ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ update, August 2018

Let's not forget that the map is a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional object and the larger the map the greater the distortion. In the greater scheme of things is this hindering recruiting or negatively affecting attendance? Could these be the reason people leave to tailgate at halftime?

video of fans exiting MS at halftime, after being exposed to the state map at midfield for an entire half.

I get a feeling this final enclosure is going to make it really loud in the stadium, even with our typical crowd size. Hopefully we will start filling the place soon and it will be a nightmare for opposing teams to communicate when the place starts rockin'. Still hard for me to believe the difference in MS from ten years earlier.

I'm going to the IUBB game next Friday and plan to swing through the area early to get a look at the stadium before it gets dark. Haven't seen it up close since mid-December. Even more excited to get an inside look at the Spring game.
I expect pics! :D

29uvj20.jpg

1z6jw4.jpg

A reminder, this was taken February 2nd, 2017...they’ve worked their butts off:

Thanks for the update... Can't wait to see the finished product.

Reactions: RBB89
All that and they can't get the state of Indiana logo lined up and centered. Sad.

i didn't even realize the opposite borders on the northern part of the state weren't parallel till this post, so at least it was a learning moment for me.

got me thinking, even if both were straight north south, they still wouldn't be parallel due to the earth being round and not flat. (at least that's what some claim). bwg

we've all had that feeling where something seems a little off, and the OCD in us can't let it go, even if it shouldn't bother us that much. (been there, done that).

the edge of the boundary not being parallel to the yd line marker is that moment for you now.

a flaw in an otherwise perfectly symmetrical grid, that you can't just go down and fix.

had the lines not been so close together, you nor anyone else probably would have noticed... it was the lines being close enough to each other that exposed their non parallelism. (can't believe that's a real word, but spell check didn't flag it).

all that said, kinda like with the wrong font in the end zones with the prior turf, i'm guessing the logo is essentially one with the turf at this point, and couldn't be changed without replacing that section of turf.

next time we replace the turf would be the time to bring this up with someone.. while the current "logo" is technically more accurate, (who knew), perhaps lines that close together being parallel is maybe artistically more pleasant, and won't mess with our phyche.

i never noticed it before, but now that you've planted that seed, (thanks a lot bwg), i probably will now.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Armstrong Stadium and press box renovations/expansion need to be the next projects in the pipeline.

Also, they have started putting up the structural steel skeleton for Wilkinson Hall.

Armstrong Stadium and press box renovations/expansion need to be the next projects in the pipeline.

Also, they have started putting up the structural steel skeleton for Wilkinson Hall.
Armstrong Stadium is definitely on deck. That’s the last announced project of this current capital campaign. I’m surprised they haven’t gotten a lead gift for that, especially with soccer’s success. Of course, it’s possible that they have and they will randomly announce it next Thursday or something.

Golf course will open back up spring 2019.

Reactions: IUgradman
Armstrong Stadium is definitely on deck. That’s the last announced project of this current capital campaign. I’m surprised they haven’t gotten a lead gift for that, especially with soccer’s success. Of course, it’s possible that they have and they will randomly announce it next Thursday or something.

Golf course will open back up spring 2019.
Are they ever going to start on the golf course? They closed it down in mid September for construction but have not done anything yet. I drive by there three or four times a week and always look for some sign but no construction at this point.

Are they ever going to start on the golf course? They closed it down in mid September for construction but have not done anything yet. I drive by there three or four times a week and always look for some sign but no construction at this point.
I’m not very familiar with golf course renovations, but I assume they are waiting for more consistently warmer weather. They’re definitely moving forward because they did a final financial approval (along with the new arena, which is definitely under construction) two weeks ago at the trustees meeting.

Actually, I just did a quick google search, and it says most projects like this are usually done in the summer.

More from first night game, 1982 (Iowa):
Thanks for posting those. I have never seen those construction pics from '59. So odd to look over the east stands and see nothing but the fieldhouse roof and parking lot. I attended some football games and basketball games beginning in 1966 or so but as a kid I really don't remember what the area looked like before construction began on Assembly Hall around 1970
LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

I’m not very familiar with golf course renovations, but I assume they are waiting for more consistently warmer weather. They’re definitely moving forward because they did a final financial approval (along with the new arena, which is definitely under construction) two weeks ago at the trustees meeting.

Actually, I just did a quick google search, and it says most projects like this are usually done in the summer.
Yeah, I'm sure it is true that they are waiting for better weather. Moving a lot dirt when it is this wet is not possible. It just strikes me odd that they shut the golf course down in mid September and then let at least six weeks of great dry weather go by without lifting a shovel. Why did they shut the course down so early? Just a rhetorical question.

Yeah, I'm sure it is true that they are waiting for better weather. Moving a lot dirt when it is this wet is not possible. It just strikes me odd that they shut the golf course down in mid September and then let at least six weeks of great dry weather go by without lifting a shovel. Why did they shut the course down so early? Just a rhetorical question.
Good question. Not sure.

Yeah it’s very strange to not see AH looming over the stands.

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE
Love the bottom photo. Is it also from 1960 or a bit later as the stadium appears completed here. Besides the obvious addition of athletic buildings in the space since this photo, I also notice that it was pre-Briscoe dorm and the widening of 46 to multiple lanes. I would love to see a comparison with the current facilities from the same vantage point. As always, thanks for posting these.

Reactions: ESalum86 and RBB89
Love the bottom photo. Is it also from 1960 or a bit later as the stadium appears completed here. Besides the obvious addition of athletic buildings in the space since this photo, I also notice that it was pre-Briscoe dorm and the widening of 46 to multiple lanes. I would love to see a comparison with the current facilities from the same vantage point. As always, thanks for posting these.
Yep the bottom pic is from 1962.

You must’ve woken them up...first bid package is now posted:

http://distribution.easternengineering.com/Job_Details/20165059 NTB.pdf

Reactions: Walt542
IIRC, the first few night games were done with portable lighting for television. The permanent lights came later.

trashing the current course instead of renovating it, is an abomination.

could have been flat out incredible, and a destination course.

the new course won't even come close to how great the current course could be once you added bunkers, some water, premium grass, and thinned out the trees some lining many of the fairways.

could have been the nicest course in Indiana easy.

trashing the current course instead of renovating it, is an abomination.

could have been flat out incredible, and a destination course.

the new course won't even come close to how great the current course could be once you added bunkers, some water, premium grass, and thinned out the trees some lining many of the fairways.

could have been the nicest course in Indiana easy.
Well, I don’t necessarily agree. There was very little undulations in the fairways and none in the greens. In addition to water (absolutely required) and lots of interesting bunkers they would have needed to build a lot more interest in the fairways and add some well needed length as well as rebuilding all the greens.

How do you know the new design won’t come close? Let’s let them get it in and play it a few times before we make that decision. With that said, I did talk with Sam Charmichel about it and he is also skeptical. ;)

Well, I don’t necessarily agree. There was very little undulations in the fairways and none in the greens. In addition to water (absolutely required) and lots of interesting bunkers they would have needed to build a lot more interest in the fairways and add some well needed length as well as rebuilding all the greens.

How do you know the new design won’t come close? Let’s let them get it in and play it a few times before we make that decision. With that said, I did talk with Sam Charmichel about it and he is also skeptical. ;)

lots of great courses don't have undulating greens, (most with smaller greens don't), and building in undulation on the fairways is unnecessary since it's already as rolling as it is.

that said, you could still rebuild the greens and contour the fairways if you wished and still keep the same current layout. i just don't think it would add all that much.

as for length, it's already as long as Pebble Beach, and several places you can add length with the current layout.

and again, unlike the other athletic facilities, the golf course will be primarily used by students, faculty, alumni, townspeople, visitors to the city and university.. it doesn't need to be 7600 yrds.

nobody in the B10, or cold weather regions in general, is hosting a lot of collegiate events at their campus course.

the current course is carved out of a hardwood forest.. not many of those around, and they ain't makin em any more.

tons of newer style formula courses everywhere though, including central Indiana, and they all look just the same.

no doubt they can plow under the current course and build a nice course in it's place.

it just won't be anywhere near what the current course could be.

the current course could be "the" destination public course in the state, and even beyond.

like i've said before, the current course has not one fairway trap on the entire course, not one water feature, nor any premium grass what so ever on the fairways or tees. ( i actually prefer non bent grass tees, but that's not relevant to the debate).

you take the already incredible beauty and charm of the current layout, add needed trapping for both playability and the visuals and framing it does, premium grass, and thin out the trees lining the fairways now some, and you'll have the nicest course around by far, one that can't be duplicated, and a much different playing experience than the many other nice courses around.

it would also mirror the beauty of the wooded campus as well, as it does now.

i have absolutely no idea why they would even consider trashing the current course, when it could be so great. that's just insane to me.

More from first night game, 1982 (Syracuse):

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE
I kind of remember that game. Sophomore year at Briscoe, well along on my drunken, checkered academic career. Mainly, I remember having all day to drink, and then once at the game, the fantastic realization that everyone else was drunk too! (or so it seemed).

lots of great courses don't have undulating greens, (most with smaller greens don't), and building in undulation on the fairways is unnecessary since it's already as rolling as it is.

that said, you could still rebuild the greens and contour the fairways if you wished and still keep the same current layout. i just don't think it would add all that much.

as for length, it's already as long as Pebble Beach, and several places you can add length with the current layout.

and again, unlike the other athletic facilities, the golf course will be primarily used by students, faculty, alumni, townspeople, visitors to the city and university.. it doesn't need to be 7600 yrds.

nobody in the B10, or cold weather regions in general, is hosting a lot of collegiate events at their campus course.

the current course is carved out of a hardwood forest.. not many of those around, and they ain't makin em any more.

tons of newer style formula courses everywhere though, including central Indiana, and they all look just the same.

no doubt they can plow under the current course and build a nice course in it's place.

it just won't be anywhere near what the current course could be.

the current course could be "the" destination public course in the state, and even beyond.

like i've said before, the current course has not one fairway trap on the entire course, not one water feature, nor any premium grass what so ever on the fairways or tees. ( i actually prefer non bent grass tees, but that's not relevant to the debate).

you take the already incredible beauty and charm of the current layout, add needed trapping for both playability and the visuals and framing it does, premium grass, and thin out the trees lining the fairways now some, and you'll have the nicest course around by far, one that can't be duplicated, and a much different playing experience than the many other nice courses around.

it would also mirror the beauty of the wooded campus as well, as it does now.

i have absolutely no idea why they would even consider trashing the current course, when it could be so great. that's just insane to me.
Well I certainly agree with you about the trees. They of course would need to clean up all the dead ash trees that liter the course but all the dogwoods and red buds are beautiful in the spring.

Personally I would think the greens would need to be redone and as you say they would have to add bunkers and water just to make it an acceptable course.

I’m not convinced the layout is all that good but that’s just an opinion by one player. Making it a course that is comparable to Purdue or OSU would be difficult but I’m certainly no golf course architect.

I like the other work that I have seen from this guy so I’m hopeful. I heard a rumor that they were going to take down most of the trees which would be sad, but I don’t believe it. There is a mandate on the Bloomington campus that they replant a new tree for every tree they remove in construction. Stripping the trees off the golf course does not fit with the ideals of this campus.

My main hope is for them to end up with a high quality course in Bloomington as there are none now. I spent 12 years in Fort Wayne and was a member at Sycamore Hills and became spoiled by that course and the plethora of other great courses in the area. There are no good golf courses in the Bloomington area.

Anyway, I don’t make the decisions so all I can do is wait it out and see what they end up with.

Well I certainly agree with you about the trees. They of course would need to clean up all the dead ash trees that liter the course but all the dogwoods and red buds are beautiful in the spring.

Personally I would think the greens would need to be redone and as you say they would have to add bunkers and water just to make it an acceptable course.

I’m not convinced the layout is all that good but that’s just an opinion by one player. Making it a course that is comparable to Purdue or OSU would be difficult but I’m certainly no golf course architect.

I like the other work that I have seen from this guy so I’m hopeful. I heard a rumor that they were going to take down most of the trees which would be sad, but I don’t believe it. There is a mandate on the Bloomington campus that they replant a new tree for every tree they remove in construction. Stripping the trees off the golf course does not fit with the ideals of this campus.

My main hope is for them to end up with a high quality course in Bloomington as there are none now. I spent 12 years in Fort Wayne and was a member at Sycamore Hills and became spoiled by that course and the plethora of other great courses in the area. There are no good golf courses in the Bloomington area.

Anyway, I don’t make the decisions so all I can do is wait it out and see what they end up with.
“The course also will be revitalized by returning part of the current course to native landscape, including the addition of about 70 acres of new trees, shrubs and other plantings to replace and augment dead or diseased trees.”

Click on STORY LINKS to see the hole by hole layout of the new course...

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/10/...-approves-golf-course-renovation-designs.aspx

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT