ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ update, August 2018

In addition to the new video board, a ribbon board will be placed above the window at field level, with the play clock moving a little lower, like in the north end zone. Obviously the temporary scoreboard will be gone.

10xyq11.jpg

Reactions: CC Mac
In addition to the new video board, a ribbon board will be placed above the window at field level, with the play clock moving a little lower, like in the north end zone. Obviously the temporary scoreboard will be gone.

10xyq11.jpg

that's really bad news about another ribbon board.

hate that ribbon board.

a big negative to the stadium's atmosphere.

Reactions: Chriselli and 76-1
Don’t look at it then.

the entire design concept behind ribbon boards, is to insure they can't be ignored, even by those desperately wishing to ignore them.

they are the definition of gaudy, taken to a whole nother level..

classes down the place.

i'm guessing in private, you're probably not a fan either

Reactions: 76-1
They need the advertising revenue.

no they don't.

that's not even chump change.

and why intentionally fk up something you just spent so much time and effort and money trying to improve and beautify?

how bout a couple oversized ribbon boards on the Sample Gates as well.

that could bring in a few ad dollars as well, and be utilized 365 days a yr, instead of 6 or 7..

Reactions: farfan and 76-1
no they don't.

that's not even chump change.

and why intentionally fk up something you just spent so much time and effort and money trying to improve and beautify?

how bout a couple oversized ribbon boards on the Sample Gates as well.

that could bring in a few ad dollars as well, and be utilized 365 days a yr, instead of 6 or 7..

Face it, we're dinosaurs ;)

Some don't appreciate that less is often more...:cool:

2006-present

Overall:

2m3ibh3.jpg

1zdvhah.jpg

6r3brs.jpg

South End Zone:

no82zp.jpg

North End Zone:

okss5y.jpg

West Side:

20qn9cw.jpg

East Side:

ih2psi.jpg

Concessions and restrooms will be improved this offseason as well.

Reactions: 76-1 and MrBing
Now we need to see a comparison to other stadiums.
Why? We know what we have, we know who we are, and we know how far we have come. You can see virtually any college stadium you want with a simple Google search. If you just want to be a wet blanket, feel free to find another program that meets your expectations.

Some of us here appreciate the process and the progress. If you think we are going to be OSU next year or even in the next decade you are going to be permanently disappointed.

Why? We know what we have, we know who we are, and we know how far we have come. You can see virtually any college stadium you want with a simple Google search. If you just want to be a wet blanket, feel free to find another program that meets your expectations.

Some of us here appreciate the process and the progress. If you think we are going to be OSU next year or even in the next decade you are going to be permanently disappointed.

Nope. This will do.
I don’t know who you’re responding to, as I have them on ignore, but anyone complaining about our facilities is a tool. I follow this stuff pretty closely, and what we are going to have is pretty impressive regardless of the school. It’s a never ending arms race and we need to continue to regularly invest, but what we have isn’t just good “for Indiana,” it’s good for most schools. Hell, just our new rehab and nutrition areas are going to be better than pretty much anyone in the country at the moment. And yes, I’ve done the research because I’m interested in this stuff.

With that said, I’m just going to stick to posting this on the premium board from now on. I’m tired of my threads getting hijacked. Somebody else can do it if they want.

Reactions: MaxCoke
I know you’ve posted this several times, but the logo is accurate.

You must not have sat anywhere directly lined up with the Fifty yard line anytime in the past few years, either that or you're simply a liar.

You must not have sat anywhere directly lined up with the Fifty yard line anytime in the past few years, either that or you're simply a liar.

And that slightly askew look is in fact correct, the east and west borders of Indiana are not parallel

Reactions: MrBing
And that slightly askew look is in fact correct, the east and west borders of Indiana are not parallel

And what idiot would create a "logo" without parallel sides that would be presented to the public with its center lined up on a straight line (the 50) and bordered by two parallel lines (the 45's)...

It looks like hell if you're sitting anywhere within the 40's on the West side of the stadium and anyone with half a brain would recognize that and fix it.

Just because someone technically projected the map correctly doesn't it make a proper logo...

A logo is all about its best advertising appearances not its accuracy to the foot...

Last edited:
Why on Earth would you accuse someone of lying about the accuracy of a graphic on a football field? Who would really lie about something like that? They may be incorrect, but what incentive would someone have to lie about that? And I don't know where you grew up, but I would be extremely certain someone was lying before I ever publicly called someone a liar. What is happening to this country?

Reactions: MrBing and mk23
Why on Earth would you accuse someone of lying about the accuracy of a graphic on a football field? Who would really lie about something like that? They may be incorrect, but what incentive would someone have to lie about that? And I don't know where you grew up, but I would be extremely certain someone was lying before I ever publicly called someone a liar. What is happening to this country?

Well the same fellow inferred that I was both a Nazi and a racist simply because he disagrees with me on the WC and then came back over here and tried to act friendly immediately after doing so up above... (see the No Worries and the Better posts...)

We had discussed the topic before and he knows that as a "logo" it is incorrectly aligned therefore given our prior interaction (on the WC) I have no problem calling him pretty much anything...

Hope that clears things up for you...

Forgot to add Chriselli, the guy is a known apologist for the Athletic Department in all things right wrong or indifferent.

Forgot to add Chriselli, the guy is a known apologist for the Athletic Department in all things right wrong or indifferent.
I sit between the 40's on the west side. Not only does the logo not bother me, I've never even noticed it being out of synch. Personal preference I suppose, and I'm not an advertising guy, but I suspect you are much more distressed about it than 99% of the folks sitting in the stadium every Saturday.

Same with the ribbon board, same with the helmets and uniforms, same with the songs the band plays. I go to see football. The rest of the stuff is incidental to me. I have my likes and dislikes (despise "Back Home Again in Indiana") but I can live with those things and accept that others don't feel the same. I love that our stadium now looks like a real Power 5 stadium should look. That's a huge step as far as I'm concerned. I don't have to like everything about it to appreciate the improvement.

I sit between the 40's on the west side. Not only does the logo not bother me, I've never even noticed it being out of synch. Personal preference I suppose, and I'm not an advertising guy, but I suspect you are much more distressed about it than 99% of the folks sitting in the stadium every Saturday.

Same with the ribbon board, same with the helmets and uniforms, same with the songs the band plays. I go to see football. The rest of the stuff is incidental to me. I have my likes and dislikes (despise "Back Home Again in Indiana") but I can live with those things and accept that others don't feel the same. I love that our stadium now looks like a real Power 5 stadium should look. That's a huge step as far as I'm concerned. I don't have to like everything about it to appreciate the improvement.

To each his own. I love most of what they've done with the stadium.

As far as the logo goes, I've heard at least six other IU fans sitting within earshot of our area mention how odd it looked (without any prompting by me) and at least four opponents sitting directly behind me make fun of it.

My thought is simply this: if you're going to spend millions in stadium upgrades (and they look good) why go half..s and not have a symmetrical logo that opponents can't make fun of...

Feel the same way about using a hundred plus year old lullaby, from a 46 year old movie, that was originally meant to honor a coach that was fired 14 years ago (and didn't sound that great even then), same thing with the Kentucky Fried Chicken uniforms (hell, they're lucky the University wasn't sued for copyright infringement on most of that goofy looking crap). At least, we fixed that...

Now I get there prior to warmups and often stay till well after the game so maybe I notice this stuff more because of that (the logo imbalance really stands out with no one on the field). All I do know for sure is that all three of the things that bother me affect how our team (rightly or wrongly) is precieved by others with no existing affiliation to the team or the university, and not in a positive way. They allow others to make fun of all the hard work both the team and the school have put into to reaching this point and there's simply no good reason for it.

Spending millions on other upgrades and not springing for hundreds on an easy fix is odd in the extreme and when it affects our "brand" presentation every time the TV camera centers up on the 50 yard line and not fixing it is in my way of thinking, foolish to the extreme!

Now I'm glad it doesn't bother you; it does bother me, a lot, that it doesn't bother Fred Glass, who's supposed to be protecting and presenting the INDIANA brand in the best possible way at all times.

I always thought attention to detail was supposed to be one of Freds strengths but I guess that must only go for the basketball program...

Last edited:
By the way, I'm with you on "Back Home Again in Indiana".

That was an odd appropriation of a pu tradition that even with our being "the" Indiana University doesn't seem a good fit (simply because it has the prominent line about "moonlight along the Wabash").

There is an easy fix even for that however: simply insert "moonlight along the Jordan" rather than Wabash and it would make some sense...

We as fans could solve that one if Fred won't by simply over singing that line with either "moonlight on the Jordan" or simply shouting "on the Jordan"...

Personally, I'd just let pu keep it...

Neither "Back Home Again" nor the state song "On The Banks of the Wabash" have any direct connection to Purdue. The guy who wrote "On the Banks of the Wabash" was from Terre Haute and the Indiana guy involved in "Back Home Again" was from Rensselaer.

Back Home Again was much more famous as an uptempo jazz standard (that Louis Armstrong played all the time) before they started singing it at the Indy 500.

Just because the Purdue band plays it at the 500 and the Wabash flows through Lafayette doesn't mean it's a "Purdue thing".

Reactions: MrBing
Back Home Again in Indiana is the song orginally being discussed. It has been played prior to every Bucket game I've ever been to up at pu over a 55 period in my personal recollection and only recently here at our venue.

Now my thought about it is if we are going to use it then simply make it our own and use "moonlight on the JORDAN" rather than Wabash...

Seems a simple fix but given that we are still using a Dinardo era tune to introduce the Defense and can't get the state "Logo" (as in logo, not map) lined up and centered between the 45's I highly doubt that any concerns about tweaking "Back Home Again in Indiana will be addressed...

2006-present

Overall:

2m3ibh3.jpg

1zdvhah.jpg

6r3brs.jpg

South End Zone:

no82zp.jpg

North End Zone:

okss5y.jpg

West Side:

20qn9cw.jpg

East Side:

ih2psi.jpg

Concessions and restrooms will be improved this offseason as well.

Love viewing the older pictures to remind me of how much the university has developed the stadium over the last 12 or so years. We have come a long way in a short period of time. #TV$$$$

Nicely stated, OC77. I too may not always embrace all these kinds of things, but we are undeniably making strides improving the atmosphere, the stadium, the look and feel of things. What ultimately matters is the quality of the product on the field, and that seems to be headed in a positive direction.

To each his own. I love most of what they've done with the stadium.

As far as the logo goes, I've heard at least six other IU fans sitting within earshot of our area mention how odd it looked (without any prompting by me) and at least four opponents sitting directly behind me make fun of it.

My thought is simply this: if you're going to spend millions in stadium upgrades (and they look good) why go half..s and not have a symmetrical logo that opponents can't make fun of...

Feel the same way about using a hundred plus year old lullaby, from a 46 year old movie, that was originally meant to honor a coach that was fired 14 years ago (and didn't sound that great even then), same thing with the Kentucky Fried Chicken uniforms (hell, they're lucky the University wasn't sued for copyright infringement on most of that goofy looking crap). At least, we fixed that...

Now I get there prior to warmups and often stay till well after the game so maybe I notice this stuff more because of that (the logo imbalance really stands out with no one on the field). All I do know for sure is that all three of the things that bother me affect how our team (rightly or wrongly) is precieved by others with no existing affiliation to the team or the university, and not in a positive way. They allow others to make fun of all the hard work both the team and the school have put into to reaching this point and there's simply no good reason for it.

Spending millions on other upgrades and not springing for hundreds on an easy fix is odd in the extreme and when it affects our "brand" presentation every time the TV camera centers up on the 50 yard line and not fixing it is in my way of thinking, foolish to the extreme!

Now I'm glad it doesn't bother you; it does bother me, a lot, that it doesn't bother Fred Glass, who's supposed to be protecting and presenting the INDIANA brand in the best possible way at all times.

I always thought attention to detail was supposed to be one of Freds strengths but I guess that must only go for the basketball program...
Well really it is too bad these little things bother you so much. I’ve had tickets for many years and have NEVER noticed the logo thing you think people are making fun of.

And why would you pay any attention of anything someone else is “making fun of” ? People that belittle things like that are just trying to boost their own low self esteem. You should feel sorry for them that they have to dig that low to make themselves feel better.

Of course I also love it when they sing Back Home Again In Indiana. I love my state.

Exactly. I can’t stand half of what the band plays, and the lighting in 75% of the stadium is terrible, but that doesn’t mean that the stadium doesn’t look about 500% better than it used to. Most people don’t care about the band anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23
This is the dumbest digression in the history of this board. There is nothing wrong with the logo. Indiana is not a perfect square, so no matter where you place it, you’re going to have a wider side. In addition, the western border is not a straight line at a 90° angle. It heads slightly east as you go up the border. This is dumb. I’m tired of this. Pointing out geographical/cartographical features isn’t being an apologist for the IU AD.

sqiope.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT