we could see IU rise to the level of being in the upper tier of the B1G.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4IUSox2 and Euro
The reality is Sheridan is not as good as Debord or Deboer. This is a special level of incompetence that is all his own. People point to Maryland as a "good game" but in that game Maryland dropped three picks. Our biggest gain was on a dropped pick that ended up being a completion. If Maryland was competent we'd have given the other team another 14 points, and no one would say we'd one good game.
Exactly - the score of the Maryland game was as close as it was because a very average Maryland team played really poorly.

Just curious what everyone thinks almost 2 years later....
what I think is what I feared all along: that this offense, minus DeBoer’s play calling and any remaining Wilson-coached offensive linemen, would really struggle to score vs the better defenses in the B1G 10

it’s turned out to be even worse than I feared

Reactions: 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT