ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ update, August 2018

Oh yeah the glass is up. You can see that they had it installed on the first two levels and as of about two weeks ago, they were putting it in up on level three at the time. I believe it’s all installed now...

5am5fl.jpg

At least the NEZ board is there now. There was nothing at last year’s spring game.

Looking great

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'd like to see Fred give away most of the North Endzone seats (to all but the certain sell out games [such as the Bucket] along with some of the upper corner seats, to accredited youth groups.

Those seats are rarely filled and we might generate some goodwill and gain a few life long fans by a move like this that wouldn't cost us a dime.

Would look a whole lot better to have those seats filled on TV too... (I think this is close to what I'vegotwinners had suggested last summer)...
I have looked at the empty seats and thought it would be a good idea to give tickets to organizations like area Boys and Girls clubs, foster kids, and organizations that work with kids that would never be able to attend a game at full price. If they don't have a parent to take them to the game, maybe volunteers from civic groups could take them.

I just remember my first impressions of Assembly Hall, IMS, Busch Stadium, and other venues. I was lucky I could go to these events. Think what it could do for a kid that hasn't been to a game before.

Great question.

1963 and 1964, no permanent bleachers in either end zone:

LARGE

LARGE

This is from 1965 and the NEZ appears to have temp bleachers, because that’s not how the permanent set looked:

LARGE

mkac85.jpg

Going to the offseason before the 1968 season, there are still no permanent bleachers in either end zone:

LARGE

LARGE

But they do show up that year against Michigan:

LARGE

This is 1970, and the regular bleachers are now in both end zones. Both sets have pavement underneath now:

LARGE

great pics.

but things need put into context as well.

while the population of Indiana has maybe grown by a third since these pics, the population of Btown has more than doubled.

Btown, (not counting students), 31,000 in 1960, maybe 35,000 in 65, 42,000 in 1970, over 82,000 today..

i'm guessing the surrounding area has grown a lot as well, with northern Indiana where all the steel and auto manufacturing was, not so much.

remember also that there's a lot more creative accounting in attendance today as well.

MS can be at least a third empty today, and we'll still hear an attendance figure of maybe 42,000, so obviously inflated relative to actual butts in seats.

didn't used to be that way.

point being, that 52,000 plus for the bucket games in the mid 60s, would be equivalent to more like 90,000 today, adjusted for population.

on the other side, while never free, admission was relatively cheap

s-l1600.jpg

1971, good seats for IU-OSU were $6. so figure in the 60s, taking a family of 5, (2 adults, 3 kids), to the game might set you back $10-$13.

so while the population of the area was half what it is today, virtually everyone who really wanted to go, could.

a family of 5 today for a B10 game costs what, around $170 plus parking, (i see individual tics for B10 games are now $70), so they're not getting out of there for less than $200. (parking free back in the day iirc, at least the grass lots were where i always parked).

i wonder what percent of families in south central Indiana today can afford $200 per game to attend IU football games.

Tremendous looking facility with very important functionality in the end zones. Recruiting position should improve in all sports as these market-driving 360-degree programs educate and prepare the student athlete for careers after sports.

Bravo

Brilliant. How about on the plaza leading up to the new SEZ?

That's a good idea but how about on the East side near where the Team ends their Walk so they can still touch it on the way into the stadium. Best of both worlds: players continue to interact with it and the public can too.

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT