ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ update, August 2018

Question for anyone that has been by the stadium recently

What is the material used on the 2 "towers" on either side of the main entrance to the SEZ? It doesn't look like glass, is it some sort of metal mesh/patterned cutout? Would make sense if they were wanting to have substance to the structure while maintaining airflow to the stairs
I was wondering the same thing. I got up pretty close but couldn’t really tell:

C1173E6C-E823-4087-ACD3-C7D1A5A04052.jpeg.69c2b4028186eee3d092ecafc27f0b47.jpeg

I am more curious of what looks like actual limestone blocks on that inner square "arch" entry. Looks beautiful.

Reactions: RBB89
I was wondering the same thing. I got up pretty close but couldn’t really tell:

C1173E6C-E823-4087-ACD3-C7D1A5A04052.jpeg.69c2b4028186eee3d092ecafc27f0b47.jpeg

I was hoping the black shown in the renderings would not be accurate. Looks very 80s. Wish they would have kept the aqua-hued glass of the NEZ.

walkways over the street would be nice

imo no one would use them.

as to stopping traffic to let pedestrians cross 17th, does the car stopped not catch up to the car that was in front of them anyway, at the other bottlenecks?

Last edited:
Are you pretending to be a cranky old bastage?

if you love the ribbon boards so much, perhaps you should propose we put some on the Sample Gates, on the bell tower of the Student Building, above the entrances of the Lilly Library, Auditorium, and Fine Arts Bldgs surrounding Showalter Fountain, and both the north and south faces of the monolith portion of the Union Bldg.

why not class up the entire campus with these beauties?

they would look about as appropriate in all these other places, as they do in MS.

and can we please also get rid of the "crowd shot" mural covering the window of the weight room that looks onto the field. that thing looks ridiculous.

if you love the ribbon boards so much, perhaps you should propose we put some on the Sample Gates, on the bell tower of the Student Building, above the entrances of the Lilly Library, Auditorium, and Fine Arts Bldgs surrounding Showalter Fountain, and both the north and south faces of the monolith portion of the Union Bldg.

why not class up the entire campus with these beauties?

they would look about as appropriate in all these other places, as they do in MS.

and can we please also get rid of the "crowd shot" mural covering the window of the weight room that looks onto the field. that thing looks ridiculous.
There is a place for everything. A stadium is a great place for ribbon boards but your other suggestions are not.

The stadium is looking great and I can't wait to see a game in it this season. I bet the ribbon boards will look awesome too!

I like that mural too. You really are a grumpy old man.

There is a place for everything. A stadium is a great place for ribbon boards but your other suggestions are not.

The stadium is looking great and I can't wait to see a game in it this season. I bet the ribbon boards will look awesome too!

I like that mural too. You really are a grumpy old man.

and why is the stadium such a great place, and not the others?

the ribbon boards are just as gaudy and out of place there, as the other locations i mentioned.

and the crowd scene mural is absolutely ridiculous looking.

there's a good reason other stadiums don't have one of those murals on their walls separating the stands from the field.

The athletics department needs all the money it can get. Many big time stadiums have ribbon boards. I think they add a touch of flash and modernity to the structure.

Reactions: MrBing

the ribbon boards are just as gaudy and out of place there, as the other locations i mentioned.

there's a good reason other stadiums don't have one of those murals on their walls separating the stands from the field.

I agree with you, grumpy old man. The stadium looks great overall, but those are two unwelcome distractions.

Last edited:

How about the lights and flush toilets?

Are you serious? Nearly all sports stadiums and arenas have ribbon boards and they belong there to provide information to the fans at the stadium. Are you like 90? It seems you hate everything that didn't exist 70 years ago. You are very cranky.

I agree with you, grump old man. The stadium looks great overall, but those are two unwelcome distractions.
You haven't been paying attention to the grumpy old man. He doesn't like much of anything about the new parts of the stadium. He also thinks improving the golf course is ruining it.

Reactions: IUgradman
You haven't been paying attention to the grumpy old man. He doesn't like much of anything about the new parts of the stadium. He also thinks improving the golf course is ruining it.

I just agree with him on ribbons and the mural he was talking about.....not the other things

Flush toilets ruined the stadium. We should have installed outhouses all around the stadium. It would be classic.

Nothing wrong with the good old-fashioned communal pee. Definitely some of the best wisecracks anywhere........

Well here's a positive: at least we didn't go Italian and just stick a hole in floor with a couple of footprints in front of it...
Probably a money saver but...

Flush toilets ruined the stadium. We should have installed outhouses all around the stadium. It would be classic.
Do they still have the troughs? I only made it to one game last year (tO$U) and can't recall one way or the other... hell to get old...

Do they still have the troughs? I only made it to one game last year (tO$U) and can't recall one way or the other... hell to get old...
They’re being phased out. The new ADA restrooms on the east and west sides have urinals, the NEZ restrooms have urinals, and the the SEZ restrooms will have urinals.

OMG A WINDOW MURAL!!!

2ujrp69.jpg

It’s a field level decoration. Like at every stadium in the country. We happen to have glass instead of bricks or padding.

There are ribbon boards at every stadium in the country. They show stats. Unless you are a four-year-old, there’s no way they should distract you. Don’t look at them. If IGW ran our athletic department, can you imagine what our facilities would look like? Concrete! Rusty bleachers! Dead trees!

they never should have torn down the old MS.

should have kept it for either little 5 or soccer. (preferably soccer).

the arboretum is nice and all, but the campus lost something major when the last of IU athletics left the walking part of campus completely.

even seeing the bike riders practicing on the track in spring when you walked the sidewalk from 7th to 10th back in the day lent something really nice that is now lost, after the fball team left for 17th st in 1960.

looking into the open end of the horseshoe and seeing the soccer team practicing and playing there today would have been a major plus for both the atmosphere of that part of campus, and the soccer team itself, which would have gained a lot of exposure.

on a side not, very interesting pic.

note the north south road between the east end of the stadium and Jordan Ave, that Jordan doesn't line up north and south of 10th, the trailer ct west of the stadium, (married housing i think maybe. seem to recall reading that George Taliaferro lived there), the bustling entry into Wright Quad, and if you click the pic to enlarge, looks like the football team may be practicing on the east practice field south of the stadium.

nothing north of 10th st. wonder what yr that pic is. (and looks like parking/congestion may have been an issue back then as well).

Last edited:
they never should have torn down the old MS.

should have kept it for either little 5 or soccer. (preferably soccer).
I understand the sentiment and wouldn't totally disagree. IIRC, it literally had to be shored up with wooden supports the last couple years of Little 500 for fear of it collapsing. There wasn't anything left for them to keep. It had to come down, and rebuilding it for nostalgia's sake wasn't going to happen. Time marches on.

Reactions: RBB89
I understand the sentiment and wouldn't totally disagree. IIRC, it literally had to be shored up with wooden supports the last couple years of Little 500 for fear of it collapsing. There wasn't anything left for them to keep. It had to come down, and rebuilding it for nostalgia's sake wasn't going to happen. Time marches on.
Oh yeah it was literally falling apart. Too small, no parking, etc.

all old structures need repairs. IU renovates structures older than that all the time.

no doubt needed fixing, but i don't buy that it couldn't be done.

"too expensive" is political speak for, "the administration doesn't want to do it".

was a huge mistake imo not to fix that up, and move soccer into there.

everybody walking between 7th to 10th looking into the open end of the horseshoe watching soccer practice and play, would have added both a ton of cool factor atmosphere to that part of campus, and exposure to the soccer team.

Speaking of dead trees...

When is Fred gonna give up on saving those Hard Maples lining the near west side of the stadium...?

They used to be beautiful in the "90's" but for reasons natural or unnatural (absolutely unhinged opposing fans ??), they are literally one half to two thirds dead...

With all the other fresh landscaping replacements seem in order...

The athletics department needs all the money it can get. Many big time stadiums have ribbon boards. I think they add a touch of flash and modernity to the structure.

that's the thing.

IU doesn't need that money, and whatever chickenfeed incremental revenue the ribbon boards bring in is barley even recognizable in IU's sports revenue budget.

but at least you acknowledge it's really about the ad money.

those ribbon boards look totally out of place in MS, just as they would on any of the classic bldgs on campus or Sample Gates.

like i said, they class down the place big time. and for what, an extra .00001% of revenue?

everybody at IU, students, faculty, alumni, would have a sht fit if IU put up those things around campus, and sold ads on them.

but something about sports fans that make them blind sheep to anything and everything, no matter how ridiculous looking or inappropriate.

that's the thing.

IU doesn't need that money, and whatever chickenfeed incremental revenue the ribbon boards bring in is barley even recognizable in IU's sports revenue budget.

but at least you acknowledge it's really about the ad money.

those ribbon boards look totally out of place in MS, just as they would on any of the classic bldgs on campus or Sample Gates.

like i said, they class down the place big time. and for what, an extra .00001% of revenue?

everybody at IU, students, faculty, alumni, would have a sht fit if IU put up those things around campus, and sold ads on them.

but something about sports fans that make them blind sheep to anything and everything, no matter how ridiculous looking or inappropriate.

Hey...! Who you calling a blind sheep?!?!

Damn! Bumped my knee on that desk again..., if I could just see where I was going... ;):cool::D

OMG A WINDOW MURAL!!!

2ujrp69.jpg

It’s a field level decoration. Like at every stadium in the country. We happen to have glass instead of bricks or padding.

LMAO,

really? that's the best comparison you could find?

we're not talking about a mural with a big IU Hoosiers logo. (which would be the equivalent to the Razorback one).

we're talking the cartoonish wtf looking crowd seen.

all old structures need repairs. IU renovates structures older than that all the time.

no doubt needed fixing, but i don't buy that it couldn't be done.

"too expensive" is political speak for, "the administration doesn't want to do it".

was a huge mistake imo not to fix that up, and move soccer into there.

everybody walking between 7th to 10th looking into the open end of the horseshoe watching soccer practice and play, would have added both a ton of cool factor atmosphere to that part of campus, and exposure to the soccer team.

When the 10th St stadium was torn down in 1981, it was not at all apparent what IU's soccer program was going to become. This was just a few years removed from the athletic department not funding the soccer team's first final four appearance (it was funded through private donations). It would have been ludicrous at the time to spend huge money to renovate the stadium, and would have required a crystal ball of epic proportions. It was pretty impressive that IU built Armstrong Stadium for such a fledgling team (in a sport that was thought to be a fad nationally) and a once a year intramural event. And the cost of Armstrong would have been a tiny fraction of what would have been needed for the 10th street stadium renovation. Plus, this forethought would have also needed to extend back to before the soccer program was a varsity sport at IU, when it was decided not to maintain the stadium, which allowed it to fall into such disrepair. Deferred maintenance can easily increase the cost of repairs 3-4 fold.

When the 10th St stadium was torn down in 1981, it was not at all apparent what IU's soccer program was going to become. This was just a few years removed from the athletic department not funding the soccer team's first final four appearance (it was funded through private donations). It would have been ludicrous at the time to spend huge money to renovate the stadium, and would have required a crystal ball of epic proportions. It was pretty impressive that IU built Armstrong Stadium for such a fledgling team (in a sport that was thought to be a fad nationally) and a once a year intramural event. And the cost of Armstrong would have been a tiny fraction of what would have been needed for the 10th street stadium renovation. Plus, this forethought would have also needed to extend back to before the soccer program was a varsity sport at IU, when it was decided not to maintain the stadium, which allowed it to fall into such disrepair. Deferred maintenance can easily increase the cost of repairs 3-4 fold.

no offense to Armstrong, but that venue isn't even in the same galaxy as what a renovated 10th st stadium would have been, in addition to the fact that Armstrong is out of site, out of mind, while the old stadium was on by then a bustling part of the main campus.

none of us know the real numbers on renovating the stadium.

and those numbers get skewed depending on whether those coming up with them want the project or don't want it.

like i said, "too expensive" is political speak for , "we don't want to do it".

and tearing it down and contouring/landscaping that area had a cost too.

they knew in 81 that soccer was a growing thing.

that said, my post wasn't about just what renovating 10th st MS would do for soccer, but also, probably moreso, what it would have done for that section of campus.

the "cool fact" of the arboretum pales in comparison to the cool factor of walking between 7th and 10th and looking into to open end of the horseshoe, and seeing athletic teams practicing/playing in there.

if you didn't go to IU back when even just the bikers practiced in there every spring, you'll never get what i'm talking about, because you'll never have the point of reference of walking past and looking into the open end of the horseshoe.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT