ADVERTISEMENT

Sessions lied about communications with Russians

He's so selfish it wouldn't surprise me if he resigns and forgets to pardon Jr and his other minions. I don't know if I'd count on Pence giving pardons. I think pardoning Nixon had a great deal to do with Ford losing to Carter. Pence has the charisma of a door knob and has to know he'd have a hard time elected even without pardoning Trump.

What worries me is a post-presidential Trump.

He is a headline maker -- and will remain so even after he is no longer the POTUS. The level of bitterness on the usual suspects will be unbearable.

What does this one even mean?
The failing NYT foiled US attempt to kill the single most wanted terrorist Al Baghdadi . Their sick agenda over National Security.
I thought he was dead? Guess not....again.
Has anyone noticed that Trump knows only a few adjectives and uses them over and over, whether appropriate or not. Sick, sad, beautiful, bigly. Someone needs to buy him a Thesaurus and show him how to use it. Sad.

What worries me is a post-presidential Trump.

He is a headline maker -- and will remain so even after he is no longer the POTUS. The level of bitterness on the usual suspects will be unbearable.
If he's forced out ala Nixon, I don't think he'll be of much influence. Yes, he'll make a lot of noise and he'll have his fanatical followers, but he'll be a political pariah. The 2018 (and/or 2020) elections will set the Repubs back bigly like happened in 1974.

And just heard that he may do it over recess when they don't have to be approved. How could that be legal?

It's called a recess appointment, and it's legal.

Or you could call it a coup. Which normally isn't.

It's called a recess appointment, and it's legal.

Or you could call it a coup. Which normally isn't.
So during recess, he could appoint, for example, Rudy, who could then fire Mueller. Correct?

And just heard that he may do it over recess when they don't have to be approved. How could that be legal?

I think it is. Obama was accused of doing this but for different reasons -- when his nominations were getting obstructed or delayed.

So during recess, he could appoint, for example, Rudy, who could then fire Mueller. Correct?
I think it is. Obama was accused of doing this but for different reasons -- when his nominations were getting obstructed or delayed.
One must remember, the Constitution was written at a time when it was considered both impractical and unnecessary for Congress to be in session perpetually. The relevant rules (no citations) are:

1. Congress has to at least meet once a year, on the first Monday in December.
2. Neither house can adjourn for more than three days without the consent of the other.
3. If the two houses disagree on a date for adjournment, the President can adjourn Congress until whatever future date he sees proper (no President has ever done this).
4. If Congress is adjourned, the President can call them back into session (last time this was done was in 1948).

SCOTUS has ruled that only an adjournment that is long enough to require the consent of the other house qualifies as a recess. Because of the convenience of modern travel, Congress essentially has the option of staying in session perpetually, by making sure enough members of each house are in DC in order to hold pro forma sessions every three days. This was the method the GOP used to block all recess appointments near the end of the Obama presidency.

However, so long as both houses are of the same party as the President, it's unlikely they will be too scared of recess appointments, and if the Senate does go into recess, the President can fill vacancies as he sees fit. Note, however, that any such appointment is temporary, and lasts until the end of the next Senate session (which essentially means anyone appointed this year would need to go before the Senate for approval before the end of the 2018 session in order to keep his job past that).

One must remember, the Constitution was written at a time when it was considered both impractical and unnecessary for Congress to be in session perpetually. The relevant rules (no citations) are:

2. Neither house can adjourn for more than three days without the consent of the other.
3. If the two houses disagree on a date for adjournment, the President can adjourn Congress until whatever future date he sees proper (no President has ever done this).
4. If Congress is adjourned, the President can call them back into session (last time this was done was in 1948).

SCOTUS has ruled that only an adjournment that is long enough to require the consent of the other house qualifies as a recess. Because of the convenience of modern travel, Congress essentially has the option of staying in session perpetually, by making sure enough members of each house are in DC in order to hold pro forma sessions every three days. This was the method the GOP used to block all recess appointments near the end of the Obama presidency.

However, so long as both houses are of the same party as the President, it's unlikely they will be too scared of recess appointments, and if the Senate does go into recess, the President can fill vacancies as he sees fit. Note, however, that any such appointment is temporary, and lasts until the end of the next Senate session (which essentially means anyone appointed this year would need to go before the Senate for approval before the end of the 2018 session in order to keep his job past that).

So in short; yes but temporarily. ;)

Isnt #3 scary as hell?

Reactions: IUPaterade724

He doesn't need a new AG in for long. Just long enough to fire Mueller.

DFthHikXsAAfKWW.jpg

I've been saying repeatedly that, for all my disagreements with him, if Trump asked me to serve, I'd step up and do whatever good I could as long as I could. I'm not sure that's true any longer. I'm no longer convinced it's even possible to work for this man, unless you are a shameless sycophant.

I've been saying repeatedly that, for all my disagreements with him, if Trump asked me to serve, I'd step up and do whatever good I could as long as I could. I'm not sure that's true any longer. I'm no longer convinced it's even possible to work for this man, unless you are a shameless sycophant.

Whats Mooch's endgame? He is supposed to be a billionaire -- why put up knowing that this is one of the most dysfunctional administration in history. Political aspirations -- using the WH as a media platform? A sycophant but he is a billionaire? Or as they say in the UK, just for a laugh?

Whats Mooch's endgame? He is supposed to be a billionaire -- why put up knowing that this is one of the most dysfunctional administration in history. Political aspirations -- using the WH as a media platform? A sycophant but he is a billionaire? Or as they say in the UK, just for a laugh?
No idea. It baffles the mind.

If I had to guess, Trump. the CEO President has opened up a wormhole of possibilities for billionaire business guys. The 'hell, if that 20watt light bulb can win...' mindset. (Clearly, the US isn't read for a woman never mind a female business person.)
Why would someone that rich even want to go into politics? I mean, we know Trump did it because Obama made fun of him at the correspondents' dinner, but for the most part, you'd think a guy like Mooch would be happy to stay in the private sector and count his money.

Why would someone that rich even want to go into politics? I mean, we know Trump did it because Obama made fun of him at the correspondents' dinner, but for the most part, you'd think a guy like Mooch would be happy to stay in the private sector and count his money.

Few possibilities:
  • Give something back :rolleyes:
  • they enjoy the power
  • its their next personal summit they need to achieve
  • to make a difference to the world
In Mooch's case, very few startup guys hit the big time twice. If they are smart they get out of the game and do something different. (A few exceptions of course.)
He has all the ingredients -- good hair (every president needs good hair to run), quick witted, successful, looks if you are into the Mediterranean looks. And Haaarvard.

Last edited:
Mooch deleted and then changed his story:

Quite the Director of Communications!
It was since revealed to him that the document could easily have been obtained as a freedom of information request after 30 days of it being submitted whichwould have been on 23rd July... the day it was released. He had no further comment.

The funny (also scary) thing about this Administration is the emotional response they always give. React now by running your mouth off and pick up the pieces later

Last edited:
The Senate will not recess. It takes 60 votes, the Dems do not want to risk Rudy and frankly the Republicans do not want to risk another Saturday night massacre.

The only thing standing between Trump and oblivion is Sessions' willingness to take abise.

Reactions: Bill4411
The Senate will not recess. It takes 60 votes, the Dems do not want to risk Rudy and frankly the Republicans do not want to risk another Saturday night massacre.
Seriously? I'm not doubting you, but if that's the case then why has everyone been saying it would be totally up to McConnell to do the "technically not in recess" recess to prevent a recess appointment?

I think it was Chuck Todd I heard mention briefly that there was a maneuver the Dems could use to prevent a recess, but he only mentioned it in passing, didn't elaborate, and they then went to commercial.

Edit to add: Okay, I see you're right, adjournment can be filibustered. That's a no brainer then, it would seem. I wonder why everyone is so scared of a recess appointment when it can -- and has been -- so easily thwarted?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/politics/trump-recess-appointments/index.html

Last edited:
I think many who originally signed on did so with the same sense of duty you've expressed. (I was told by a friend of the Pence family that Mike viewed joining the ticket as a "call to service.") And now, with all the vacancies and the quality of many of his appointments in mind, I also think that many -- like you -- have changed their minds.

Seriously? I'm not doubting you, but if that's the case then why has everyone been saying it would be totally up to McConnell to do the "technically not in recess" recess to prevent a recess appointment?

I think it was Chuck Todd I heard mention briefly that there was a maneuver the Dems could use to prevent a recess, but he only mentioned it in passing, didn't elaborate, and they then went to commercial.

Edit to add: Okay, I see you're right, adjournment can be filibustered. That's a no brainer then, it would seem. I wonder why everyone is so scared of a recess appointment when it can -- and has been -- so easily thwarted?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/politics/trump-recess-appointments/index.html

It strikes me the fear fits a narrative, that this guy can't be trusted to stop shooting himself in the foot. I think the real fear is he tries, ignoring the court case Obama lost. I am not sure Trump is seen as being concerned about precedent, legal or political.

It strikes me the fear fits a narrative, that this guy can't be trusted to stop shooting himself in the foot. I think the real fear is he tries, ignoring the court case Obama lost. I am not sure Trump is seen as being concerned about precedent, legal or political.
So Trump is gonna pull an Andy Jackson? Do the recess appointment, have Mueller fired, and tell the SC to kiss his ass?

I'd almost welcome that. It would have to lead straight to impeachment.

Or would it?

So Trump is gonna pull an Andy Jackson? Do the recess appointment, have Mueller fired, and tell the SC to kiss his ass?

I'd almost welcome that. It would have to lead straight to impeachment.
Let's not get crazy. It's not like Trump got blown or something
I don't have any confidence in the Repubs initiating impeachment. The better odds, slim as they might be, is that he is found totally corrupt and/or treasonously involved with the Russians by Mueller before the 2018 elections, and that the result Democratic majority has the pleasure of either totally crippling him or ousting him altogether.

If he's forced out ala Nixon, I don't think he'll be of much influence. Yes, he'll make a lot of noise and he'll have his fanatical followers, but he'll be a political pariah. The 2018 (and/or 2020) elections will set the Repubs back bigly like happened in 1974.

Nah, his groupies love him more than they love Jesus.

He will make sure they destroy this country in his name.

Don't forget, these freaks were actually bragging they were ready to start shooting people if the election were "stolen" from Trump.

Alex Jones is calling for an actual Civil War.

Trump will sit back and LOVE it because they'll be stroking his ego will killing others in his name.

If you were lucky enough to see Tucker Carlson interviewing Jeff Sessions tonight in El Salvador you missed a great moment. I was on my treadmill watching Tucker interview Jeff Sessions and Tucker said they had a picture of an arrest of major kingpin and for about a second the screen showed Donald Trump jr. before it went blank. Tucker was caught off guard and it took him about 5 seconds to collect himself...it was just an outstanding moment of live television.

I don't have any confidence in the Repubs initiating impeachment. The better odds, slim as they might be, is that he is found totally corrupt and/or treasonously involved with the Russians by Mueller before the 2018 elections, and that the result Democratic majority has the pleasure of either totally crippling him or ousting him altogether.

1. I wouldn't put it past them to attempt a rigging of the 2018 elections. In fact, I'm expecting it.

2. We just had a general say this.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-nuclear-idUSKBN1AC1TI

"Admiral Scott Swift was speaking at the Australian National University in Canberra when he was asked whether he would be prepared to launch a nuclear attack on China if ordered to do so by Trump.

"The answer would be yes," he said."

It can't get any scarier than that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT