ADVERTISEMENT

Shaheen to win in NH.

Democracts don't turn out for midterms...

Need a great ground game. It doesn't matter if you have more voters if they don't go to the poll. Crist would have won handily if he had the same % turnout in South Fl that Scott had statewide. Was non-existent.

What would it take to be a wave?

50 in hand, at least 4 more winnable either tonight or in a runoff. Maybe not a tsunami, but good for surfing.

The House could easily have

more GOP members than anytime since 1929. That sounds like wave to me. No matter who is POTUS in 2017; they will have a GOP house to deal with for at least four and likely 8 years.

Look at what they won.

The Repubs have had a pretty good night winning races in states they are supposed to win.

This is an elastic rebound from a Democratic wave in 2008, not a new wave in itself.

FOX calls Iowa red.

NC will be next. Va stays blue, and no one will stay up for Alaska

Fair enough

And regardless of the final tally I don't want to hear the word "mandate" tomorrow. Get some reasonable legislation passed in the House and Senate and force the President to take a stand.

Tillis appears to beat Hagan going away....

FOX just called it. That's 52.

I'm not sure I buy FNC's anxious calling...

...but there is no way they are wrong about everything. This is going to end with a GOP Senate win, just like we all thought.

UPDATE: CNN just gave NC to Tillis. I got that one way wrong.

GOP going to end up with 53 seats in the Senate.

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES THAT MAKE NOW!

The wave started back when the GOP took over the legislatures in 2010. Like many waves, when they are far out to sea, they aren't so noticable. The wave that started in 2010, continually gained momentum, broke and crashed in 2014.

Baker beats Coakley for MA Governor

Why do the Dems keep running her?

I didn't mean the Senate result

I meant the individual races. I lot didn't go the way most thought.

There was almost no doubt whatsoever the GOP would win the Senate. Which I said before. Repeatedly.

The most encouraging result of the night...

...was Bruce Rauner winning in Illinois.

What he'll be facing in Illinois is, to put it mildly, massive. And he's going to have a heavily Democratic legislature to contend with. But Rauner cited his models as....Scott Walker and our own Mitch Daniels. If that's any indication, he doesn't intend to be a placeholder.

Granted, Pat Quinn is incredibly unpopular. So Rauner's victory shouldn't be too surprising. And, obviously, it's not getting the attention that the Senate horserace is. But it could end up being a lot more meaningful, particularly when juxtaposed with Walker's huge reelection win in Wisconsin. Wisconsin's a bluish purple state. But Illinois is royal, if not midnight, blue.

And for candidates on their kinds of platforms to win, in those kinds of states, is very encouraging to somebody of my worldview.

I'm hoping we'll be hearing and seeing more of Walker in the next couple of years. And I wish Rauner luck...he's gonna need it with the mess he just inherited.

This post was edited on 11/5 12:58 AM by crazed_hoosier2

Anytime this is brought up...

...I'm always quick to point out that the Congressional map in 2006 (and 2008, for that matter) was identical to the map in 2010.

Just sayin....

Yes, handily. What seats idid the Democrats win they were hoping

to win? Let's see, Colorado, nope. Arkansas, nope. North Carolina, nope, yes I would call that handily considering the Democrats lost the three main races thsy had targeted as must wins.. It also seems that more than a few pundirs for the Democrats have called this a wave, Jaun Williams and Joe Trippi just to name two, but what do they know?

Mia Love

wins Utah 4th. Takes down a democratic encumbent. Remember her name. She is very sharp and will be moving up.

Amen to the "mandate" comment

but I'll bet you hear it. Both sides need to learn to win with class and be humble but neither side can find those qualities within themselves.

Well they did win the governor races

in Maryland, Illinois, and Massachusetts, normally Democratic states. But like I've said elsewhere I think it's more voting against the current establishment rather than for Republicans. Neither side seems to be able to figure that out. In 2010 there were quite a few people (some on here) saying the Republican party was dead. Both sides always find a way to drive voters to the other party after winning.

Someone owes me a beer.

It wasn't nearly as close as you thought it would be. Heck, it wasn't as close as I thought it would be.

Really?

What race did they lose?

They even won governor ships in three huge Blue states.

They couldn't of won much more.

Not bad for a party you and Rock have been telling us for two year is dead. LMAO.

It appears they are psychic

Or maybe your distrust got in the way.

Why is a Republican governor in Illinois considered a remarkable thing?

When Rauner takes over the governorship in 2015, the GOP will have held the position in Illinois 31 of the last 45 years. They will have won 8 of the last 12 governor elections. I'm skeptical that Rauner's win has as much to do with "their kinds of platforms" as it does the fact that "Pat Quinn is incredibly unpopular". I'm sure you're hoping it's more the former, but I haven't seen a huge change of political outlook in Illinois.

Meanwhile, there's not much talk about Wolf beating Corbett in PA. I seriously doubt that it's a broad endorsement of Wolf's platform.

GOP Governors in Illinois are hardly unusual...

In fact, if my math is right, the Illinois governor has been a Republican for more than 30 of the last 45 years and they've won 8 of the last 12 elections. Massachusetts seems like a bigger deal to me...although there have been several Republican governors there the last several years. Maryland doesn't strike me as a huge deal either. Each of those races strikes me as a general atmosphere against Democrats with local specifics really deciding the day.

On its own, it isn't.

But a Republican governor who cites the likes of Scott Walker and Mitch Daniels?

In the context of what's been going on in Illinois -- re: public sector unions and their pension shortfalls -- I'd say it's a huge deal.

Let me put it this way: I'm not surprised it was as close as it was, despite how unpopular Quinn was. And therein lies the contrast with Pennsylvania. Corbett was just as unpopular as Quinn -- and was defeated by a margin in keeping with that unpopularity.

When you juxtapose Walker's reelection in bluish Wisconsin (considering his substantial, but controversial, record) and the fact that Rauner pointed to him as a role model in the context of a $100B pension shortfall that Quinn "addressed" with the proverbial BB-fired-at-a-battleship, I'd say it was a pretty big deal.

It'll be interesting to see how Rauner fares. To me, this was the most substantive race in the country.
This post was edited on 11/5 3:30 PM by crazed_hoosier2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT