ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Covid/Vaccine Question

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
So they had a big long radio show here trying to encourage vaccination.

Big ol’ hospital company doctor talking science medicine.

He says (paraphrase) “vaccinations help prevent folks from getting Delta variant, and help vaccinated folks who DO get it from getting hospital/level sick.”

Says (paraphrase) “folks who got the original Covid should still get vaccinations because we don’t know if the antibodies they made through their immune system will have the same effect on the Delta variant.”

This makes no common sense to me.

Seems to me that if a vaccination dampens the spread and impact of Delta, so should natural antibodies.

sooo WTF?

Of course media did not ask - they stuck to the script.

So why is a vaccine better than a natural antibody at fighting Delta?

I’ll hang up and listen.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Natural infection in a large group of people gives a wide range of effectiveness in antibody response. Some great, some OK, some not much at all.

Vaccination in a large group of people gives a narrow range of effectiveness in antibody response. Almost all are great. The dose of spike protein produced is high and uniform.

So if the naturally infected people also get vaccinated...
not much at all becomes great
OK becomes great
and great stays pretty great, without added harm, other than a bit more of a transient reaction.

I don't think any of that analysis is specifically related to the delta variant, though.

He may be referring to the fact that vaccine-generated antibodies have been tested in the lab vs delta, whereas infection-generated antibodies have not, so indeed we don't know for sure.

He says (paraphrase) “vaccinations help prevent folks from getting Delta variant, and help vaccinated folks who DO get it from getting hospital/level sick.”

Says (paraphrase) “folks who got the original Covid should still get vaccinations because we don’t know if the antibodies they made through their immune system will have the same effect on the Delta variant.”

Seems to me that if a vaccination dampens the spread and impact of Delta, so should natural antibodies.

sooo WTF?

I’ll hang up and listen.
You seem to be assuming that the effect of COVID antibodies from having had it before would be the same as COVID antibodies from a vaccine. I'm not a doctor, and I slept in my own bed last night, but I don't think that assumption is accurate. Any old antibodies won't necessarily do . . . which is why new variations of COVID may require variation specific boosters.

We'll be like the guy in the cartoon who leaks water after having had a bunch of shots . . . .

sooo WTF?

I’ll hang up and listen.
The iU guy talks about this often. With a vaccine we know how many antibodies one should get, it's been studied. When it comes to natural immunity, we have an idea how much really sick people get because they are hospitalized and some (not all) have had tests. We know what they had and can judge how it weakens. There just aren't studies about people with mild infections. Largely no one in that category has had a reason to have their antibody levels checked. So we really have no clue how much protection people have who have had mild or even symptom-free infections.

The iU guy talks about this often. With a vaccine we know how many antibodies one should get, it's been studied. When it comes to natural immunity, we have an idea how much really sick people get because they are hospitalized and some (not all) have had tests. We know what they had and can judge how it weakens. There just aren't studies about people with mild infections. Largely no one in that category has had a reason to have their antibody levels checked. So we really have no clue how much protection people have who have had mild or even symptom-free infections.

your answer is more like what I suspect

my son had mild Covid, got over it in 3 days

common sense says he probably produce fewer antibodies than someone who fought off a higher-load or someone who had a worse reaction due to body-chemistry specifics, or folks who had to fight longer.

but common sense still tells me all four of those folks would have SOME level of anti-bodies/t-cells to protect them from a later infection and a later variant

your answer is more like what I suspect

my son had mild Covid, got over it in 3 days

common sense says he probably produce fewer antibodies than someone who fought off a higher-load or someone who had a worse reaction due to body-chemistry specifics, or folks who had to fight longer.

but common sense still tells me all four of those folks would have SOME level of anti-bodies/t-cells to protect them from a later infection and a later variant
It's just like the flu ~ seriously.

https://www.popsci.com/story/health/get-flu-twice-one-year/

There's an Israeli study out now suggesting that the antibodies from infection last longer and are more effective against Delta than those from the injection.

Yet to be reviewed, but some interesting preliminary info.

Last edited:
??

Reactions: mike41703
That is great news. He has not spoken much since school ended which was before the studies. I think his next talk is Wednesday and I am sure it will come up.
I don’t think anyone really knows for sure what the hell is going on. The whole thing has been so ‘infected’ with political bullshit from the beginning many people don’t know who or what to believe any more.

I don’t think anyone really knows for sure what the hell is going on. The whole thing has been so ‘infected’ with political bullshit from the beginning many people don’t know who or what to believe any more.
That report seems to be "science by press release" which is one step up from you tube video science. Nobody should pay attention to non peer-reviewed study reports.

That report seems to be "science by press release" which is one step up from you tube video science. Nobody should pay attention to non peer-reviewed study reports.
people in government (and elsewhere) have been lying about all kinds of sh!t for so long.....

on both sides.

Fauci had a quote not so long ago that went something like "I can't understand why people aren't all getting the vaccine?"

It's very simple Anthony, a great number of people don't trust you, (and those around you)
I rest my case

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT