ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ update, August 2018

I’m a big fan of the IU logo on the back of the new video board. Looks sharp. Also, really glad to see marching hundred hall up and running (and congrats to them on raising $12,000+ today for new instruments)...

2utn6fs.jpg

Reactions: CC Mac
I was at that graduation ceremony on Saturday. The stadium looks GREAT! You cannot imagine how big that video screen is. The pictures do not do it justice.

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
A couple nice shots from field level. In the top pic, the edge turf will be removed for matching reddish track, and there is a cutout for another door when the new locker room is finished. Note the newly painted concrete to match the existing stadium.

281escy.jpg

Reactions: ESalum86
A couple nice shots from field level. In the top pic, the edge turf will be removed for matching reddish track, and there is a cutout for another door when the new locker room is finished. Note the newly painted concrete to match the existing stadium.

281escy.jpg

I am still torn over one issue.

With our concrete-colored concrete stands, the stadium looks REALLY EMPTY any time there is no sell out. A BAD look on TV. A bad message. A ding to the "brand."

Here is a pic of a crowd that fills about half of the east stands at IU:

IU.png

Here is a pic of a crowd at Louisville, also with about half the stands full, but a background of red seats:
15968629_G.jpg

Our game looks like "nobody there - nobody cares"
Theirs looks a lot less bad.

BUT, in my heart, I want our stadium FULL on game day so it doesn't matter what the color is behind the fans, and "candy striped" when empty - because THAT is the best IU brand around. Show ANYBODY ANYWHERE some candy-stripe warm ups and they KNOW - "that's IU." Imagine this with alternating crimson/white paint under the seats, i.e. "candy-striped Memorial Stadium":

sports_sm_memstad1001.jpg

Can't have everything.

I am still torn over one issue.

With our concrete-colored concrete stands, the stadium looks REALLY EMPTY any time there is no sell out. A BAD look on TV. A bad message. A ding to the "brand."

Here is a pic of a crowd that fills about half of the east stands at IU:

IU.png

Here is a pic of a crowd at Louisville, also with about half the stands full, but a background of red seats:
15968629_G.jpg

Our game looks like "nobody there - nobody cares"
Theirs looks a lot less bad.

BUT, in my heart, I want our stadium FULL on game day so it doesn't matter what the color is behind the fans, and "candy striped" when empty - because THAT is the best IU brand around. Show ANYBODY ANYWHERE some candy-stripe warm ups and they KNOW - "that's IU." Imagine this with alternating crimson/white paint under the seats, i.e. "candy-striped Memorial Stadium":

sports_sm_memstad1001.jpg

Can't have everything.

Except if you painted every row under the seats you'e have horizontal stripes........now if you alternated sections you could get a vertical striped look......give me the paint, enough brushes, $100,000 and 1 year, and I'll get er done.

Reactions: RBB89
Except if you painted every row under the seats you'e have horizontal stripes........now if you alternated sections you could get a vertical striped look......give me the paint, enough brushes, $100,000 and 1 year, and I'll get er done.

That's why I'm torn.

If you paint it candy-striped, you still have half the stadium looking stark white empty.

That's why I'm torn.

If you paint it candy-striped, you still have half the stadium looking stark white empty.
I just think there’s several better uses of that type of money. They will power wash the stands/concrete late summer like they always do. Just fill em up.

I didn't grab a picture, but when I was driving by the other day, I saw they had created the path for the concrete with dirt, things are coming along!

Reactions: RBB89
From the usual source:

6EA9870B-67B4-48E9-90C7-B5BC4CF05D79.jpeg.132185e48b0b8c5397c19447f38590c0.jpeg

CC017AE0-4AB4-49CE-9517-4F360A9E87AD.jpeg.7c1c7bdd6f93e85ae5ee5480c40963e1.jpeg

23E7141B-928A-4039-A5B7-0454A5C5A5B5.jpeg.6a546b6fba918ccfe89ab7c838449763.jpeg

I'd like to see three limestone columns (5.5 ft sq at the base tapering to a point at the top) put up: - two in line with the windows on either side of the S Endzone bldg entry;
with a third centered on the entry and slightly forward of the other two (and not as high, say 5.5 foot vs 7 foot)..., and with Hep's Rock moved outside to be in line with the center 5.5 one...

Looking from above, if you drew a line connecting Hep's Rock with the three proposed limestone columns you'd see a diamond shape outline...

Hep's Rock would be closest and centered on the entry, where the players could still access it along with the public too (perhaps reroute "the Walk" to enter here[?])...

On the three columns the first would have something about John Pont and the "67" team + Rose Bowl, on the Right would be a 7 footer with Bill Mallory's bio +, on the left Bo McMillan's...

I'm also for formally naming the field for Bill Mallory while retaining the Stadium name.

I'd like to see the stadium "nickname" become "The Quarry" too while we're at it...

Hope some of this comes into being...

I've been to Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium. It's pretty nice. They have the red fold down seats. That is something we could do but that would take another large sum of money to get that done.

That's why I'm torn.

What they need to do is tear out those uncomfortable aluminum benches that can get either hot or cold depending on the weather and replace then with high impact plastic red seats. If they don't want to spend the money on seats (which they could) then replace them with the plastic benches in red.

I've been to Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium. It's pretty nice. They have the red fold down seats. That is something we could do but that would take another large sum of money to get that done.

My consistent ding on the SEZ is that the lowered height and big spaces between the suites and the seats on the east and west sides makes the stadium look more disjointed than necessary. I was hoping they would build it at the same height as the east side. The extra space could have been used to replace some/all of our bleachers with red seat backs, making up for the loss in seats through seat additions in the SEZ.

Inside the new athletes’ dining hall/gameday club area on the concourse level. There will be two rows of red chairback seats outside.

21jrk1k.jpg
If I understand correctly the football players will have a long walk from the locker room to the dining hall?

I was always a fan of the Sombrero Stadium - the old Tampa stadium You can adjoin lower sides by sloping the concrete:

32b1eeea654fd246c484530702f6f69d.jpg

The end zone gap on the SEZ for Memorial Stadium is a bit odd in that it doesn’t directly connect in to the stands, but I won’t argue that it it’s still a great addition. Kinnick stadium has the gap thing going on as well:

Kinnick-Stadium-Section-135-Row-F-on-4-26-2014.jpg

It will be interesting to see what those gaps will mean to wind direction and intensity.

Reactions: DANC
Our kickers could have a real home field advantage if they get that wind swirl figured out in October and November.

I would run lines with flags across the stadium at various heights on windy days and record the flag movements at various points as compared to the big flag. There may be some interesting wind patterns near the uprights and various ball flight positions. Sounds like a great student project.

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT